• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which suppressor?

• TBAC Ultra 7 with CB

Votes: 41 40.6%
  • TBAC Ultra 7 direct thread

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Dead Air Noman

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • Q Trash Panda

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Omega 300

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Omega 36M

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 15 14.9%

• Total voters

bonesaw00001

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2019
Hey Y'all,

Is there a consensus best first suppressor purchase?

My use case is mostly range and hunting:
Caliber: .30 cal to .223
Action: bolt action or semiauto rifles
Mount: I've got no direct thread or QD mount preference.
Price: <$1200
Weight: <1 lbs, premium for lightweight
Length: <8" certainly
Extra: Not planning on anything exotic like SBRs or full-auto use.

I hear there are likely some new options coming out for 2020 Shot Show later this month, but barring anything groundbreaking, it'd be great to get a good idea of the top options.

From reading the forums (and precision rifle blog - https://precisionrifleblog.com/2019/02/02/best-suppressor/), it sounds like top picks are:

TBAC
- Ultra 7 with CB mount - $1095 - 9.7 oz + ~3 oz for compact brake - 7"
- Ultra 7 Direct Thread - $1045 - 11.5 oz - 7"

Dead Air

- Nomad 30 - $745 - 14 oz - 6.5"
-- Direct thread or possible Keymo QD mount

Q
- Trash Panda - $949 - 11.8oz - 6.9"
-- Direct thread onto a proprietary brake

SilencerCo
- Omega 300 - $904 - 14 oz - 7.09"
- Omega 36M - $949 - 9.2oz short - 16.5oz long + ~3 oz asr muzzle brake - 5.1-7.6" (bonus, I can run the shorty version on my 9mm pistol)
-- Some option to direct thread both.

They all seem to have about the same dB reduction for .308 on their marketing materials, and I can't find independent confirmation (such as someplace like ModernRifleman).

1. Which should I pick up? Is there a defining feature like POI shift or wrench flats that makes one superior?

2. Is there really not a compelling difference amongst the above and should I just get the Omega 36M since I'll be able to throw it on my 9mm glock without any muss or the Ultra 7 w/ CB for its popularity?

3. Why isn't there some kind of sticky post for the supressor forum summarizing what's out there in a google doc or such?

Yes to any one of the 30 cal cans you mentioned. They are all solid, with some pretty good companies backing them. Do some research in the mounting options, if you plan on adding more cans in the future, as it is expensive to switch once you have a few cans. If I had to do it again, all my cans would attach via keymo, as there are a few brands it works with (silencerco, dead air, etc).

Buy a dedicated pistol can, it is worth it, and the performance on both platforms will be better. Also consider a 22 can. For pure fun factor, it gives me the most mileage.

I voted Nomad because I read that the TBAC 7 has like a 6 month wait before more hit the market, Dead Air is shipping batches of the Nomad out so some should be available.

I bought the Resonator R2 today and a titanium direct thread, figured it would be about 7.5" and weight about 16 oz, thought about the Nomad but since I've saving for the yet to be released Nomad-L, I bought the cheaper R2 when it popped up in stock.

Ultra 7 has a 6 month wait?

Never mind, it's looks like SS has some, was looking a couple weeks ago and was told there wouldn't be any for awhile, maybe just that particular dealer.

ETA: Might have been the Ultra 5 I'm thinking of having a wait.

Last edited:
I voted Nomad because I read that the TBAC 7 has like a 6 month wait before more hit the market,
Not true. We have batches of everything in process at all times, and cans go out the door on a daily basis. It's just that they are going to fulfill mostly dealer orders, and all those probably cannot be pre-sold (logistically speaking). Find a dealer that has one, or has one incoming.

Not listed but, Thermal Defense. Would like to get my hands on one

Looks like folks really like the TBAC Ultra 7 with the compact brake. @Zak Smith Do you have a suggestion between the CB vs direct thread versions in terms of which is superior?

@NET65 Thermal Defense looks interesting from a technological standpoint, very similar to the also Inconel-3D printed (I guess actually SLM) Delta P Design suppressors on some of the next generation weapon designs: https://www.military.com/daily-news...-next-gen-squad-weapons-finally-revealed.html

I honestly don't understand the hype though - they look like they're the same general dimensions as titanium suppressors with the same reported weights and without any additional sound attentuation advertised with prices greater than that of Ti cans. Are they somehow more accurate? Do they conduct heat less? At least Delta P Design's cans are 'girthier' so there's less additioanl length hanging off the end of your barrel (and probably less moment arm as the weight is brought closer to the shooter).

Is it just that real comparisons amongst various cans are too difficult given the hassle of obtaining more than a few?

Ultra 7 DT, I don't care for adding QD devices to every host.

Looks like folks really like the TBAC Ultra 7 with the compact brake. @Zak Smith Do you have a suggestion between the CB vs direct thread versions in terms of which is superior?

