Pre-Fit Barrel Shootout? Remington 700

Cclary60

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2020
Arkansas
For those of you that have re-barreled a Remington 700, what did you use? I’m considering doing the Remage conversion.

I’m new to the bolt-gun building game. So far I’ve looked at barrels from the following manufacturers:

1. Preferred barrels
2. X-Caliber
3. Criterion
4. McGowen

All of these range from $350-$500 for a finished barrel chambered in .243 win.

I’m trying to decide which one to go with for a 26” .243 win build threaded 5/8x24.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: auskip07

Average guy

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2018
I have 4 Criterion Remage barrels. They are all very good shooters. The 6.5 creedmoor has been.4. The 2 6xc barrels have been.3. The 783 Remington prefit in 6br is a .4 barrel. I highly recommend these barrels. The fit and finish is top notch. I also recommend Northland shooters supply. James is very knowledgeable and will get you what you need.

Reactions: Matt_KJ and AHC222

Jabot

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2014
I ve got both a criterion and a McGowan. Both shoot good. Criterion is a 223 ,I shoot the 75 gr. Hornady bthp ,7 twist , 26" 3010 fps , .3-.4 inch groups. The McGowan is a 6.5x47 , 26" ,8 twist. Shooting Berger 140 hybrids at 2810 fps , .3-.4 inch groups. The criterion was fairly easy to get to shoot, not to much load development, the McGowan took a little more work to get shooting good, especially compared to the other 6.5x47 barrels I've had

XLR308

Old Salt
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2018
Grand Junction, Colorado
I have a savage prefit in 243win 1-8" x 26"that has been excellent from the start.
Finding accurate loads with it was very easy with everything from 88-105 grain bullets with several different powders.
I don't think you would regret getting one.

Cclary60

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2020
Arkansas
I have a savage prefit in 243win 1-8" x 26"that has been excellent from the start.
Finding accurate loads with it was very easy with everything from 88-105 grain bullets with several different powders.
I don't think you would regret getting one.
I’m needing one for a Remington 700 short action. What brand is yours?

bunsen27

ACME Labs
Belligerents
Jan 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I have two Criterion Remage barrels procured through James at Northland Shooter Supply. One is a 26" Varmint Contour 1 in 8" twist with .223Rem with a Wylde chamber. It has been a phenomenal barrel for both speed and accuracy for multiple bullet weights (55, 69, 73, & 75). I like the first one so much I made another Remage in .308Win with a 1 in 10" twist. Originally it was a 26" Varmint contour that I had cut back to 22" when I had a local gunsmith thread it 5/8-24. It has also been great on accuracy for both 168 & 175 loads. I'm using the NSS barrel nut & lug for both setups.

Reactions: Average guy

Cclary60

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2020
Arkansas
I have two Criterion Remage barrels procured through James at Northland Shooter Supply. One is a 26" Varmint Contour 1 in 8" twist with .223Rem with a Wylde chamber. It has been a phenomenal barrel for both speed and accuracy for multiple bullet weights (55, 69, 73, & 75). I like the first one so much I made another Remage in .308Win with a 1 in 10" twist. Originally it was a 26" Varmint contour that I had cut back to 22" when I had a local gunsmith thread it 5/8-24. It has also been great on accuracy for both 168 & 175 loads. I'm using the NSS barrel nut & lug for both setups.
I’m thinking I will be going the Criterion route, but will probably wait to see if they do any Black Friday deals in November. I have a Criterion in one of my AR’s and it’s been exceptional.

spmcpeek

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2020
Louisiana
I’m thinking I will be going the Criterion route, but will probably wait to see if they do any Black Friday deals in November. I have a Criterion in one of my AR’s and it’s been exceptional.
I ordered one about a month ago and was quoted 10-16 weeks for delivery. If you need it anytime soon you may want to order it asap.

spelunk

Gun Loving Redneck
Belligerents
Feb 19, 2010
Prosser, WA
I have used #s: 1, 3, 4, before. I would rate them 4, 3, 1, in terms of accuracy and results from each barrel. Granted I have only had one of each so far, and a sample size of 1 doesn't really mean jack shit.

aljones_315

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2018
New Mexico
IVE DONE 3 CRITERION and 1 mcgowen 6.5 cm up to 300 win and 1 @ 223 all shot and performed well buy a non factory recoil lug when you do it and of course the nut northland shooters have never failed me ...

i hear guys all the time crap on remage savage style bbls with nuts let me tell you the only bbl i ever had come loose on a rifle was a shouldered bbl where the smith had the action to measure off of etc ive never had a remage come loose or have issues. and ive shot out 2 x6.5cm remage bbls between 2500 and 2800 rounds.

Vamike9

Patriot
Belligerents
Feb 17, 2017
Virginia
www.youtube.com
Criterion
For those of you that have re-barreled a Remington 700, what did you use? I’m considering doing the Remage conversion.

I’m new to the bolt-gun building game. So far I’ve looked at barrels from the following manufacturers:

1. Preferred barrels
2. X-Caliber
3. Criterion
4. McGowen

All of these range from $350-$500 for a finished barrel chambered in .243 win.

I’m trying to decide which one to go with for a 26” .243 win build threaded 5/8x24.

Thoughts are appreciated.
Criterion was consistently more accurate than my Savage Stealth 6.5 CM factory bbl...
Will it be a night and day difference?
Probably not...
However, they are better quality and very consistent at distance.

