• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Gas Gun Builders

Lukeshoot85

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2019
Hi there SH -

Looking for some input on AR-15 and AR-10 platform custom AR rifle builders.

My number one criteria is finding the builder with a reputation for most accurate gas guns. So far, I only have 2 builders on my list.

SGT. of Arms
GA precision

Any suggestions for builders worth looking into would be appreciated.

Does anyone have real world experience with either builder in the small and large platform gas guns? If so, what sort of groups have you had? Probably going to get both but starting with the small platform

Thanks!

Reactions: simonp
Apart from what's already been listed in this thread - Craddock Precision makes custom barrels and uppers from Bartlein and Rock Creeks. I may be partial because I just built their new site. Compass Lake is another well respected builder.

Apart from what's already been listed in this thread - Craddock Precision makes custom barrels and uppers from Bartlein and Rock Creeks. I may be partial because I just built their new site. Compass Lake is another well respected builder.
Compass lake is not an option anymore. I just got a barrel from craddock and it's fantastic. He had a Bartlein in stock (which is a requirement for me), and he did everything the way I wanted. It shoots excellent and it's not even fully broken in yet.

Compass Lake is another well respected builder.

Not anymore! When Frank Retired he turned the business over to his son Conrad and he has thoroughly shit to bed and ran the business and his father's legacy into the ground.

They have shut thier doors to the public and are pushing the remaining orders that were pending when they shut down, and from what I'm seeing they don't give a shit about the quality of thier work on those last orders.

Compass lake is not an option anymore. I just got a barrel from craddock and it's fantastic. He had a Bartlein in stock (which is a requirement for me), and he did everything the way I wanted. It shoots excellent and it's not even fully broken in yet.

I just picked of a bunch of his new Rock Creek Barrels in, .223, 6ARC, .308 and 6.5CM and have some Bartlein's being turned as we speak as well.

I'll be doing a couple reviews on them as soon as I finish up with the V seven 5.56 Barrel review. Most likely I'll start with the .308 or 6ARC.

Not anymore! When Frank Retired he turned the business over to his son Conrad and he has thoroughly shit to bed and ran the business and his father's legacy into the ground.

They have shut thier doors to the public and are pushing the remaining orders that were pending when they shut down, and from what I'm seeing they don't give a shit about the quality of thier work on those last orders.

If that’s the case, then I think Paul and Josh at Craddock are a no brainer especially for custom barrels or uppers. I’ve never actually had a CLE barrel, but I called them once and they didn’t want to work with Illinois residents even though at the time what I was asking for was completely fair game

Reactions: Charmingmander
If that’s the case, then I think Paul and Josh at Craddock are a no brainer especially for custom barrels or uppers. I’ve never actually had a CLE barrel, but I called them once and they didn’t want to work with Illinois residents even though at the time what I was asking for was completely fair game
They used to make really solid stuff but they've always been kind of prickly to deal with. Paul Craddock is really good and is easy to deal with. Absolutely, a no Brainer.

Don't get me wrong the barrels that used to come out of Compass Lake are phenomenal shooters, 90% of the Precision Bartlein or Krieger barrels I own are from Compass Lake and are all Sub 1/2" MOA barrels but that's ONLY because Paul Ross was the head Barrel Smith there and was bassicly running the shop.

Conrad gave Paul R and others thier walking papers when they shut down, Paul is currently setting up his own shop and is just waiting on a couple pieces of equipment before he's up and running.

I have all of his information on his new shop and will release all his info once he gives me the go-ahead, what I can tell you is not only will he be turning Gas Gun Barrels and providing the same custom Gun Smith Machining work that he did at CLE but he will also be offering Bolt Gun services for Pre Fits and Actiion/Barrel services.

Last edited:
The 3 main shops I have the most experience with are GA Precision, Precision Firearms, and JP.

I had GAP build me 2 different large frame guns before they offered their own GAP-10, and both are lasers/reliable.

I’ve had PF turn several barrels for me and have tested their small and large frame guns over the years.

I’ve either sold, built, or assessed various JP rifles since 2003 and have seen many in competitions, both 3-Gun and Long Range matches including 3-day events.

Any of these 3 companies are top-shelf in the large frame market.

I’m only into large frame ARs due to so many years of work with them, but have mainly replaced what they did for me with Grendel in small frame AR-15s. I still toy with some ideas for large frames though. I think a 12” would be fun, suppressed.

I just picked of a bunch of his new Rock Creek Barrels in, .223, 6ARC, .308 and 6.5CM and have some Bartlein's being turned as we speak as well.

I'll be doing a couple reviews on them as soon as I finish up with the V seven 5.56 Barrel review. Most likely I'll start with the .308 or 6ARC.
Where do you post your reviews… I’d like to see those.

Where do you post your reviews… I’d like to see those.

In here, just keep an eye out for them. I normally do a review on a product or build once I've put it through its paces and have come to the conclusion that it's reached its peak.

Going forward they will be evolving threads that will start with initial impressions/overview and move forward with the purpose /assembly, and then performance and evaluation.

If you have parts selected and want a good builder that will assemble everything to perfection, Dave Wilson with D.Wilson Mfg is a solid option as well.

Reactions: simonp