• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pre/post-Shot Checklist

Svendogg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2013
Seattle
After watching some of my groups fall apart last weekend due to basic shooting Fundamentals not being followed, I started thinking that a basic checklist to review during my trips to the range would be a good idea. Thinking along the line of a "pre-flight checklist" before every shot (or at least every few shots) to drill these basic, yet fundamental steps into muscle memory. Was thinking about making them into something similar to a drop chart that's on my rifle, so I don't forget. For me, I need that step-by-step repetition to build it into muscle memory. It drives me crazy when my groups fall apart or I miss that long range shot, due to some basic fundamental that I just didn't think about.
So I was looking for input on what you guys thought what items would be good to incorporate into a "pre/post-shot checklist". Would like to keep around 10 items or so, that are just a quick step-by-step reminder when reviewing before every shot. I'll format them into a little card, and post it up...

Here's a draft, I know there is a lot of room for improvement, and would appreciate your input.

PRE/POST SHOT CHECKLIST:
- Proper & Consistent Rear Support
- Consistent Shoulder Placement
- Square Behind Rifle
- Load Bipod Consistently (body weight)
- Natural Point of Aim
- Consistent Cheek Placement/Pressure
- Trigger Control/Follow thru (Dry Fire btwn shots)
- Breathe... Natural Pause
- Manage Recoil Consistently
- Watch Bullet Impact
- Don’t Lift Head btwn Shots

Dry fire dry fire dry fire dry fire dry fire dry fire dry fire...muscle memory needs a helluva lot more repetition than you will ever get thru live fire

One item I might add is to hold the trigger back during recoil. This is a large part of follow-through but might be worth stating.

I have a process:

1. Without looking at target, shoulder the rifle and align sights, cognizant of the 5 factors of a steady position.
2. Adjust NPA.
3. Place focus to reticle/front sight.
4. Pull trigger SMOOTHLY.
5. Follow-through.

Annotate shots and conditions in a data book. Proper use of the data book will help you understand the possible causes of shot misplacement.

Last edited:
A couple of other things:

Elevation properly dialed?
Parallax adjusted?
Scope level?

may be a "gimmie" but some "pre's" i'd add to all of the above:

"stretching" before a range seesion

make sure that the path to the target and beyond is clear, good backstop in place.

finger is clear of trigger, safety is engaged

eyes and ears are in place

muzzle discipline

ensure action is "locked" properly, (round chambered easily, nothing looks or feels strange)

check / notice wind & any mirage at firing line and downrange now and before firing.

check for any slope that may be a factor

Elevation properly dialed?
Parallax adjusted?

- Proper & Consistent Rear Support
- Consistent Shoulder Placement
- Square Behind Rifle
Scope level?
- Load Bipod Consistently (body weight)
- Natural Point of Aim
- Consistent Cheek Placement/Pressure
Place focus to reticle/front sight.

consistent grip pressure, finger placement

consistent support hand placement

- Breathe... Natural Pause

relax, stay as comfortable as you can

Pull - squeeze trigger SMOOTHLY. straight back, using pad of the index finger

feel "surprised" by the firing

- Trigger Control/Follow thru

hold the trigger back during AND AFTER recoil

- Manage Recoil Consistently
- Watch Bullet Impact
- Don’t Lift Head btwn Shots

some "post's":

take another breath, relax

don't be in a hurry to eject shell. do it deliberately, recover brass

record results if need be

make any adjustments / corrections

allow barrel to cool a little if need be

repeat

All,
Thank you very much for your input! Some very good and consistent input. I'll see if I can boil it down into a concise checklist that I/anyone could pull out at the range just as a way to reinforce those fundamentals. As 19scout said, the majority of effort in reinforcing should not be done at the range, but at home. This should help keep me focused on those fundamentals though when at the range, not day dreaming of tiny one hole groups. Inevitably slipping on proper shoulder placement, trigger follow thru, or whatever it may be that day, and pulling shots. Hopefully that practice at home, when behind the rifle at the range being very regimented with my checklist, will translate to better/more consistent accuracy in the field. Anyways keep it up, like I said I'll try to put that updated list together and share it. And thanks again for all your input.

Mental management is what you want, focused thoughts on what's important to good shooting before, during and after executing the firing tasks. I posted earlier about it. Attempting to process everything important to good shooting all at once can be overwhelming; and, when overwhelmed, your mental state may prevent you from integrating all that is important to good shooting to achieve the desired result. Looking at a check list does not assure mental management, in fact, it thwarts it. Proper use of a score book would serve you better in all aspects of your development. It forces an orderly process and procedure, as well as disciplined executions, which allow you to visualize it all without need to think about it all at once.

At any rate, incorporate the score book into your practice schedule and then assess your groups, or misplaced shots with a meaningful list, one that lists the possible causes for vertical or horizontal grouping patterns .With these analytical tools, you will be able to put it together from the start.

Last edited: