• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Cut Pelican/Storm Foam Inserts

Salmo22

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2010
Arizona
I'm looking for companies that offer precision foam cutting services for pelican and storm cases. I've tried doing it myself and it looks like it was done by an axe murderer
eek.gif

I've heard that some companies use a water jet to cut the foam; however, I've used the search function and can't find what I was looking for. I would prefer this be done by a company that is involved in the weapons industry - I just think they would understand my needs better.

Your recommendations and suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Precision Cut Pelican/Storm Foam Inserts

You should be able to cut one yourself without too much time/trouble using the right tools without it looking "like it was done by an axe murderer."

Out of curiosity, what method and tools did you use to mark and cut the foam?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should be able to cut one yourself without too much time/trouble using the right tools without it looking "like it was done by an axe murderer."

Out of curiosity, what method and tools did you use to mark and cut the foam? </div></div>
Hey ORD:

The instructions that came with my Pelican 1750 recommended using an electric knife like the kind used to carve a turkey at Thanksgiving. This tool cuts the foam great; however, I must have done something wrong because it looks like a butchered turkey
crazy.gif

Maybe there is a better tool or method I'm not aware of. I had hoped I could simply create a tracing of my layout; send it to the right company that does this type of thing; and get back the precision cut foam I'm looking to achieve.

My newest case is a Starlite. It came with instructions and an exacto knife. The foam is also scored or grided in 1/2" squares to help keep everything lined up. I took the foam out and layed it on the kitchen table, layed averything out the way I wanted it and traced everything with a white crayon. When you cut it out make sure to cut inside the line or your cutout will be too large for your rifle and accessories.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lou400a</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This should keep you busy for a while
Foam cutting instructions </div></div>
Holy Smokes Lou
laugh.gif
Now that is what I'm taking about.

It will definately keep me very busy - thanks.

I never much liked the electric carving knife method because I never had an electric carving knife or replacement blades worth a damn! I tried once and got a similar "butchered" look and swore I'd never do it again.

The link that lou just provided is a great option if you want to go that far. It is a method I have used in the past and it works extremely well. It does take time and a little investment in terms of the cost of the tools involved, but it works great!

Most often now, I just use one of the extendable-blade exacto or similar knives mentioned above. Extend it out to the max length (depending on the depth of the foam, you may be able to do less) and just cut slowly, taking your time and paying attention to your cuts and the outline you made. Remember, it is always better to have too small an outline and to remove too little material and have to go back and make refinements (you aren't going to be able to replace foam you cut too much from though without replacing the entire insert). You can go back and take out more as necessary or clean up any "rough" or tattered patches after you get the main cut-out done. Using this method gives you an excellent result albeit not as clean as the hot knife method.

Remember, it doesn't have to look good as long as it protects your rifle and other equipment adequately and doesn't allow things to rock/roll/shift or otherwise get knocked around in the case!

Good luck!!

Drawing it out and taking your time is the key.

FWIW, I've had very good luck using the electric knive method. I guess my blade is sharp as the only other time it gets used is at Thanksgiving.

As far as my wife knows, that's the only time it gets used....

I gave that a try worked ok,I found the tip wasnt as hot as the middle of the blade and made starting cuts a little more tougher.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lou400a</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This should keep you busy for a while

Very ingenious. I will definitely investigate this one.

Just wondering, why all the hassle when you can purchase the pre-cut cubed foam and pull out the piece's at for a great fit? Not only that you can preserve the cube's, and put them back in if you want to fill a gap your not using.

MS

We have a local Army Surplus store that doubles as a hardware store. They have a machine that has a about 1/8" diameter blade that reciprocates. It is about the size of a commercial table saw but has this little blade sticking out of it. Works great, I wasted $70 worth of Pelican foam before too, and yes all my cuts were tapered and looked far worse than a poorly carved turkey, wasn't even edible! Let the pros do it!

Pelican sells replacement foam. Desert Tactical Arms is having there foam specially cut for there rifles you might check with them to see who is doing it for them.