Reactions: aljones_315

Cclary60

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2020
Arkansas
Criterion
Criterion was consistently more accurate than my Savage Stealth 6.5 CM factory bbl...
Will it be a night and day difference?
Probably not...
However, they are better quality and very consistent at distance.
I’m sure any pre-fit barrel will be more accurate than the modern 2020 factory Remington sporter barrel!

Vamike9

Patriot
Belligerents
Feb 17, 2017
Virginia
www.youtube.com
I’m sure any pre-fit barrel will be more accurate than the modern 2020 factory Remington sporter barrel!
Yes, Remington is hit and miss with their off the shelf rifles these days.
My BA Stealth was a crazy accurate rifle with its factory bbl, however, consistency is what Criterion brought to the table.

Criterion has performed nicely, .5 in bbl everyday, if I do my part.

Side note, my Rem 700 5R Milspec rifles shoot amazingly well, with no need to change bbls out for accuracy.

Cclary60

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2020
Arkansas
Yes, Remington is hit and miss with their off the shelf rifles these days.
My BA Stealth was a crazy accurate rifle with its factory bbl, however, consistency is what Criterion brought to the table.

Criterion has performed nicely, .5 in bbl everyday, if I do my part.

Side note, my Rem 700 5R Milspec rifles shoot amazingly well, with no need to change bbls out for accuracy.
My Remington is a new 700 ADL I got for cheap, otherwise I never would have purchased a modern Remington with all their issues. It’s actually got a youth model stock and a short barrel on it. Definitely not set up for long range.

Matt_KJ

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
May 27, 2019
The Green Mountain State
I have a R700 set-up with 2 Remage barrels. The first is a Criterion 26” MTU Contour threaded 5/8x24 (purchased from James at NSS) that shoots 155 to 175 Gr projectiles very easily with expected velocities. The second is an ER Shaw from a fellow hide member chambered in 260 Rem that’s 26” MTU contour and it hammers a 130 Gr Berger Hybrid at 2925 FPS in .4’s all day long.

No issues with either and barrel changes are a breeze!

chevy_man

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2019
McGowan is my go-to.

Criterion and x-caliber have both shot well.

I generally go with whoever has the caliber and twist I want.

Hickswr

Private
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2019
Alabama
Just did my first remage conversion and went with a Wilson barrel from bugholebarrels. 6CM and it shoots sub half MOA. Best part was the price $342 which included shipping and threading and I had it in hand within 2 weeks of placing the order.

Reactions: aljones_315

bunsen27

ACME Labs
Belligerents
Jan 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Interesting I didn't realize Shilen had entered the Remage market. I have a .260 Rem large shank Savage barrel from circa 2013 that has been absolutely amazing! I'd use one on a Remage in a heartbeat based on previous experience.

I got my Shilen from Jim at NSS, I see James (the new owner) still carries the Savage, but not the Remage. Possibly because he has the exclusivity deal with Criterion for the Remage?

emonda7

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2019
Interesting I didn't realize Shilen had entered the Remage market. I have a .260 Rem large shank Savage barrel from circa 2013 that has been absolutely amazing! I'd use one on a Remage in a heartbeat based on previous experience.

I got my Shilen from Jim at NSS, I see James (the new owner) still carries the Savage, but not the Remage. Possibly because he has the exclusivity deal with Criterion for the Remage?
Removed comment. You were referring to Shilen, not Criterion. My bad

Last edited:

MakeSawdust

Private
Belligerents
Feb 25, 2017
I have had 3 243ai criterion savage prefit barrels that were all easily sub half moa out to 800 yds (farthest I tested extensively). I have had 2 223 wylde criterion savage barrels on bolt guns. They were sub 3/4 moa and consistently around half moa with NO load development across multiple bullets and powders. I use them to practice for prs style shooting with no brake. They are accurate enough to shoot 1 moa targets from barricades out to 800 yds in calm conditions. I don't shoot a lot of groups with them except to confirm zero. Normally five shots at right around .5-.6" at 100 yds. Not crazy impressive, but very good for the amount of effort I have put into load development (none).

I have also had a 243 AI barrel that was a gunsmith chambered TL3 barrel on a Criterion blank. It was easily sub half moa. I have a 6 Dasher also on a Criterion blank, chambered by a gunsmith for a TL3 that I just got done doing break in on. I shot 2 5 shot groups at 100 to zero with a random load and the groups were 3/8". I shot the rest of the first 100 rds doing drills off of barricades etc. I have not done any load development yet. The break-in load was using 105 Hornady hpbt as well, so not really a premium target bullet.

Depending on what you are looking to spend, Criterion is a very good option for not a lot of money. I buy the prefits from James at NSS. 10-16 weeks has been the standard quoted lead time for anything that isn't instock in the 4 or 5 years I have been shooting them. They are a fantastic barrel for the money especially for prs or hunting where half moa is good enough to be successful.

While it is typical for a Criterion prefit to shoot .3-.4 moa during the sweet spot in the barrels life, it seems like barrels fit by a really good gunsmith shoot tighter easier. It is a cost vs performance compromise. If you don't need better than half moa, a Criterion prefit from NSS is a damn good value. If you are trying to shoot as small as possible, a blank fit by a good gunsmith typically does a little better.