• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Recce Rifle

bigjake83

Golden Shellback
Minuteman
  • May 19, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    Full Custom Recce Rifle.

This is how I've built my most accurate recce rifle to date. It's a true .25 - .5 MOA Rifle.

The LaRue Upper Receiver/ Handguard system will accommodate anything from 14.5"-20" barrel with rifle length gas and a Max .875 AGB (SET SCREW ONLY)
    so the below specs can easily be used to build an outstanding DMR Rifle.

Custom Hybrid Contour 16" Krieger Barrel fluted, 1-7.7 Wyde Chamber, 9/16 Threaded, and headspaced by Compass Lake to a JP enhanced Bolt. Before the barrel extension that I provided was threaded onto the barrel it was polished to a mirror finish, feeds without scratching brass or projectiles.
    In the past year and a half with all the builds I've done this Barrel contour has produced the best Barrel harmonics, and with the 9/16x24 threads it keeps the heat distribution even.

Fully Adjustable Mid Length gas system.

American Precision Arms muzzle brake.(very effective and easy to install)

Complete JP LMOS BCG and SCS Tuned to this Rifle. (Has second SCS (H2) if someone chooses to run suppressed)

KAC 45° Off Set BUIS

Larue Upper Receiver and handguard. Upper receiver face was trued properly on a lathe with dial indicators, same as you would true a 700 action, and was properly bedded. (I specifically chose the Larue setup because it's an honest free floating system, nothing touches the barrel or barrel nut not even the handguard)

PWS Full Ambi Lower (the reason I chose this lowers because it's almost identical to the KAC SR15 Ambi lower)

Tuned AR Gold Trigger set 1LBS 13oz

Trijicon Accupower 1-8x MIL with BoBro QD Mount.

This 10rd 100yrd Group was shot after I completed proper barrel break-in Gas/Buffer adjustment, and Scope/BUIS zeroing at 100yrds. Only 65rds of Black Hills 77gr Match down the tube. Pretty phenomenal group considering I couldn't even see my point of aim while shooting with the X8 Triji, and the center crosshair completely covers the bullseye.

Only changes that I will make if I decide to keep this is the addition of a Luth MBA-3 Carbine Stock, for full comfort adjustability, and I'm going to replace the 1-8 Trijicon accupower with a Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18, since there's only like a 1oz difference in weight and with a better power magnification I'll be able to truly print some Bugholes.
    Luth-AR-MBA-3-Carbine-Stock-MBA-3-862388000122.jpg
    9-1.jpg

IMG_20190509_190107811.jpg

IMG-6464ec210c923403d830a27e2c3226b1-V.jpg
    IMG_20190511_095450197.jpg
    IMG_20190511_095952756_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190511_095708701.jpg
    IMG_20190511_095618415.jpg
    IMG_20190424_172948096.jpg

Last edited:
    That’s one of the worst optics to shoot for groups with given the size of the reticle. I’m interested in how it really shoots with the Mark 5.

What did you use for bedding? I’ve been using rocksett but don’t think that’s ideal.

I am also a fan of the hand guard mounting directly to the receiver, although I use mega instead of Larue. May have to give Larue a try now that Mega is gone.

Reactions: themightytimmah
    That’s one of the worst optics to shoot for groups with given the size of the reticle. I’m interested in how it really shoots with the Mark 5.

What did you use for bedding? I’ve been using rocksett but don’t think that’s ideal.

I am also a fan of the hand guard mounting directly to the receiver, although I use mega instead of Larue. May have to give Larue a try now that Mega is gone.

Yes it is quite difficult to shoot for groups with that scope that's why I was so pleased even with the two flyers. During the break-in and tuning phase I did use a vortex HD GEN 1 5-20 with a BoBro mount, for two 5 shot groups that's how I know it is guaranteed to shoot .25 - .5 MOA. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures of those groups because the Triji was the Optics of choice for this build and I had zero it, but both were one ragged hole groups. If this doesn't find a new home I will do a 6x5 for you guys.

I thought about using Mega Upper Receivers but I don't like the way the barrel nut secures the barrel from inside the receiver.

Ideally thermal fitting is the preferred method but all depends on manufacturer specs, I don't advise using the shim techniques.

