• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

precision barrels with tenifer inside them

Dsparil

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2006
Albrightsville, PA
wasnt there someone out there making precision rifle barrels that had tenifer inside them to protect against corrosion?

Re: precision barrels with tenifer inside them

Is this the same Tenifer finish as on Glock slides? If yes, I believe the Tenifer is mainly for scratch/abrasion resistance as it is hard and penetrates into the steel, and offers some corrosion resistance as well. Melonite is a similar process (some say it is the same process) that can be applied here in the US (Tenifer is done overseas).

I think so. this barrel apparently had nitrocarbidization done to the inside of the barrel to prevent corrosion. It was done to match barrels so it had the same effect of chrome-lining to prevent corrosion but without the uneven plating to ensure accuracy.

Chrome plating has more to do with hardness, and its corrosion resistance, while slightly better than bluing, is still not nearly as good as Nickel plating. Interesting why advertisers always market chrome as a corrosion stopper...

Anyway, I think you can post this question on 6mmBR.com if this applies more to match barrels. Don't think I've read about this on SH at all.