• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision issues when going from no bi-pod feet to using bi-pod feet.

bbhank

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 9, 2009
    so cal
    Have any of you noticed that after installing bipod feet that you needed to change the way you drive your rifle?

Went to the range yesterday and a buddy had just installed his new feet on his bi-pod and he couldnt get his rifle to print a group like it would before the feet.

Rifle: stock Remington 700 magpul addition, bravo chassis, atlas bipod, vortex gen 2 pst. No other changes from last session to this one except the feet. Less than 200 rounds since the last cleaning.

Thanks for your help!!!

Have any of you noticed that after installing bipod feet that you needed to change the way you drive your rifle?

Went to the range yesterday and a buddy had just installed his new feet on his bi-pod and he couldnt get his rifle to print a group like it would before the feet.

Rifle: stock Remington 700 magpul addition, bravo chassis, atlas bipod, vortex gen 2 pst. No other changes from last session to this one except the feet. Less than 200 rounds since the last cleaning.

Thanks for your help!!!
    Which Atlas bipod? Changed from what feet to what other feet? And what was the surface the bipod was on? Cement bench, wood bench with carpet, shooting mat with bipod loading strap in the front, etc??

Which Atlas bipod? Changed from what feet to what other feet? And what was the surface the bipod was on? Cement bench, wood bench with carpet, shooting mat with bipod loading strap in the front, etc??
    It is an atlas prs it had rubber feet on it and then he switched to the atlas spike feet. Shooting off a wood bench!

Reactions: Baron23
    The only difference for me is if I have the wrong feet on for thr surface and the bipod won't grip it at all so there no way to load it. That's honestly why I leave rubber on them most of the time unless I'm positive I will be on grass or dirt.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
    In Fclass, they don’t use bipods, and simply allow the rifle to slide back and forth on the front rest/bags/whatever they are using. I’ve heard of those rifles going from shooting acceptably, to not acceptable at all, by simply increasing or decreasing the lubricity of the rest/bag setup.

This all to say, in order to have a really tight shooting rifle, the muzzle has to be in the same place when the projectiles are released from the barrel. That is controlled by how the rifle is recoiling before the bullet leave the barrel. Therefore, anything that changes the direction, consistency, or way in which the rifle recoils, can and will effect the size and or location of the group.

So yes. Going from a bipod foot that can more or less slide across wood, to one that sticks hard into wood, will definitely change the way the rifle recoils, and potentially have a negative impact on precision.