@NET65 Thermal Defense looks interesting from a technological standpoint, very similar to the also Inconel-3D printed (I guess actually SLM) Delta P Design suppressors on some of the next generation weapon designs: https://www.military.com/daily-news...-next-gen-squad-weapons-finally-revealed.html

I honestly don't understand the hype though - they look like they're the same general dimensions as titanium suppressors with the same reported weights and without any additional sound attentuation advertised with prices greater than that of Ti cans. Are they somehow more accurate? Do they conduct heat less? At least Delta P Design's cans are 'girthier' so there's less additioanl length hanging off the end of your barrel (and probably less moment arm as the weight is brought closer to the shooter).

Is it just that real comparisons amongst various cans are too difficult given the hassle of obtaining more than a few?

I wish I knew more, Thermal Defense and other 3D printed suppressors have my attention, and will likely be my choice if I purchase another can.

I think the real advantage to the 3D printed cans is that it allows unique baffle architecture that would be cost prohibitive with machining. That unique design may not accomplish more sound reduction, but it does reduce back pressure which is very beneficial for gas operated rifles. All while weighing the same or less than traditional baffle stack designs.

Honestly, I’m not sure why Thermal Defense has such unique shapes and sizes, I assume it helps them achieve something.

Not on your list, but I was in your position last year and picked up a rugged razor for around $619. I wouldn't trust my ears to shoot any of the calibers you listed much without ear pro, so some of the DB chasing comes down to splitting hairs. My can takes the blast off and accuracy is same as without it. The mounts are straight forward and it locks up tight. Overall, I'm very pleased, especially at the price for a general use rifle can.

All the cans on the list will realistically fulfill your requirements and are backed by solid companies. Some people prefer the tone of one over the other or perhaps one meters better, etc. I'd look at the non-sound specs that best fit your needs (mount, weight, size, material) and go from there.

Last edited:
I went with the nomad. Love what dead air is does and the multiple mounting options was nice for versatility too. Hope this helps

For what it’s worth, I was about to pull the trigger on an Ultra 7 with CB over the weekend, but it just went out of stock at silencershop. I ended up grabbing a Rugged Radiany in 7.62. Appears comparable with great reviews and nice modularity given the ability to step down to a shorty version. I’ll let you all know how it runs in 6 months!

If it is going on semi-autos then get the Nomad with Keymo. Lower back pressure.

@LeadZeke How come? Have you compared the two, or is it something propiertary to the Keymo adapter or the Nomad (e.g., increased internal volume, etc.). There's a good chance I'll throw it on my AR from time to time, but I'm less excited about the Keymo adapter given the extra weight hanging off the end of my barrel for those mounts as well as the higher cost for keymo attachments (~$200 from what I remember vs $70 for Rugged mounts). I feel like I'll just buy 2-3 rugged muzzle brake threaded mounts and that'll be plenty for my likely use case.

It is the design of the can. Keymo is just the best QD system out there for swapping hosts quickly and reliably.

For what it’s worth, I was about to pull the trigger on an Ultra 7 with CB over the weekend, but it just went out of stock at silencershop. I ended up grabbing a Rugged Radiany in 7.62. Appears comparable with great reviews and nice modularity given the ability to step down to a shorty version. I’ll let you all know how it runs in 6 months!

Update: very happy with my Rugged Radiant. Mostly run the included M3 brake. Still wish there were more compatible muzzle devices, but the suppressor itself has been excellent. Makes me want to maybe grab a Obsidian 45 next...

Good to hear, I have a radiant in jail I’m pretty excited about. I’ve been waiting for the obsidian 9 to come back in stock at SS for some time

Reactions: bonesaw00001
Consider something that shoots the gas out forward for the semi rifle. Ex OSS supressor. Gas to the face is real and not fun.

if youre considering Griffin....

Reactions: NWnewguy
I would get a Dead Air Nomad L for your uses especially on a bolt gun. Its a little long and heavy 8.3 inches and 17.4 ounces if I remember correct but the extra .2 radius does a LOT to increase the internal volume because remember the radius is squared.

Rugged Radiant was another good option I was debating between it and a Micro30 a while back. i had some discussions on the Radiant with Rugged. They seem to have built that can with weight as a priority for hunters who will be trekking it with their rifle a lot. If thats not you for the length you can find something with better suppression like their Surge or my personal pick if going with a long boi the Nomad L

Love my Nomad. Thinking about getting the Nomad TI

@LeadZeke How come? Have you compared the two, or is it something propiertary to the Keymo adapter or the Nomad (e.g., increased internal volume, etc.). There's a good chance I'll throw it on my AR from time to time, but I'm less excited about the Keymo adapter given the extra weight hanging off the end of my barrel for those mounts as well as the higher cost for keymo attachments (~$200 from what I remember vs $70 for Rugged mounts). I feel like I'll just buy 2-3 rugged muzzle brake threaded mounts and that'll be plenty for my likely use case.

The Keymo adaptor is pricy, around $230 and the muzzle devices are not cheap either at around $90 for a flash hider or muzzle brake. BUT cheap always what you should be looking for when looking at a QD mount. I recently had an issue with a keymo flash hider, called dead air and they sent out a new on as soon as they had it in-stock.

I would vote Nomad for your use but I hear you cannot go wrong with the TB if you don't plan on mad dumps... but mag dumps are fun once in a while! These days ammo is too pricy for mag dumps!