• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pre 64 Model 70 .220 Swift SHORT CHAMBER???

dillonduncan

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2018
CALLING ON PRE 64 OWNERS. I have a pre 64 model 70 .220 Swift w/ factory varmint barrel. Handed down from my grandfather, and have never shot it. I started with fresh brass, shot some ladders for load dev and am going back to load at my node. Some of these fresh casings chambered really tightly. I measured the shoulder on my fire formed cases and they measure .007-.010 shorter than any other 220 swift I have loaded for before. I have to bottom out my full length sizer to the point that it is seriously over camming the press to get a .001-.002 shoulder bump from the fired formed cases. I actually can’t even get them far enough back on most cases. So, I called my cousin who shot this rifle in the past, and he recalled even factory ammo chambering with a hard bolt close.

So QUESTION: Has anyone on here ever heard of pre 64s having a short chamber? Possibly inconsistencies in Winchester chamber reamers in the early 60s? This rifle was manufactured 1960-1962ish. I don’t know what else it could possibly be, but I can not get my shoulders bumped back below the fire formed dimension, nor far enough back to chamber with a smooth bolt close.

I am considering getting it rebarreled just to start fresh and rule that out, but don’t really want to mess with a factory rifle that is fairly rare if I don’t have to. Any comments or help would be appreciated.

Late production rifles did have some tuning issues. Find a smith who has chamber gauges. If short, run a reamer in and correct it. Not a big deal. You could optimize the throat at the same time. Don’t waste that barrel.

Last edited:
Another option would be to put the die in a lathe and remove a small amount from the base.

I have had to do this in the past.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
This is true Gentlemen.
But when I had my .220 swift I reloaded with my Dillon 550.
Not such an easy task with that style shell holder.
With a single stage yes that is easily doable.

Late production rifles did have some tuning issues. Find a smith who has chamber gauges. If short, run a reamer in and correct it. Not a big deal. You could optimize the throat at the same time. Don’t waste that barrel.
This is definitely the right answer.