• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision AR15 Grip Angle

WestDesertPRS

Sergeant of Marines
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2019
What's the opinion on pistol grips with a more vertical angle like the Magpul MOE-K2 for a precision AR? I know most precision bolt guns run a chassis or stock with a pretty much vertical grip so it seems like it would have the same benefits in an AR platform.

I am getting the parts together for a new build around a 20" DMR barrel and PRS Lite stock that I have and the grip is the only big question left.

Reactions: simonp
Using some form of Tyler Kemp’s vertical AR grips across my precision gassers. Tried a MDT Elite too, but it was just…a lot.

Driven Arms
912DF198-FF75-447B-B439-9CD20ECC06E6.png
529CD755-9800-4706-BFDA-645346949B6C.png

Reactions: stoweco
The picture doesn’t quite display how ‘hand-filling’ the palm swell is. I use one on my carbine. The bottom cantilever makes a huge difference in leverage for controlling the muzzle.

Reactions: simonp
Using some form of Tyler Kemp’s vertical AR grips across my precision gassers. Tried a MDT Elite too, but it was just…a lot.
Thanks...I didn't even know about MK Machining. Looks like a good grip...I just might try one out.

I like the standard AR grip angle. The ergo tactical deluxe is my favorite grip for its palm swell. It works well for running your hand thumb on the shooting side of the grip and indexing on a 45 degree safety lever to use as a thumb shelf.

I’ve got a practically new 90 degree tactical deluxe I don’t need anymore I was going to list eventually if you want to give one a try.

I'm almost universally standardizing on the LaRue A-PEG. Just pulled ERGO TDX-0s off 3 builds & replaced them with A-PEGs.

Hand size shape, and dexterity are all over the place. A lot depends on what works for you. And that can depend a lot on what you've grown accustomed to using.

I built a number of AR's for military contractors a couple of decades ago. To my surprise, quite a few of them opted for the old A2 grip. When asked why, the reply was the same - It was what they were familiar with.

There have been a number of much better grip choices brought out since the original AR' made its debut. We have companies like Magpul, BCM, Ergo, Tango Down, Reptilia, and a number of others to thank for that.

When David Tubb first brought out the original Tubb 2000 rifle, it incorporated the Sierra Precision Rifle (aka "SPR" - copyrighted by someone else - Armalite, I think?) grip, originally designed for target shooting with the AR'. It's a severely "Right-Hand-Only" design, but what a good one! It's like having "power steering" on your weapon, IMO.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rifle-parts/rifle-grips/ar-15-spr-handgrip/

I use it on a number of my AR's, because, 20 years later, it's what I can say I'm accustomed to using. At one time it was standard issue on Israeli KAC SR-25's. I've sent bushel basket size orders of them to Little Creek. But, it's still a relatedly little known design.

With the increased understanding of the need to employ precision rifles in an ambidextrous fashion, grips to accommodate this are required. One good example is the Ergo Tactical Deluxe Grip:

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts...ergo-tactical-deluxe-grip--suregrip-ad20115c/

Not only is this a popular choice in custom AR' precision rifle builds - It is also standard issue on the Accuracy Int'l AT-X:

IMG_2936.jpeg

I have a slew of pistol grips in my spare parts drawer and on my guns, Magpul MOE, K2, K2-XL, Ergo Deluxe, Regular Ergo grip, BCM grips, Sierra Precision grip…I dunno I’m becoming agnostic with all the available options. Right now I’ve settled on the Magpul K2 and BCM grips on most of my guns, the angle is just right so they’re comfortable but not so chunky that I need to break my grip to manipulate the safety lever. The only exception is my SPR that wears a Sierra Precision grip, it’s been a really good precision rifle grip for me after a couple modifications.

I wear size large gloves and for me the Magpul K2-XL was great if I only shot with my thumb over the index finger. The Ergo Deluxe is probably my second favorite grip next to the Sierra Precision, the only reason I’m not using it now is that the SP grip just fits me so well. Standard Magpul MOE, A2, and Ergo grips make my wrists hurt after a while so they just stay in storage for the most part.

The K2 is nice, but the BCM Gunfighter Mod3 has a tighter fit at the beavertail. It does have a front tang and might not work well with some integrated trigger guards without modification. It's fatter than the K2 but not the K2XL. Here's one that has been modified:
eusr1iOl.jpg

Reactions: WestDesertPRS
I’ve beens using the Sierra Precision Rifle Grip since 2003, which feels awesome and makes it so you can’t really frame-drag your trigger finger.

I also really like the Ergo Tactical Deluxe with the more vertical angle. Not sure where to find them anymore because the ones now have more angle to them that I don’t like.

LaRue A-PEG is also great. I planned to take it off the complete Stealth 2.0 rifle I got, but left it on once I felt it. Same with the stock.

(edited)_fullsizeoutput_105_zpsgituaykh.jpeg

The new modular Hogue grip is pretty sick. It has configurable front and back straps and is at a more vertical angle:

iu

I had kind of given up on Hogue 20 years ago. This new one I couldn’t pass up. I got it in FDE and put it on my 10.5” Grendel.

Reactions: MSTN
What's the opinion on pistol grips with a more vertical angle like the Magpul MOE-K2 for a precision AR? I know most precision bolt guns run a chassis or stock with a pretty much vertical grip so it seems like it would have the same benefits in an AR platform.

I am getting the parts together for a new build around a 20" DMR barrel and PRS Lite stock that I have and the grip is the only big question left.
I make my own grips with fiberglass but for precision I always go vertical with thumb rest I think it does give better control, for precision also keeps wrist fatigue to a minimum but that's just my opinion I'm throwing out there.

Reactions: thedude824