• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Definition

A5scott

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Eastern PA
This came up in conversation, and I was curious what others thought the definition of a precision rifle was.

For me, it's about meeting an accuracy requirement, say .5 or .75 MOA, maybe even 1 MOA, and less about the platform specs and sighting devices such as optics and irons.

Accurate, precise, repeatable. I guess reliability is implied with repeatable.

No matter if it's an accurized infantry rifle built into a sniper rifle, or a old Rem 700 with an upgraded barrel, etc...

What are your thoughts?

Scott

Politicians will define it as soon as they get Assault Rifles banned. Guessing anything with over 10 powered scope that can take a detachable magazine.

Reactions: doubloon
I think a precision rifle is a rifle that is precise, as in, small difference between PoA and PoI. In PRS competitions, I believe this becomes even more crucial at the longer distances.

How do you get there? Probably as many ways to build it as there are people here.

Just like, IMHO, a sniper rifle is a rifle being used by a sniper, regardless of the actual build quality or features.

Reactions: camocorvette
To be real...
Pull the weapon (doesn't have to be a rifle) out of it's case, cold bore shot.
Beer or soda can at 300 yards or more.
You get 1 shot only.
If you get a clean hit and not a glancing on the edge hit, it is precision.....if not....it ain't, go back and fix that shit.

Reactions: Balor and A5scott
Politicians will define it as soon as they get Assault Rifles banned. Guessing anything with over 10 powered scope that can take a detachable magazine.
of course, once semi autos are banned, and the crime rate is the same, they will go after pistols, and then bolt action rifles.

How do you get there? Probably as many ways to build it as there are people here.

Just like, IMHO, a sniper rifle is a rifle being used by a sniper, regardless of the actual build quality or features.

this is kind of what I was thinking.

Scott

A firearm followed by any of these phrases: "Shoots lights out", "When I do my part", "All day long", "Hair off a nats ass", or any other similar phrase.

Reactions: Ronws
Already tried in 1995. After Democrats got the Clinton AWB they tried to go after anything that looked like a sniper rifle. Their definition covered any scoped rifle that wasn't rimfire. Ted Kennedy annually tried to ban any round that could defeat police body armor. That also covered most rifle ammo.

This is an interesting topic.
To be real...
Pull the weapon (doesn't have to be a rifle) out of it's case, cold bore shot.
Beer or soda can at 300 yards or more.
You get 1 shot only.
If you get a clean hit and not a glancing on the edge hit, it is precision.....if not....it ain't, go back and fix that shit.

I pull out a 22 rimfire with iron sights. I pull out an air rifle.....sling shot......cross bow, "normal" bow....compound vs. recurve vs long.......

You said does not have to be a rifle. Hell pick a hand gun.

My answer is going to depend on just what it is.

I agree with most of what is said here in the world of center fire "full power" rifle rounds. Where would a pistol caliber carbine fall in.

You folk know I like the old military stuff, normal standard issue things. The metric for acceptable even back in the 40's was in many countries a roughly 3" group at 100-yards-meters...sometimes a tick more sometimes a tick less. "good" ones often got sent to become "sniper" rifles.

A standard issue rifle that hits an 8" plate all day at 100 I would call good, very good after all these years. A 2" plate would be precision for that class of rifle.

Depends on what it is.

Does this qualify?
20231112_122513.jpg

20231112_122215.jpg
Resized_1000002454_265230133609706.jpeg

A freedom seed dispenser.

A bing-bang that slings out boolots.

Fire stick make heap big noise.

Reactions: A5scott
A lot of merit to this…

“Most” mechanical things are more repeatable than the quivering mass of organic goo holding it.

Most.

Sirhr
Somehow a i can hold a 2 MOA rack AR and get 2 MOA groups but I can't hold a .75 MOA National Match Service Rifle and get .75 MOA groups. (On bags I can get .75.)

Reactions: Keith E.