• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Balance

Good question. I used to use my bipod with a 26" straight barrel, but I just went to a 28" straight and don't need the bipod to balance any longer. I'm running an MDT ACC chassis on BOTH 22LR and 6mmBRA competition rifles and love that chassis. I could have balanced it with the 26" barrel but was just lazy. To be specific, you may get into situations with say a very narrow window in a shoot house that a bipod may interfere with, so IMHO, it's best to balance without the bipod.

I do setup without it and then if my bipod is on, I don’t worry about it/I’d rather be a little nose heavy than butt heavy. I tend to take the BP off unless I’m using it. For a barricade or prop that’s gun on bag or something, the bipod comes off. Too many times I pulled a ckye-pod leg out long by catching it on a bag or pulled the bag off the rooftop or had to swivel the gun into a port.

Balance with it off.

I'd balance with it off.
I too prefer to remove my bipod unless I'm actually using it, especially when having to poke the rifle through small barricades/holes.

With the bipod attached the balance point will be a little bit further forward so you can still shoot off a barricade/bag. If your rifle weights 20lbs the additional weight shouldn't make too much of a difference anyway.