• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Advice/Help With Decision

DRAGON64

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2011
Alabama
A little help here; I have a shot at two single-shot precision rifles; a Remington 40X (700 action) and a Kimber 82G. Both have beautiful stocks. The 82G is NIB, having never been assembled or shot, and the 40X is used, but what looks to be in excellent condition. Luckily both rifles are coming from the same seller... I can afford either, but unfortunately I can only buy one... Given the choice which would give a new home to?

I do not know a crap about either one, I am European.. But can help you by asking some questions to set them apart.

How did they shoot?
How did the bolt manipulate?
Which one had better feel to it, the stock mainly?
Did you shoot both in prone or whatever stance you will be shooting it?
Did the stocks have adjustable LOP and cheek comb?
Are they easily modifyable?

How is the aftermarket support for making above mods?

Are you thinking of getting a chassis later on for the 40X?

Last edited:
Reactions: DRAGON64
I do not know a crap about either one, I am Europian.. But can help you by asking some questions to set them apart.

How did they shoot?
How did the bolt manipulate?
Which one had better feel to it, the stock mainly?
Did you shoot both in prone or whatever stance you will be shooting it?
Did the stocks have adjustable LOP and cheek comb?
Are they easily modifyable?

How is the aftermarket support for making above mods?

Are you thinking of getting a chassis later on for the 40X?

These rifles would be an internet purchase, so I do not know how they shoot or even what ammo they would like. But I have owned similar models of these rifles in the past, so I have a good idea on the characteristics of each.

What really strikes me about the Kimber is the beautiful stock, and the "newness" of the rifle (having never been shot). I would get to be the one to break her in so to speak.

The Rem 700 is just the best one could ask for in a precision rifle. Although not new by any stretch, the rifle would still be the smoother of the rifles to shoot. But the 40X would also be the heaviest with the 28" long bull barrel. This 40X also has a nice looking stock.

Both rifles would come with precision "peep" sights, and would be scope mountable. As stated below by Reverie Ranges, the Rem 40X would have far better aftermarket support.

I am partial to the Rem as it is what I was taught on. Easy to upgrade/customize if and when you want to.

I too am kind of partial to the Rem... Those 40X actions, bolts and triggers were always top notch; smoothest actions I had ever had the pleasure to shoot. I do remember that the Kimber 82G had a bolt that really needed TLC, as it would chew up camming bolts if you did not keep them lubed... Some 82G owners did not like the triggers, and would replace them with the far more expensive aftermarket triggers.

Images of both...

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

I would maybe go with the 40X.
I do not see any particular joy in breakin in a rifle.
Also bolt manipulation is a quite big issue.

Just be sure it is a shooter.

Not even close, choose the 40x if you're wanting a heavy accurate precision rifle. In all the years running my long-range rimfire matches and attending others I haven't seen an 82-G at one yet but been plenty of 40Xs.

Topstrap

Last edited:
How close is the price to a Vudoo? The Vudoo is a Rem 700 footprint and you know you are getting a shooter. I know I held out for awhile on buying one but once I got it I regretted waiting so long.

It's an older style target gun but still one of the best. I did upgrade my trigger to a Timney Calvin Elite and a newer chassis. They can be easily changed for different types of shooting but will never be a PRS/NRL type gun. Hope you enjoy it for the matches in your area.

Topstrap

I have both and have found the Kimber to be far inferior to a Remington 40X. Buy the Remington and leave the Kimber to another purchaser!!!!!!

Someone else sent me a PM (not from here) and offered up their Kimber 82G at a much lower price than the one pictured above... So now I will be getting the 40X pictured above, and this new Kimber offering. Good thing I will be broke for a while, so it is a good thing I bought ammo first.