It's almost like people don't read anymore. There is repeating response's going on that are about the same thing.

There are lots of places you can get replacement foam for.

<span style="font-size: 14pt">Buy the cubed foam so you don't have to cut it. You can also put the cubes back if you save them without having to worry about massacring youf foam.</span>

MS

The OP asked for a precision cutting service, not pre cut squares. We heard you the first time.

These folks will cut your foam to perfection.
http://www.sanantoniofoam.com/packaging.shtml

It's best to find a place local to you that you can bring your gun into so they can do a CAD drawing of your kit and cut it precisely IMO.

Be ready to spend some $$$ though.
grin.gif

Otherwise, the best method for foam cutting is a hot-wire.

The very-very best method though, is to do a search, because this topic has been pummeled to death on here and every other firearm website. If I was a moderator on here...I would in fact ban everyone that made a "how do I cut foam" related topic
grin.gif

Well spoken doorkicker...it's not like cutting foam is brain surgery.

I guess it's all about how "sniperish" it looks. I mean really???
Just cut the foam with a sharp knife. That is all we use to do in the Corps. But then again the only thing that mattered was what you could do with the rifle not how cool it looked in the case. I can't even believe this is being talked about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anvil8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess it's all about how "sniperish" it looks. I mean really???
Just cut the foam with a sharp knife. That is all we use to do in the Corps. But then again the only thing that mattered was what you could do with the rifle not how cool it looked in the case. I can't even believe this is being talked about. </div></div>

Lighten up Francis

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These folks will cut your foam to perfection.
http://www.sanantoniofoam.com/packaging.shtml

It's best to find a place local to you that you can bring your gun into so they can do a CAD drawing of your kit and cut it precisely IMO.

Be ready to spend some $$$ though.
grin.gif

Otherwise, the best method for foam cutting is a hot-wire.

The very-very best method though, is to do a search, because this topic has been pummeled to death on here and every other firearm website. If I was a moderator on here...I would in fact ban everyone that made a "how do I cut foam" related topic
grin.gif

</div></div>

so how do i cut the foam?
grin.gif

i tried the sharp knife outline way and it looked like hammered dog shit,.. once i get more foam i am going to look into finding a place to do the CAD thing.

What if you ordered the Pluck Foam Insert for the case? All you havr to do then is trace around the rifle and then pluck out the foam inside the lines. Each square is 1/4 inch.

i can't stand the plucked foam inserts,. i think they look even worse,. and it messes with my OCD <span style="text-decoration: underline">way </span> too much. the one case that had the pluckable foam in it i ended up just tossing it

i very much perfer the clean lines of a properly cut insert, however i get why folks like the pluckable foam,. just not my thing.

tag

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where can I buy Foam other than from Pelican? </div></div>

I have purchased from these guys:

Link

I usually screw up when I try to cut the foam.

Does storing your rifle in these foam cases attract moisture? Cant remember but heard somewhere that either closed cell or open cell foam is not good and will cause the guns to rust? How long are you guys storing your equipment in the cases? I assume you oil them down well before storing them a bit.

You should never store you rifles inside of their cases as they will rust.

And yes, that was a big read! Interesting technique

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adluginb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does storing your rifle in these foam cases attract moisture? Cant remember but heard somewhere that either closed cell or open cell foam is not good and will cause the guns to rust? How long are you guys storing your equipment in the cases? I assume you oil them down well before storing them a bit. </div></div>

if you read the thread in the above quote (over at ar15.com) I believe the talk about storing your rifle in the case. There is a difference between closed and open cell foam. Some guys were trying different methods (ie silica pads and such) to keep the rifles stored in the cases and prevent rust. Guess it really depends on how often you take them out to clean them.

