• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pre 2014 AX worth it?

CEO10KaDAY

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 7, 2023
Denver
Is the single cal .338LM if NIB worth $6 thousand?

I’ve been reading that it’s possible to change to similar calibers 300WM/PRC, although changing the barrel isn’t considered “quick”.

It’s only been factory fired though.

Yes I reload.

My last ELR gun was a bergara and want a significant upgrade. Not going custom unless I can custom build a multi cal platform.

yes , but only if it's worth it to you ( your time , your money )

The cartridge change process will be different but you can definitely build a badass switch-barrel rifle going the custom route. And, for $6k, you might be able to build two. Long and short action CDG’s(the new kid in town) with your choice of bolt heads

Reactions: CEO10KaDAY
The cartridge change process will be different but you can definitely build a badass switch-barrel rifle going the custom route. And, for $6k, you might be able to build two. Long and short action CDG’s(the new kid in town) with your choice of bolt heads

Okay so that’s obviously a viable option. But building one requires waiting 7-10+ months too.

I don’t want to wait. Summer is just getting started.

Reactions: The D
Okay so that’s obviously a viable option. But building one requires waiting 7-10+ months too.

I don’t want to wait. Summer is just getting started.
Alright, then buy the AI

Alright, then buy the AI
Yeah, think that's the move. Instead of buying barrel change gear, I'll just make the 338LM my dedicated mile weapon, and then go pick up a 6.5 cm off the shelf somewhere.

Reactions: The D
I have 5 AI's 2 of which are non-switch barrel they are an AI-AE and AI-AX . The barrel change on the AI is very easy and takes me maybe 20 min. The most common issues is not using the right barrel vise. I use the Viper and never had a barrel slip. I tried the Wheeler with the oak blocks and rosin but it slipped the viper never had the same issues. I have talked with Dave Tooley about torquing the barrel and he said 100fp is over kill. When I torque my barrel on I do it in 3 passes 30,65 then final at 85fp
So I say yes a new AXMC is well worth $6000. You can shoot 300 Norma. And you can buy a 300wm bolt and just swap the firing pin and shot 300prc,6,5prc or 300wm and any other cal that takes that bolt face.
If you decide to get the AI I would be happy to walk you though changing barrels.

Yeah, think that's the move. Instead of buying barrel change gear, I'll just make the 338LM my dedicated mile weapon, and then go pick up a 6.5 cm off the shelf somewhere.
You’re welcome for helping make your decision. Can I shoot it when you pick it up😀

Can’t see the ad anymore but I’m sure it will be awesome.

Can I use your credit card to buy some more barrels for you?😀
Haha yes of course. I think the barrel is in decent shape. He claims it’s only been factory test fired, but the muzzle brake may tell a diff story from pictures.

Weird the link doesn’t work. See if you can look up Item # 972460067 on gunbroker without a link. I am fairly sure you can still view items that ended.

Haha yes of course. I think the barrel is in decent shape. He claims it’s only been factory test fired, but the muzzle brake may tell a diff story from pictures.

Weird the link doesn’t work. See if you can look up Item # 972460067 on gunbroker without a link. I am fairly sure you can still view items that ended.
Nope. But even if it’s a few dozen rounds or so, that’s nothing