• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pre-2014 AX 338LM - what do I need to know?

The_Next_Generation

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2011
Foothills of Mt. Rainier
I’ve been taking my AX SA out to a mile with a sweet 115gr DTAC load, but it’s very vulnerable to wind. The 6mm does great under 1300-1400yd but after that seems to run out of gas..so to speak... The thing is, I want to be more consistent and I’d like to be able to shoot even further.

I’m looking at a Pre-2014 AX 338 because I like the action and readily availabile barrels in 300NM if I want to give that a shot. I know, the AXMC rigs are all over the place for $6.5k but it seems a used Pre14 can be had for a lot less. Also, if for some reason I need to sell the rifle AIs seem to move easier than other “custom” options...just my opinion.

What do guys think of the pre-14 rifles? What would be a “good deal”? Anything in particular I need to look for?

Thanks!

Last edited:
The standard AX .338 rifles are excellent values and are just as accurate and rugged.
The difference is just that you won't have the quick change barrel system so to change the barrel, you do need to have a action wrench etc.
If you have the barrel change kit, it's a 30 minute job (if you are being slow about it).

I would guess you would be in the $5k or under range depending on the deal you find, possibly less, depending on if you find a motivated seller.

If you already have a SA AX and don't plan to be changing calibers all around, the standard LA AX in .338 setup for either .338 or .300 Norma is a great way to go.

One thing however is if you get one that is already setup in .338LM with a long barrel, you might just try shooting it first before spending the money on the .300 Norma barrel as the .338LM with 300gr or flatlines will push a mile easy and do 2000 yards just fine.

The standard AX .338 rifles are excellent values and are just as accurate and rugged.
The difference is just that you won't have the quick change barrel system so to change the barrel, you do need to have a action wrench etc.
If you have the barrel change kit, it's a 30 minute job (if you are being slow about it).

I would guess you would be in the $5k or under range depending on the deal you find, possibly less, depending on if you find a motivated seller.

If you already have a SA AX and don't plan to be changing calibers all around, the standard LA AX in .338 setup for either .338 or .300 Norma is a great way to go.

One thing however is if you get one that is already setup in .338LM with a long barrel, you might just try shooting it first before spending the money on the .300 Norma barrel as the .338LM with 300gr or flatlines will push a mile easy and do 2000 yards just fine.

Yep, I considered selling the SA and getting a LA, and then getting caliber conversions for everything. Honestly though, I really like my AX SA. I haven’t handled the LA, but I’d imagine it’s too bulky to really make sense with a 308 class round in it. Cool feature, but just doesn’t seem like something I’d want to lug around if I was only shooting short action rounds.

Definitely need the long barrel. 20” pipes are sexy but this is going to be strictly for 1k and beyond. No point in burning 338 on anything closer when I have a great 6mm, imho..unless I’m trying to smack an elk.

I know this is discussed a lot, but what should I expect as far as .5-.75moa barrel life on a factory AI 338lm barrel? At this point I’d probably stick with just one barrel at a time. Once the 338 gets shot out I’ll probably want to try the 300...or even a 375CT but that’s a whole different thread lmao

Last edited:
I love it. Round count is around 200 (would have to check brass count). I bought it from Mile High in 2013.

2013 AX338 w/20 shoots the Hornady 285 ELD-M @2760 and averages about .5
It is loud and obnoxious when you set off 90+ grains of powder, but I love it..