• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Builders

Laredo308

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2022
Laredo, TX.
Hope everybody is doing well. Guess I am the newest member of the forum because I just registered my self 3 minutes ago.
I being a hunter for 30+ year but never interested on precision rifles until I got mu hands on a GA Precision this past December. After cleaning my safe I came across several rifle parts such as:
  • McMillan A3 stock
  • Brand New Rem 700 / 6.5 Creed action
  • Badger Ordnance M5 DBM
  • Jewell Trigger
  • Two (2) 6.5 creed Bartlein Barrels / M24 contour and Med Palma Contour
Now the the two answers I need help with and one the reasons I join the forum are as follow:

1.- Which barrel contour should I use for the build?
2.- Rifle builder you all may recommend?

The idea is to to use the riffle for hunting from a deer blind and shoot steel plates every now and then.

Thanks everybody in advance for your helpful input.

If you look around, you will find several that can do excellent work. I personally recommend Chad Dixon of Long Rifles Inc. He is as much artist as gunsmith.

Reactions: Stoweit
@FisherT&C Did great work for me on a Tikka 300Win

Haven't shot it for groups yet, but it was consistently on target on steel out to just under 1400 yds no problem so far.

Attachments

• IMG_20211215_094513684.jpg
    IMG_20211215_094513684.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20211215_100537631.jpg
    IMG_20211215_100537631.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: Carl_Ross
If you look around, you will find several that can do excellent work. I personally recommend Chad Dixon of Long Rifles Inc. He is as much artist as gunsmith.
Thanks for the input. I already spoke to his team once and he is my top contender so far. The only thing is the lead time. He said 6 months

@FisherT&C Did great work for me on a Tikka 300Win

Haven't shot it for groups yet, but it was consistently on target on steel out to just under 1400 yds no problem so far.
Thanks for the quick reply. 1400 yds is impressive for me. My hunts in South Texas are no more than 200-250 yds. I will take a look at Fisher T&C

I had a lot of parts names and things I would like but had mile high put mine together and I still thank them 3 years later While I don't know if they use those exact parts all I could Say is give them an email or call I am sure they could help you .best of luck and welcome .

I had a lot of parts names and things I would like but had mile high put mine together and I still thank them 3 years later While I don't know if they use those exact parts all I could Say is give them an email or call I am sure they could help you .best of luck and welcome .
Thanks for the input, I may give them a call to check the lead time and I will take it from there. Sometimes is well worth it.

Reactions: acudaowner
Personally I’d use the medium Palma. It’s at least fairly likely that your McMillan is inletted for that contour and unless it’s a dedicated match rifle or a magnum I find m24 too heavy for my taste. My match rifle is medium Palma. I also might opt for a trigger tech trigger. Supposedly the Jewel can have function troubles with a little grit, but mine has run fine to date FWIW. Keep the Jewel for a bench gun.

Personally I’d use the medium Palma. It’s at least fairly likely that your McMillan is inletted for that contour and unless it’s a dedicated match rifle or a magnum I find m24 too heavy for my taste. My match rifle is medium Palma. I also might opt for a trigger tech trigger. Supposedly the Jewel can have function troubles with a little grit, but mine has run fine to date FWIW. Keep the Jewel for a bench gun.
Thanks for the input about the barrel contour and the trigger. I have seeing the trigger tech but never fire one. Which stock yo have on your match rifle? I was looking for a manners and "Long Rifle Inc has some blanks but not sure about the extra expense.

Thanks for the input about the barrel contour and the trigger. I have seeing the trigger tech but never fire one. Which stock yo have on your match rifle? I was looking for a manners and "Long Rifle Inc has some blanks but not sure about the extra expense.
Mine is in an AICS. I built it before there were as many options as there are now. I also considered running NV and the AICS gave me the option of a 20 MOA rail running full length for NV or thermal.

I’d use what I had. It sounds like a very good setup for what you want to do. Lay the palma in the barrel channel. See if it matches up and let us know.

Also, look at the rear of both barrel blanks. What twist are they?

998235B6-290D-41EE-B346-921C5E26D183.jpeg
This is my grocery getter. 6.5 Creedmoor. Medium Palma. Factory Remington, trued. Trigger tech primary. 8 twist Bartlein. It’s actually in a Grayboe Terrain in an urban flecktarn setup. It’s a cheap stock but solid enough. I bed mine and it shoots 140 ELD match into as small a hole as I can hold to. Every bit as accurate as my match rifle (which is the same exact components, minus the stock)

Reactions: r3plicator
I would go with the medium palma. Have you thought about GA Precision?

View attachment 7787073This is my grocery getter. 6.5 Creedmoor. Medium Palma. Factory Remington, trued. Trigger tech primary. 8 twist Bartlein. It’s actually in a Grayboe Terrain in an urban flecktarn setup. It’s a cheap stock but solid enough. I bed mine and it shoots 140 ELD match into as small a hole as I can hold to. Every bit as accurate as my match rifle (which is the same exact components, minus the stock)
That an Arken scope on that sweet rig

It’s an Athlon. I’ve been pretty happy with the Chronus stuff. It’s better to my eye than the Razor, but that’s just me. Is my PMII better? Sure. Is it $2000 better? No.

I’ll probably fool around and get either a ZCO or TT someday, but currently have several examples from S&B and Kahles. I don’t feel ashamed to tote my Athlons. FYI those are Athlon rings too! 🚨

View attachment 7787073This is my grocery getter. 6.5 Creedmoor. Medium Palma. Factory Remington, trued. Trigger tech primary. 8 twist Bartlein. It’s actually in a Grayboe Terrain in an urban flecktarn setup. It’s a cheap stock but solid enough. I bed mine and it shoots 140 ELD match into as small a hole as I can hold to. Every bit as accurate as my match rifle (which is the same exact components, minus the stock)
Awesome rigg. Hope my turned similar to this one. I weas aiming for 130-140 because of the twist. AI also tough on a similar camo colors but different pattern. thanks for the info provided.

I would go with the medium palma. Have you thought about GA Precision?
The reason now I am looking for is because finally I got to shoot a GA-Thunder Ranch Edition. Now I want to build something with some of the parts that I already have. I thought they will only sell their rifles. I will take a look on their fees and lead timer too. Thanks

Reactions: Stan73
The reason now I am looking for is because finally I got to shoot a GA-Thunder Ranch Edition. Now I want to build something with some of the parts that I already have. I thought they will only sell their rifles. I will take a look on their fees and lead timer too. Thanks
I have a GA crusader 6 creed, and that rifle shoots like a champ. GA will build your rifle with your parts as well.

I have a GA crusader 6 creed, and that rifle shoots like a champ. GA will build your rifle with your parts as well.
Thanks for the input.
Mine is a Thunder Ranch Edition chambered in .308 and it is right on up to 400 Yds. with off the shell ammo. I am pretty sure It should perform way beyond that but haven't try.