• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision 30-06 builds

bdubmkg

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2023
Texas
If you built a 30-06 precision rig, post it up. I'd love to see it.

Long story short, a had a savage 3006 that wouldn't group worth a crap and re chambered it to 308. Ten years go by and decided I wanted to build something a little different with what I had available with reloading components and rifle parts. I ordered a shelin 3006 barrel and cut it to 24" as well as an XLR chassis system. Going to have to get some quality brass for the reloads as all of mine is surplus for my garands. Also added a new zeiss scope for it too but here's the start.
20230505_205311.jpg

Pre War M70, in a Mcmillan, pillar bedded on marine tex, blue printed, Murphy 20 moa pic. rail. Brux #2, Vortex Crossfire. 165gr Barnes TTSX over 57gr IMR 4350, CCI 200 LR primer, standard seat depth, Winchester brass. 5 shots, 100yds.

Attachments

• IMG_0946.JPG
    IMG_0946.JPG
    288.9 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_20210919_092822-1.jpg
    IMG_20210919_092822-1.jpg
    737.5 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_20210203_1140260_rewind.jpg
    IMG_20210203_1140260_rewind.jpg
    814.6 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20210203_1658518_rewind.jpg
    IMG_20210203_1658518_rewind.jpg
    711.3 KB · Views: 235
Pre War M70, in a Mcmillan, pillar bedded on marine tex, blue printed, Murphy 20 moa pic. rail. Brux #2, Vortex Crossfire. 165gr Barnes TTSX over 57gr IMR 4350, CCI 200 LR primer, standard seat depth, Winchester brass. 5 shots, 100yds.
Nice results. What MV?
At about 53.4 gr I was hitting a compressed load seated at 3.300 (LRX 175) at 2700 fps.
What brass, and seating depth are you using?

I call it "Project All Wrong" as in I picked all the wrong parts to start with. Haven't shot it yet, just finished putting it together after accumulating parts over the last 4 years.

Rem 700 action
Gretan firing pin assembly
McGowan 26" Shilen #7HV (hopefully purchased before they went to complete crap)
Triggertech Special 2 stage
MDT XRS chassis/stock
Seekins base, Steiner Rings
Bushnell DMRII 3-21
EC Tuner brake

2023-04-30 14.26.46.jpg

Well dammit this thread starts right after I ordered/ purchased a 7mm Rem Mag. Watching to see some 208 ELDM/ 215 Hybrid loads, or loads in that weight class.

Reactions: Ronws and lash
I call it "Project All Wrong" as in I picked all the wrong parts to start with. Haven't shot it yet, just finished putting it together after accumulating parts over the last 4 years.

Rem 700 action
Gretan firing pin assembly
McGowan 26" Shilen #7HV (hopefully purchased before they went to complete crap)
Triggertech Special 2 stage
MDT XRS chassis/stock
Seekins base, Steiner Rings
Bushnell DMRII 3-21
EC Tuner brake

View attachment 8151884
I looked at the Mdt chassis at first but went with the xlr. Looks good though. You going to add any weight to it or keep it as is?

I'm not sure what bullet weight I'll load for yet. I have a ton of 147, 150, and 165s that I shoot out of my garands.

I bought the parts for this build before I really got into shooting. Going back I probably wouldn’t have picked it, but after shooting it a while I can say I have no regrets.

Defiance tenacity, manners eh1, fluted bartlein 4. All assembled by LRI with a Serengeti chamber.

LRI + bartlein made for one of the most accurate rifles I own.

185 bergers at 2780. Not sure I’ll ever shoot 200s out of it, not worth the recoil for no appreciable difference within the limits I built the rifle for.

Shot this thing at a nrl hunter match this year, and while not ideal being a bdl and a 3006, I’ll probably do it again if one comes around.

This rifle with its inferior inherent accuracy shoots better than most of my other barrels.

1539C77E-B19A-4504-B744-340DD364C618.jpeg

Last edited:
I looked at the Mdt chassis at first but went with the xlr. Looks good though. You going to add any weight to it or keep it as is?

I'm not sure what bullet weight I'll load for yet. I have a ton of 147, 150, and 165s that I shoot out of my garands.
I have an XLR on another rifle and enjoy that. I just wanted to try something different this time around. I will probably add weight at some time in the future just to help tame recoil a bit. I plan on breaking it in with 168 TMKs. I am planning on shooting 175-208s just to take advantage of the case capacity advantage over a 308. Might push 168s/169s hard just for giggles.

FOUND IT!

Feast your eyes on a smorgesboard of 30-06 goodness

3.295 overall length, Winchester brass, 2840 fps.
Great results. I was shooting virgin Lapua brass. Hopefully after another its initial firing i can get more in there without hitting a compression so soon.

Well, I'm one step closer to really getting this build going. Got the stock in for the CLR chassis last week. Now we wait for the rest of the chassis. We moved across the country a few weeks ago so now I need to get into a range and get this thing sighted in.
20230608_100754.jpg

How the hell did I miss this thread?!

HUGE 30-06 fan.

I’m gathering parts for my first 30-06 build right now. Have everything except the action, waiting on the new ARD CDG.

ARC Coupe De Grace pivoting handle with 30moa rail
MDT XRS with enclosed forend and adjustable butt pad.
Paradigm carbon barrel @ 26” 1:9t
Triggertech Special 2-stage
APW Titanium raptor 5 port brake
March FX Highpower 4.5-28x52
Serengeti reamer

I have 500 200gr ELD-X to start with, eventually moving to the 200.20x or the good ol 208eld. Very excited to finally have this project almost done. I’ve wanted to build a 30-06 for almost 10 years, just kept putting it off.

Can't go too heavy. That'd make it a little tough to maneuver on the prs stages. The barrel is a bit long. I should have gone 24" instead of 28.
You mean there's someone else out there that shoots PRS with a 30-06?! I haven't done it yet but I plan on it. You should here the screams of "that's a terrible idea!!" LOL.
What load are you shooting for PRS stuff?

Reactions: bdubmkg
You mean there's someone else out there that shoots PRS with a 30-06?! I haven't done it yet but I plan on it. You should here the screams of "that's a terrible idea!!" LOL.
What load are you shooting for PRS stuff?
I'm using 208 eld's over 59.7 gr of H4831sc. I'm right at 2800fps. As always use caution and work up to loads during development.

Don’t worry, it was an estate sale find from someone who bastardized a sporting rifle into a Palma rifle. All I did was add muzzle threads, the extra holes, Douglas barrel, new stock and trigger honed so light the safety didn’t work were all done prior to my finding it. Either way it was hard to pass up a 1938 action with heavy barrel for $700 bucks even with its issues.

Don’t worry, it was an estate sale find from someone who bastardized a sporting rifle into a Palma rifle. All I did was add muzzle threads, the extra holes, Douglas barrel, new stock and trigger honed so light the safety didn’t work were all done prior to my finding it. Either way it was hard to pass up a 1938 action with heavy barrel for $700 bucks even with its issues.
Looks like fun to me. Still couldn't resist though. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: lash
Looks like fun to me. Still couldn't resist though. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Oh and the only reason it isn’t scoped is because the two screw holes in the rear bridge are a non standard size that doesn’t fit my existing rail screws so I’m like fuck it, the irons stay on.

The good thing is that it gives me a suppressed rifle I can use for our old school iron sighted hunt during rifle season. After we kill a bunch of deer the first weekend we break out all the old iron sighted lever guns and single shots to add a challenge.