The Pelican factory uses a big band saw type of cutter to do theirs.

someone here also posted about having taken a photo of his gun and stuff where he wanted it with a ruler for scale and converting that into templates and pressing them down like pattern to cut around or sending the file to a place to cut it. seems like you could trace the weapon and use the right tool and get it done. but there is a place that cuts it some how for you, cant find the link though

I took some chalk, traced it out, grabbed yee ole electric carving knife and cut out the middle layer. Then glued it down with contact cement, bada bing badda boom mutha fuckas!

M24KIT2.jpg

oh and I have a tin silica gel bead thing, looks like a sardine can, under the rifle's action and it has worked wonderfully

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anvil8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess it's all about how "sniperish" it looks. I mean really???
Just cut the foam with a sharp knife. That is all we use to do in the Corps. But then again the only thing that mattered was what you could do with the rifle not how cool it looked in the case. I can't even believe this is being talked about. </div></div>

Amen!

You guys would cringe if you saw mine-it has been cut and recut for 4 different rifles. It still supports the rifle and keeps it from getting damaged, which is the purpose, no?

I swear, the fixation with the coolest looking gear is, as someone else put earlier today on a different thread-getting all "queer eye for the sniper guy" around here!

My foam is shot to hell after a few trips to shot show, alaska and other places. Its just foam and as long as it protects like expected then it will work just as well.

I cut mine with a sharp pocket knife.

It friggin' works and I could give two shits what it looks like. The case is to protect the rifle, not show it off. The outside of the case looks worse than the foam thanks to some skilled baggage handling.

Then again my rifle looks like hell too. Shoots beautifully.

So how long before we start seeing the "I nicked my AR15. What can I use to touch up the finish?" threads?

The name is Bond...James Bond

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bikemancs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(over at ar15.com)</div></div>

Last time I did it, I laid everything out on the opposing face, then used a silver Sharpie to trace around. Cut it out with a hot wire cutter, everything fit beautifully.

Replacement foam, if you buy more than $75 worth is only $15 a sheet from what I've seen.

I agree and disagree. I think there's nothing wrong whatsoever in cutting your foam to get all your kit inside your case, I also think there's nothing wrong at all with trying to make it look proffesional when you do cut it, if your gonna cut it why wouldnt you want it to look nice. Saying guys are bein too faggoty for wantin a good lookin setup, or commenting yours looks like shit "but it works" just means you did a shitty job, you still cut it though. I suppose I'm just too queer eye for the sniper guy cause i did a good job on mine and it looks good.

now where i agree is that I in no way shape or form think anyone should spend their cash on getting a custom cut, or custom formed piece of foam when you can do it yourself, and if when you do it yourself it doesnt turn out as nice as expected, check to ensure it's doing its job of protecting the rifle during transportation, and if so, drive the fuck on. You tried, you failed in the artistry dept but it's functional

theres too many guys lately jumping on the "youre gay cause you want nice shit" bandwagon, I use the shit outta all my gear, but that doesnt mean I dont maintain it, or try and do a 100% quality job first time around

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where can I buy Foam other than from Pelican? </div></div>

Most economical source I've found: http://www.foambymail.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
theres too many guys lately jumping on the "youre gay cause you want nice shit" bandwagon, I use the shit outta all my gear, but that doesnt mean I dont maintain it, or try and do a 100% quality job first time around</div></div>

Let me try to clarify a bit.

I like nice looking gear. It usually stays that way for about three seconds after I take it out.

Now I have no problem with guys wanting to do a good job and make their gear look nice. What I get a kick out of is the guys who are so worried about nice "looking" gear that they spend more money and time on the "look" then they do on learning to pull the trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now I have no problem with guys wanting to do a good job and make their gear look nice. What I get a kick out of is the guys who are so worried about nice "looking" gear that they spend more money and time on the "look" then they do on learning to pull the trigger.</div></div>

I completely agree with you on this lonewolf. I was just saying that guys on here get attacked all the time for prettyin up their gear without the assaulter knowing the guys background, they could be a champion shooter that shoots every single day, has shit tons of used and abused beat up kit but posts on wanting to refinish or camo one of his guns and he gets verbally assaulted like he's a gear queer! know what I'm sayin?