• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pre-scouting

weightmask634

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2023
Utah
What are you doing with your rifle when you arrive to the hunting area 3-4 days before the season? When you’re away from your vehicle and out scouting, whether it be glassing or boots on the ground. Do you carry your rifle with you at all times, or hope and pray while they are stored in the vehicle? Assuming you don’t need it for protection.

If I’m scouting, there’s no way I’m lugging around an extra 6 or more pounds.

Especially if it’s going to get me extra attention when it comes to dealing with the deer police.

I’d carry a sidearm for protection if I felt it was warranted. Or bear spray.

On my shoulder all the time. I just find a field or large clearing away from the hunting area and practice every infantry parade and battlefield formation drill from the "Rifle and Light Infantry Tactics; for Exercise and Maneuvres of Troops when acting as Light Infantry or Riflemen" written by General William J. Hardee, First Corps. Army of Tennessee. Revised 1862 edition. 24 hours a day, only stopping for bathroom breaks and to make hardtack and coffee. Until it is officially opening day and that is when I get the bugle out and play the muster call...
smiley_smartass.gif

Not sure if you are hunting in Maryland (where I shot my 1st buck bty) or elsewhere. Not really an issue here in AZ, but to avoid possible issues with the "deer police" with regards to carrying a rifle before deer season, get a tag for a different species that is in season. Coyote is pretty much always in season and does not need a tag as it falls under the "general fur bearing predator" category. I sometimes just buy and over the counter mountain lion tag. Now up to an outrageous $15 from $13 in years past.
I don't have much use for a mountain lion or coyote but it can be useful have a tag on you.

Our season is 2 months. I don't go out until it's open, generally not the first couple weeks either. Let all the idiots clear out.

But I'll carry a rifle whenever I damn well feel like it. Coyotes are always in season.

Idgaf if deer police stop me and i have a xyz blablabla rifle or bazooka. Nothing states carrying a rifle around is illegal. Harvesting an animal out of season or without tag is, so they can just sit on top of their hill and glass me all they want.

I usually dont take my deer rifle though, ill drag an ar for protection and coyotes. My ar weighs less and if something should happen and i drop it, i am not fucking up my good rifle.

Also, never leave guns in cars unless absolutely needed.