• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision AR

alan98

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hello, I wouldn't mind buying a precision AR instead of a .223 bolt rifle, but I have no real knowledge on which one to buy. Anyone with any recommendations. How is the DPMS Panther Bull 20? Bushmaster Varminter?? I have no idea which one might suit me best lol. Thanks for any help

Alan

Re: Precision AR

Hi Alan.

I built a heavy upper Varmint style AR a few months ago. I used the DPMS 20" stainless model.
It shot "OK....not great though. It had the 1:9 twist and seem to shoot best with 40gr. Nosler ammo. Best groups I could get with it were 3/4" to 1" five shot groups at 100yrds. I personally would not go with another DPMS...maybe someone else can wade in who had better luck with DPMS.
I had a Timney 3 lb. trigger in it and the limited times I shot it I never had a FTF.

Right now you might be hard pressed to find much of any kind of AR parts in stock.

Good luck to you.

Take care,Stan

PS...here is a pic of the one I built:

I bought a rifle from EDGERAT that has a 16" Talon Arms upper on a RRA lower. It will shot 60grn AMAX about 1/2 MOA to 600 when i can do my part. Great shooting gun and small enough to offer some versatility in shooting.

Anyone with any knowledge of the Rock River Predator Pursuit, or the RR Varmint? I'm considering one of these, just not sure if the bull barrel on the Varmint would be much better. I gotta get one ordered, who knows how long the wait will be to receive lol.

THanks,

Alan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Travelor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rock River heavy barreled AR's shoot! A friend has one of the Varmint guns and it shoots under .25" at 100 yards. I would never hesitate to buy Rick River. http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=123200918

George </div></div>

Would the 24" bull barrel have any advantage over the 20"? I'm not concerned with the overall weight.

Alan

Another source for information I use on AR's is by going to Midway's website and looking up the reviews for the different uppers in the different configurations by different manufacturers. I have a DPMS "Sweet 16" with a 6 position lower, but I haven't really had a chance to really test it for accuracy yet, but so far it's under 1" at 100. This is my second DPMS. I had a 308B 18" that I had to sell, and it was an incredible gun.

The big complaint about DPMS is the stock triggers. You can smooth them out yourself (I did) or you can buy a rock river match 2 stage for about $115 and put it in. Beyond the triggers being rough I've never heard any complaints.

DPMS 20" DCM 1 in 8 twist has always shot sub moa with good ammo for me. Big heavy bull barrels are not necessary for accurate AR's. Stay with a 1 in 8 or faster twist, shoot good ammo and you will be good to go.

I have had good luck with DPMS. It also depends on how much money you want to spend. JP is building some very accurate AR's and so is Firebird but you are going to pay a fair bit more than you would for a DPMS.

Bushmaster Varminter is a monster. I love the ergonomics and feel/weight. Mine likes 68gr BH, and could probably handle 75gr very well- the extra barrel length helps, I'm nearly certain (did a lot of research into this before purchasing). I use mine for highpower across the whole course (200-300-600y) and am very satisfied. Did I mention they look hot as hell too?
wink.gif

I built mine. I didn't really like the way the factory guns looked, plus I wanted to do my interpretation of the Navys SPR. Here's what I ended up with:

Upper
- 18" White Oak SPR barrel
- Daniel Defense 12.0 lite rail
- Bravo Company BCG
- Spikes upper

Lower
- Stag LPK
- WOA tuned 2-stage trigger
- Magpul PRS stock

Optics
- Leupold Mk4 3-9x40
- Larue SPR mount

DSC_0656.jpg

My best 5 shot group so far, this was measured from edge to edge. It typically shoots about .6-.75 moa with my 75 Hornday BTHP handloads. It's a great rifle.
DSC_0651.jpg

How much would you like to spend? I can email you a couple of pictures of mine (I'm not up on how to post pictures on this site). They are JPCTR02s - very accurate and reliable. They also come in .260 Rem. .20Tactical .243 and a .308 version. Check out the site - JP Rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alan98</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello, I wouldn't mind buying a precision AR instead of a .223 bolt rifle, but I have no real knowledge on which one to buy. Anyone with any recommendations. How is the DPMS Panther Bull 20? Bushmaster Varminter?? I have no idea which one might suit me best lol. Thanks for any help

Alan </div></div>

How far are you going to shoot it?

What do you consider "precision"?

What kind of ammo are you looking at using? Please be specific.

Well I ordered a Rock River Varmint model with the Wilson 1-8" Heavy bull barrel at 24". It's gonna be a big heavy rifle, but thats what I want. I want to stretch it out as far as possible. As far as the question mentioned above as what I'm looking for when I stated precision, I just simply want the smallest groups possible. Definitely sub-moa. The reviews on the RR are good, so we'll see what happens when it arrives. I ordered it with the Magpul PRS stock also. I was considering a 700P in .223 but have decided to buy one last AR
smile.gif

I currently reload so I will be trying different loads to see what it likes. Probably will try the Hornady 75gr BTHP first.

When I ordered it this morning, they said it would most likely be around 6 months until I receive it. Oh well, I guess I have to wait.