I use Red 271, but first I get a small patch of 300 grit sandpaper and scuff the inside of the barrel extension channel of the Upper Receiver, so that it gets in there and holds tight.

After that I clean all surfaces inside the receiver and Barrel extension with Carb Cleaner. Apply a liberal and evenly distributed amount around Barrel Extension and inside receiver. Insert barrel, immediately wipe away all excess 271, apply some anti seize to Barrel Nut, torque between 50-60 foot pounds. After torquing barrel nut make sure to immediately look inside of the receiver to make sure no 271 has been pushed out, if so wipe out with Q-Tip.

After that I usually let the upper/barrel set somewhere vertically over night. (MAKE SURE TO SEASON THREADS AND PREINSTALL AND REASSEMBLE BEFORE MAKING THIS FINAL ASSEMBLY)

Last edited:
    I’m also a fan of the Krieger barrels. My KAC LPR is a Krieger. That rifle is LIGHTS OUT. I’m all about Bartlein in my bolt guns, but there MAY be something to the Kriegers as well.
    Your set up looks awesome.
    I’m using the ATACR 1-8 on mine.
    I shot a match with Jack Leuba and Ash Hess down in Georgia last month and switched over to my 4-16 ATACR for that match, but 99% of the time it’s a work gun with the 1-8 on her.

Yes it is quite difficult to shoot for groups with that scope that's why I was so pleased even with the two flyers. During the break-in and tuning phase I did use a vortex HD GEN 1 5-20 with a BoBro mount, for two 5 shot groups that's how I know it is guaranteed to shoot .25 - .5 MOA. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures of those groups because the Triji was the Optics of choice for this build and I had zero it, but both were one ragged hole groups. If this doesn't find a new home I will do a 6x5 for you guys.

I thought about using Mega Upper Receivers but I don't like the way the barrel nut secures the barrel from inside the receiver.

Ideally thermal fitting is the preferred method but all depends on manufacturer specs, I don't advise using the shim techniques.

I use Red 271, but first I get a small patch of 300 grit sandpaper and scuff the inside of the barrel extension channel of the Upper Receiver, so that it gets in there and holds tight.

After that I clean all surfaces inside the receiver and Barrel extension with Carb Cleaner. Apply a liberal and evenly distributed amount around Barrel Extension and inside receiver. Insert barrel, immediately wipe away all excess 271, apply some anti seize to Barrel Nut, torque between 50-60 foot pounds. After torquing barrel nut make sure to immediately look inside of the receiver to make sure no 271 has been pushed out, if so wipe out with Q-Tip.

After that I usually let the upper/barrel set somewhere vertically over night. (MAKE SURE TO SEASON THREADS AND PREINSTALL AND REASSEMBLE BEFORE MAKING THIS FINAL ASSEMBLY)

One of my Megas is so tight it’s beyond thermo fit. Heating the upper is not enough, I have to use the mechanical leverage of torquing the barrel nut to seat the barrel.

Unfortunately this is likely imparting stress on the upper or extension or both, especially with the much thicker mega front end. No barrel I’ve put into this upper has shot worth a damn, even known good shooting barrels.

Furthermore, I have not been able to get barrels out on my own, I’ve had to send to ADCO to do it.

One of my Megas is so tight it’s beyond thermo fit. Heating the upper is not enough, I have to use the mechanical leverage of torquing the barrel nut to seat the barrel.

Unfortunately this is likely imparting stress on the upper or extension or both, especially with the much thicker mega front end. No barrel I’ve put into this upper has shot worth a damn, even known good shooting barrels.

Furthermore, I have not been able to get barrels out on my own, I’ve had to send to ADCO to do it.

it's definitely a dance between man and machine , once you get a working formula that you can repeat it's quite enjoyable.

I’m also a fan of the Krieger barrels. My KAC LPR is a Krieger. That rifle is LIGHTS OUT. I’m all about Bartlein in my bolt guns, but there MAY be something to the Kriegers as well.
    Your set up looks awesome.
    I’m using the ATACR 1-8 on mine.
    I shot a match with Jack Leuba and Ash Hess down in Georgia last month and switched over to my 4-16 ATACR for that match, but 99% of the time it’s a work gun with the 1-8 on her.

