• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Pre-'64 Winchester M70 build

animalmother85

Private
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2010
South of Heaven, PA
I have found a Pre-'64 Winchester action for a decent price. It's just the action though, no bolt, no trigger, no bolt release, nothing. I'd like to buy this for my next build, however, it's not as easy to find parts for it. I am looking for all the parts listed, plus some of the smaller parts that are not listed. If anyone who has built these or knows about these actions, I'd like some insight on this. The action I'm looking at was manufactured in 1960 and it is in pretty good shape other then the typical wear associated with a rifle of that age. Where can find the parts necessary? I'd like parts that are better then what it came with from the factory. Also, what else is recommended with a build that uses this style action?

Re: Pre-'64 Winchester M70 build

I have access to most of the parts you need.

I also have a source to one piece bolts. It's not a direct drop in, but it can be made to work and still be presentable. I've built a couple operational DDM rifles used in the middle east this way and they've all proven very reliable.

It'll cost a bit more in parts, but the added assurance of solid performance may be of benefit.

Good luck regardless.

Chad

You mean this one?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=210922051

M70in270.jpg

This M70 as a 30-06 in Alaska had killed:
2 grizzlies
6 moose
10 mountain goats
6 sheep
109 Sitka Black tailed deer
16 black bear
2 caribou

Then the owner died. I got it from his nephew for $550 with Redfield scope.

I installed a Bordon stock, a Pac-Nor 270 barrel, a Leupold scope, a non slip sling, and Harris bi-pod.

It now weighs 8.9 pounds when loaded.

I killed in 2008 and 2009 with it:
8 mule deer

What does it all mean?
It is like the story about the 100 year old axe, that had been through 4 handles and 2 heads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have access to most of the parts you need.

I also have a source to one piece bolts. It's not a direct drop in, but it can be made to work and still be presentable. I've built a couple operational DDM rifles used in the middle east this way and they've all proven very reliable.

It'll cost a bit more in parts, but the added assurance of solid performance may be of benefit.

Good luck regardless.

Chad </div></div>

The other option is to build off of a Montana Rifle Company 1999 action. They cost about $810.

I didn't see that action for $10 on gunbroker, but I am watching it. What would be more worth while once it's all said and done? I'm looking for something to supplement my Badger action in .260. I already have an FN PBR XP with pre-'64 claw extractor and an old 3rd Reich stamped K98K, so I'm pretty fond of and set on the claw extractor. Also, is there any literature online I could brush up on on the particulars of building this type of action? I'm limited to the internet for the next month or so until I redeploy back home.

C. Dixon, is your source someone online or is this a hook-up you have through some clandestine account, for lack of better words. Sorry for the noob questions, the google turns up limited information unlike Remington 700s and ar15s.

I appreciate all the responses.

I have a small assortment of parts and Dakota Arms is right up the street. I was once a manager for them (Nesika actually)

No secret squirrel stuff.
smile.gif

Honestly that's more of a question for you to decide bud.

If you can source parts on the cheap and enjoy scrounging then go for it.

A complete action is convenient. Just a matter of what your time is worth to you.

now if I get a bolt from a different action, what does it require for the proper fit and finish? Is there any place that I can read up on this? Any write ups somewhere?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: animalmother85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">now if I get a bolt from a different action, what does it require for the proper fit and finish?... </div></div>

IMHO you would need a talented gunsmith, not the local hack at the fishing/hunting shack in town; But someone who builds rifles for a living. Unless you happen to be a very skilled machinist and have all the tools.

Good luck

Jerry

Lost a lot of my small parts on a pre64 when the smith died on me. Was able to put it back together with parts from www.wisnersinc.com they were a great help. barry