I'm gonna put a Super Sniper scope on it for now..probably 10X. I'm not sure on what rings/mounts I will need for this rifle. Any recommendations to a good setup??

Alan

I think you did well. The 1:8 twist barrel will allow you to play around with all manners of bullets from 40 to 82gr Bergers.

Since you reload, you will be able to try them all. I have had good luck with the 80gr SMK up close and the 80gr JLK at longer ranges. The problem with these bullets is that they cannot be loaded to magazine length.

I have never been able to get the 77gr SMK to shoot accurately enough for my needs, but for a magazine length bullet, it's quite good. I suspect the 75gr Hornady HPBT will perform about the same at the 77gr SMK.

I used to shoot the 77SMK up close (300 yards,) but switched to the 80gr even for that short distance. The 80gr SMK works quite well up to 600 yards, but even at that mid-range, I like the 80gr JLKs more. I never tried the 77 or 80gr SMKs at 800/900/1000, I used the 75gr A-max for a while and then switched to the 80gr JLK exclusively for those longer distances.

The 69gr SMK is also another bullet that I hear good things about but that would be for the ultra-short distances like 200 yards or less. I don't get to shoot at those distances much.

So, if you want to load magazine length, you have the 77, the 75 and the 69. You can also look at Berger which makes fine bullets and Nosler also.

If you want the utmost in accuracy, single-load is the way to go and get the good bullets: JLK, Bergers, SMK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alan98</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I ordered a Rock River Varmint model with the Wilson 1-8" Heavy bull barrel at 24". It's gonna be a big heavy rifle, but thats what I want. I want to stretch it out as far as possible. As far as the question mentioned above as what I'm looking for when I stated precision, I just simply want the smallest groups possible. Definitely sub-moa. The reviews on the RR are good, so we'll see what happens when it arrives. I ordered it with the Magpul PRS stock also. I was considering a 700P in .223 but have decided to buy one last AR
smile.gif

I currently reload so I will be trying different loads to see what it likes. Probably will try the Hornady 75gr BTHP first.

When I ordered it this morning, they said it would most likely be around 6 months until I receive it. Oh well, I guess I have to wait.

I'm gonna put a Super Sniper scope on it for now..probably 10X. I'm not sure on what rings/mounts I will need for this rifle. Any recommendations to a good setup??

Alan

</div></div>

You'll probably be good to go on that setup.

For the optic, if your going to be using a SS (4" eye relief?), you might need to mount it a little farther foward on the upper receiver. LaRue makes a good mount... LaRue 30mm

You might look into that, and see if that's a route you would want to go.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this. Anyone have a SS or similiar mounted on an AR without a mount such as the Larue?? I'm trying to order everything so I have it when the rifle arrives.

Alan

I had my SPRish precision AR mounted with Leupy med rings (or were they high?) before I bought a Larue 1.5 SPR mount. Sorry my scope is not a SS but you get the idea.

If you do regular scope rings, make sure they are tall enough to let the objective bell clear the handguard.

Here she is with the regular Leupy scope rings:

cropped.jpg

blackAR_outside.jpg

outside2.jpg

Here she is with the Laure mount:

spr2-1.jpg

spr4.jpg

I ran a Noveske upper with 18" SPR barrel shot 77gr SMKS good. But my best shooting AR ever I should of never traded it, was a RRA NM upper with free float. It shot well with any heavy match bullet I put threw it. I want another one, but will be waiting till the buying panic ends.
Rifle004.jpg

100_0981.jpg

A PAcnor service rifle barrel with JP handgaurds.
Picsfrom10-3008004.jpg

Noveske barreled upper-
RIFLE002.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alan98</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this. Anyone have a SS or similiar mounted on an AR without a mount such as the Larue?? I'm trying to order everything so I have it when the rifle arrives.

Alan </div></div>

You will need a set of rings that allow you to mount the scope farther forward and extra high, like the Larue. I prefer the nightforce unimount extra-high: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.ex...tm_campaign=657

PS. Great choice on upper. That is exactly what I would have recommended also. It has a Wylde chamber, which maximizes accuracy and allows reliable feeding of both 223 and 555 ammo. I had a Bushmaster Predator and they use a very tight match chamber. It was a pain in the arse and did not reliably feed several common types of ammo: sold it. The Wylde chamber is flawless and was developed for match competition...so it is accurate and flawless.

PPS. Reloading for an AR is different than reloading for a bolt gun. The Sierra reloading manual has a good section on this. 75gr Hornady BTHP is a great choice.

I built my SPR-ish on an Ameetec lower. A2 stock (may get an UBR as I shoot NTCH and wouldn't mind collasping now and then), WOA SPR 18" midlength 1:7. It currently has a YHM lightweight FF rail setup, but I'm gonna go with a JP/VTAC tube soon.
Oh, did I mention I found an ST10? 37mm lit MOA type 1, #3 turrets, Ergo in a US Optics PosiSlide MK1 (am I the only one that thinks LaRue needs to make a 1.2" high mount instead of 1.5?).

and yes, Wylde chambers are THE way to go!!

Give Scott Milkovich at Tactics a call. He will build you what you want. He has an 18in. rifle that is a rock star.
His rifles are accurate, and he is a hide member.
His cover is scottmilk9 .