The F1 ATACR 1-8 was definitely my first choice, but just couldn't justify the price. The Triji is built like a tank, great glass and works well for Steel and Biped Varmints if needed.

The F1 ATACR 1-8 was definitely my first choice, but just couldn't justify the price. The Triji is built like a tank, great glass and works well for Steel and Biped Varmints if needed.
    The crosshairs are like 2" thick though lol. I have one on a scar17

Are you planning on selling the upper? You said something about a new home for it ?

My Recce rifle is one of the first rifles I ever built and to this day if not the most, one of the most accurate AR's Ive ever built or shot. Its a straight hammer with 77smk. It sports a 16" WOA 1:7 barrel. First barrel ever purchased from WOA. Its got easily 6000rd on it and its still just as accurate as the day I built it.

No special heavy walled, reinforced upper. Just a forged Aero upper and lower. No upper receiver face lapping/truing, no bedding. Didnt do any of that back then.

Aero Upper/Lower
    Young Manufactoring BCG
    BCM CH
    Timney AR Competition 3lb single stage trigger
    Troy Handguard
    Syrac Adjustable gas block
    Magpul UBR stock
    ADM AD-Recon 30mm QD Mount
    Leupold Mark 4 MR/T 1.5-5 CM-R2 Reticle

PMC X-tac 62gr Green Tip 100yds

IMI 77gr OTM Razor-Core 500yds w/5x Optic submoa

Hornady 75gr Superformance @ 100yds

6000 rounds is impressive. My last Krieger died at 3500. But it was also used in gas gun matches with unlimited round count stages.

6000 rounds is impressive. My last Krieger died at 3500. But it was also used in gas gun matches with unlimited round count stages.

The first 4000rd through this rifle was mostly 62gr Xtac and 77smk handloads at various 2 gun matches and training classes weekend after weekend. Hasnt skipped a beat since then.

I too have a Krieger in 20” form and it is a laser beam. However, I wish I went with a 16” Like you jake.

I shoot PRS with it, but it’s a struggle and it’s so heavy with the 20” HBAR that it doesn’t really work very well as an AR.

I handload 77gr TMKs and it is reliably ~1 MOA out to 600.

This group is at 300y

The crosshairs are like 2" thick though lol. I have one on a scar17

Are you planning on selling the upper? You said something about a new home for it ?

I could sell the Upper but I'd prefer to sell it as a complete rifle as I have already tuned the LMOS. Send me a PM if want to talk about working something out.

Last edited:
    Reactions: deersniper
    My Recce rifle is one of the first rifles I ever built and to this day if not the most, one of the most accurate AR's Ive ever built or shot. Its a straight hammer with 77smk. It sports a 16" WOA 1:7 barrel. First barrel ever purchased from WOA. Its got easily 6000rd on it and its still just as accurate as the day I built it.

No special heavy walled, reinforced upper. Just a forged Aero upper and lower. No upper receiver face lapping/truing, no bedding. Didnt do any of that back then.

Aero Upper/Lower
    Young Manufactoring BCG
    BCM CH
    Timney AR Competition 3lb single stage trigger
    Troy Handguard
    Syrac Adjustable gas block
    Magpul UBR stock
    ADM AD-Recon 30mm QD Mount
    Leupold Mark 4 MR/T 1.5-5 CM-R2 Reticle

PMC X-tac 62gr Green Tip 100yds

IMI 77gr OTM Razor-Core 500yds w/5x Optic submoa

Hornady 75gr Superformance @ 100yds

when I sent you that message not long ago about doing that AR build-off, this was the one I was going to submit. It's not the most accurate AR rifle I ever built, but is definitely the most accurate Recce rifle I've done, especially since I've only shot Black Hills 77gr through it and its already produced .25 MOA Groups with only 65rds down the tube. Just think what some handloads could do.

Reactions: lennyo3034
    when I sent you that message not long ago about doing that AR build-off, this was the one I was going to submit. It's not the most accurate AR rifle I ever built, but is definitely the most accurate Recce rifle I've done, especially since I've only shot Black Hills 77gr through it and its already produced .25 MOA Groups with only 65rds down the tube. Just think what some handloads could do.

