• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision “hunting” rifle advice needed.

ssteve

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2011
Been varmint and deer hunting with a bergara in an mpa chassis. Great gun for a field beater but looking to lose some weight on it. Looking at different options and wondering what you guys would suggest for around the 3000-3500 range?
MPA has a carbon barreled hunting rifle in the Curtis light weight action that has my attention but wondering what else is comparable?
Looking for something either in a chassis or something fairly adjustable. No stocks without comb and lop adjustments.
leaning towards a 6.5prc but the thought has crossed my mind to do a 28 nosler for deer and larger game and just pickup something else for varmint. Or hell, just kill some varmints with the 28 since pelts are worthless on most ca coyotes.

Reactions: Watchale
Budget does not include glass. I’ll be running the leupold mk5 3.6-18. A fair amount of hunting will be in CA so I’ll have to run copper so in a 6.5 probably the 127 lrx. For game I’d probably say about 700 is comfortable for me given decent conditions and varmint Probably around a grand. The prc would do 90% of what I want but a larger caliber would open some doors as well.

Off the shelf? Or custom built?
Just looking for what best fits the budget. Also not willing to wait a year. Might be ok with a 8-12 weeks but need something to start developing a load for before next spring.

Get (or at least try at the shop) a sako carbon wolf, they are around this price and very nice.
The stock feels at home if you are used to more modern stocks/tactical rifles. (grip is quasi vertical). And its a SAKO, just has a great feel to the whole thing... just feel lived in and properly designed.

It has a light barrel, so its not designed for 10 shot strings at the range.

Europtic has a 30-06 on sale as a demo, maybe check it out for like $2900ish...

If you wanted something off the shelf. I have had 3 Christensen Arms which all shot around 1/2moa. So the MPR looks like a nice crossover. Sako S20? Cadex?

6.5prc, 6.5 SAUM, 7rm, 300 prc?

The more you plan on shooting the closer to 6.5prc I would get.

How are you liking that bartlein carbon barrel? Was kicking around having one spun up by spartan rifles on a defiance tenacity.
Ag composites alpine hunter stock, defiance antiX xm length action(3.2" mag box for thr short mags loaded long to lands), Hawkins bdl bottom metal, 22" carbon barrel(several good options available these days), "the muzzle" titanium brake, TT special trigger. This is a configuration that'll come in around 6# bare rifle. If weight is no concern, you can go with a steel barrel and cut costs by 400$ and gain a half pound.

I recently built a 6.5 Sherman max(saum improved) on a Tikka action/trigger, bartlein carbon barrel, and xlr element 3.0 magnesium chassis. 2600$ total for the build. The chassis being the most expensive part at close to a grand. Had I gone with a custom action/trigger, it'd added close to 1k to the build.

Probably leaning more towards a custom/semi custom. Thinking a barreled action and buying a chassis or something along those lines. Not a fan of most stocks on factory rifles.
If you wanted something off the shelf. I have had 3 Christensen Arms which all shot around 1/2moa. So the MPR looks like a nice crossover. Sako S20? Cadex?

6.5prc, 6.5 SAUM, 7rm, 300 prc?

The more you plan on shooting the closer to 6.5prc I would get.

My 2 cents, go custom and you will have all you want and need.

Being in CA as well, I would lean more toward the 6.5PRC assuming you're in an area that can take advantage of flat trajectory pills.

Going out of state is a non-issue.

As for build time, there a number of well qualified riflesmiths that can assemble in a reasonable time assuming you have all parts and figured out fit/dimensions/etc.

My 2 cents, go custom and you will have all you want and need.

Being in CA as well, I would lean more toward the 6.5PRC assuming you're in an area that can take advantage of flat trajectory pills.

Going out of state is a non-issue.

As for build time, there a number of well qualified riflesmiths that can assemble in a reasonable time assuming you have all parts and figured out fit/dimensions/etc.
Thats the way I am leaning. Really the only hold up is ammo and reloading supplies for prc are a nightmare to find currently. Considering how much h4350 and 65cm stuff I have I really should just build a creedmoor

I would do a custom or semi custom, and since you want a chassis, check out the XLR Element Magnesium. It's probably your best bet for a lightweight chassis. But there is probably a lead time on it, would call them first and see what it is.

Other than that, there are tons of options. Can buy a Tikka and drop straight in it. Find an action in stock somewhere, or in px here, then get a local smith to spin up a barrel for it. As long as you can find an action and don't have to order direct from manufacturer and have the lead lead time on it, you should be good on your time frame.

Best bet over all, as far as timing, is to prob find something on the PX here, or at least a barreled action. This would be a great lightweight action to start a build on, no lead time