Its producing consistent .25 moa agg 5x5?? or it shot a .25moa group? I would say thats the most accurate AR Ive seen if its producing .25 agg

Its producing consistent .25 moa agg 5x5?? or it shot a .25moa group? I would say thats the most accurate AR Ive seen if its producing .25 agg

No I Haven't shot 6x5 yet, I've only shot a total of 65 rounds for break-in zeroing sights, and tuning. I've shot 3 Groups totally (1) 10rd which is pictured above, that was damn near shot blindly. And I shot (2) 5rd groups with a Vortex Razor HD1 5-20 and 100 yards that were both ragged holes, definitely under .5 most likely between .250 - .340 MOA. I told the gentleman above that I would do a 6x5 if I decide to keep this. I just don't want to put anymore rounds down range if somebody decides to adopt this beauty.

Keep in mind that's not with landloads, just BH Blue box 77gr.

Last edited:
    Out of all the 16-inch builds I've done I think a lot of this accuracy is contributed to the true free floating system and the custom contour Krieger Barrel Frank and I came up with.

Last edited:

JSE surplus has 44 monolithic uppers for sale. It was posted earlier in the forum. It's damn tempting but I can get the Seekins faux mono upper/handguard for around $150 less. Now if they had the large frame version of the Mega, I would have bought it already.

Out of all the 16-inch builds I've done I think a lot of this accuracy is contributed to the true free floating system and the custom contour Krieger Barrel Frank and I came up with.
    Can you buy Larue’s upper and that specific handguard separately or do you need to purchase an UU kit and cannibalize the parts you want?

Care to share any details regarding the barrel profile? I looks like a medium-heavy type barrel.

Here's my 16" Recce rifle. Its a tack driver that I built 10+ years ago. Has 5000+ rounds on it and it still drives tacks.

Aero Upper/Lower
    Young NM BCG
    WOA 16" Recce barrels custom ordered by SI back in the day.
    Troy Alpha handguard
    Magpul UBR
    Timney AR15 Comp trigger

Loves 77smk and 8208XBR

I decided to build a new 16" AR. This build is not intended to be a Recce rifle. Looking for something a lighter but still very accurate. I will do some side by side testing and 5x5's with my Recce and this new build in the coming weeks and will post the results up here. More to see the accuracy potential of the new builds barrel and how it compares to my proven Recce rifle. Here's the build list

BCM MOD4 Thermofit upper
    Spikes Tactical Crusader lower receiver
    16" Wilson Combat Ranger 5.56 1:7 416SS Mid Gas
    15" BCM MCMR M-LOK Handguard
    Geissele Super Gas Block
    Toolcraft DLC BCG
    Geissele Super Charging Handle
    Geissele SD3G
    Hogue Grip
    BAD Ambi Safety
    Spikes 6 Position buffer tube
    Geissele Super 42 Braided Wire Buffer Spring
    Geissele H1 buffer
    Magpul ACS-L stock
    Aimpoint T2
    Diamonhead Folding BUIS

Reactions: PBWalsh
    I'll take you up on a build off.

I'm building one for a friend:

Falkor Receiver set and Handguard(crazy cheap deal)
    Bartlien 16" from Craddock(known good shooting)
    Various Geissele Parts from Prize table

It'll end up being a top shelf rifle for around $1000 which is something ridiculous. The barrel is a known good shooting barrel that I had bought as a spare but shot so well he wanted it. I had installed it on a thrown together upper with no care to assembly and it still shot well. This time I'm going to bed it and use a beefier upper.

He's thinking about the trijicon too.

@just browsing

I'll take you up on a build off.

I'm building one for a friend:

Falkor Receiver set and Handguard(crazy cheap deal)
    Bartlien 16" from Craddock(known good shooting)
    Various Geissele Parts from Prize table

It'll end up being a top shelf rifle for around $1000 which is something ridiculous. The barrel is a known good shooting barrel that I had bought as a spare but shot so well he wanted it. I had installed it on a thrown together upper with no care to assembly and it still shot well. This time I'm going to bed it and use a beefier upper.

He's thinking about the trijicon too.

@just browsing

Sounds good Brother, let me know when. Mine has had a few changes to it since this Thread.

IMG_20190622_195405503.jpg
    IMG_20190622_195436591.jpg

Last edited: