• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle for ~$2000

WestDesertPRS

Sergeant of Marines
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2019
Looking at some options for a new rifle. I'd like to keep it around $2000 or less (rifle only) and I'm fairly set on 300 PRC for the caliber. I've been mostly considering the Ruger Precision Rifle and Bergara HMR Premier Pro.

I like the fact that the Bergara comes with the Triggertech, and If I decide I'd like it in a chassis I could always drop the barreled action into an MDT.

On the other hand the RPR provides all of that out of the box for only a little more money.

Does anyone have experience related to either of these specific models? My current shooting is out to around 800-1000m now, but I'd like to get a chance to try out some ELR shooting.

Reactions: Elko42
You might want to consider get a big horn origin long action and a proof 300prc steel prefit barrel. Then drop in a KRG bravo chassis with Trigger tech diamond. Total should be around 2500 and would be a nicer setup. You can hit up Front Range Precision, Owen offer great price. My buddy have the 300prc and we have no problem hitting 20” plate multiple time at 2000 yards

Last edited:
You might want to consider get a big horn origin long action and a proof 300prc steel prefit barrel. Then drop in a KRG bravo chassis with Trigger tech diamond. Total should be around 2500 and would be a nicer setup. You can hit up Front Range Precision, Owen offer great price. My buddy have the 300prc and we have no problem hitting 20” plate multiple time at 2000 yards

Thanks for the reply and recommendations. I'll give Front Range Precision a call. I had never considered "custom" as an option due to the cost. I have a good friend who's rifle was built by Altus and he paid about 3x what I'm looking at. I'd be really happy if I could spend $2500 and get consistent groups of 0.5-0.75 MOA.

If you like the RPR (i.e. fits you well) then go for it. Nice rifle, shoots well even in stock configuration. I owned one, it got me started down the bolt gun path, but then I sold it once I figured out what I wanted in a match rifle.

The Bergara (which I don’t own) IMO is the better choice of the two because of the ability to change it up to better suit what you want out of it or if you want to go in a different direct (matches vs hunting). Yes, you can change some parts on the RPR (hand guard, butt stock, grip, barrel, trigger) but at the end of the day you’re restricted to Ruger’s action & lower receiver. The Bergara on the other hand being a Rem700 pattern rifle, you have way more options for stocks/chassis, triggers, barrels, etc.

If your budget is $2500, a semi-custom barreled-action can be done IMO if you don’t go crazy on the stock/chassis.

Action: $900-1,400 depending on what you get
Prefit barrel: $500-800
Trigger: $200-300
Muzzle brake: $100-200
Stock/chassis: $400-$1,500

Thanks. I've been talking to a few people today about the Origin action. I was looking for a Proof prefit in 300 PRC as mentioned above, but seem to be running into some trouble finding one that's chambered and not just a blank. I talked to Preferred Barrel Blanks, and they are really reasonable for a chambered prefit, but I just don't know enough about their quality to be comfortable with them.

I got to compare a couple of Zermatt actions (maker of the Origin) and a few other brands side by side. Ended up going with Impact Precision short-action from Altus and a Proof barrel. Some day I may end up with an Origin if I build another rifle but the Impact just checked a few more boxes for me despite the higher cost. Regardless of brand, the ability to go with a prefit bbl makes it much easier for a DIY’er than needing to go thru a custom gunsmith, and keeps the cost down. After that it’s no harder than putting together an AR (probably easier since less parts).

Your choice of caliber may limit your options for prefit barrels. But I think the key here is to select a reputable action that has good after-market support.

I don’t have any experience with Preferred Barrel Blanks but I’m sure somebody here does.

ETA: Are you from the SLC area (going off the screen name)? If so, I think Lone Peak Arms is in that area.

Thanks. I've been talking to a few people today about the Origin action. I was looking for a Proof prefit in 300 PRC as mentioned above, but seem to be running into some trouble finding one that's chambered and not just a blank. I talked to Preferred Barrel Blanks, and they are really reasonable for a chambered prefit, but I just don't know enough about their quality to be comfortable with them.
Straight jacket, altus and stockeys to start, always PVA for one of their options also.

Preferred barrel actually is not bad. The turn around time about 8-10 weeks. Group size is 1/2 moa or better from my experiences with their 300prc barrel. If you can spend another 1k on top, you can called atlus for their impact barrel action. I believe their impact barrel action around 2600ish.

Reactions: WestDesertPRS
My girlfriend has a Bergara HMR Pro and I have an Origin. My Origin is setup for PRS and her HMR Pro is still factory stock except for the TBAC CB suppressor mount. For the money, the HMR Pro is a fantastic deal. You will have more money into an Origin build for sure, but it will be capable of more accuracy/precision. If your budget is a hard stop, then the choice is an easy one for the HMR Pro. If you can stretch it a little, the Origin is a much better option for a host of reasons.

Thanks for this thread as I am too in the market for precision 300 PRC. I was looking at the Seekins precision HAVAK rifle as I need something light. Gonna use this thing for hunting. However I also wanna shoot a lot long range. I might need two rifles as I’m sure the Havak will over heat etc… another gun is the guns from Christianson. I forget the model wanna say it’s $2500.

You guys gonna handload? If so what does you using. I’m looking into the Redding elite does. Not sure yet tho.

Keep us updated on what you guys decide.

You might consider getting the new ARC action that's $899 introductory price
Seeing if PVA or someone has any prefit barrels coming out for it
Then find the trigger and stock you want.

it will probably come out a bit over your budget all done, but you'll have something really nice and exactly the way you want it for not a huge amount more than a factory gun.

I'm definitely leaning towards the Origin action right now based on features and availability. I started out not considering the custom option, but I think that's very likely the way I'll go now. I'm in Oregon, and trying to get something of my "dream rifle" before the new gun control BS kicks in. Once they implement their FOID card / licensing scheme I likely won't buy another one in this state....

I did as others have reccomended, BigHorn Origin, Proof, TriggerTech, KRG Bravo. Thing is a TACK DRIVER, it is the way to go.
81AC5A8C-12DF-4F99-9BD5-535D58B61559.jpeg

7D8D0D74-53C5-44DF-9E40-B2EB7ADB701E.jpeg

Reactions: Hattrick
I did as others have reccomended, BigHorn Origin, Proof, TriggerTech, KRG Bravo. Thing is a TACK DRIVER, it is the way to go.
View attachment 8045493
View attachment 8045494
That rifle is a beauty! Where did you source the Proof barrel? Was it a blank or did you find one chambered and ready to go? I've been having a hard time finding one chambered and ready to shoot. I found did a good Smith to do a chamber on a blank but he was almost $500 for the work plus the cost of a blank...

Looking at some options for a new rifle. I'd like to keep it around $2000 or less (rifle only) and I'm fairly set on 300 PRC for the caliber. I've been mostly considering the Ruger Precision Rifle and Bergara HMR Premier Pro.

I like the fact that the Bergara comes with the Triggertech, and If I decide I'd like it in a chassis I could always drop the barreled action into an MDT.

On the other hand the RPR provides all of that out of the box for only a little more money.

Does anyone have experience related to either of these specific models? My current shooting is out to around 800-1000m now, but I'd like to get a chance to try out some ELR shooting.

I have a rifle that was built by a fellow by the name of Tony Cannon at one of my sponsors, Doc's Pawn and Gun in Greenville, NC The rifle was a Remington short action that Tony blueprinted. I purchased a Satern M-24 barrel from Brownells that was short chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. I had it bedded in a Bell and Carlson Tactical stock and the rifle is a shooter beyond belief. Factory Hornady ammo. I shot a .187 and my fellow shooting partner shot a .208 with it. I have less than $2k in it and I also have a Jewell trigger in it.....

I also have a tikka t3x tac a1. It’ll outshoot me any day any time and is a fantastic stock rifle.

I have the Bergara HMR Pro and an Altus Defiance custom, both in 6.5CM. The Bergara is a great gun for the money and mine performs quite well out to at least 1000 yards, but it's not in the same league as the Altus/Defiance/Bartlein/MPA. If you are going to spend $2500 I would go custom. There is an Altus built 6.5PRC barreled action with a Hawk Hill barrel for sale here on SH from a reputable seller right now. You can find everything you need for sale on the Hide. You will probably end up spending a little more than what you were originally thinking, but less than what you will spend if you go with one of the stock rifles and then upgrade it later. What are you planning to do for an optic?

Last edited:
What are you planning to do for an optic?
Thanks for sharing the real-world experience with the HMR PRO . For an optic, I already have a Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x on my current rifle that I will move to the new one. If I end up keeping my current rifle then I will likely pick up a mid-range scope for it down the road and keep it as a backup / loaner.

That rifle is a beauty! Where did you source the Proof barrel? Was it a blank or did you find one chambered and ready to go? I've been having a hard time finding one chambered and ready to shoot. I found did a good Smith to do a chamber on a blank but he was almost $500 for the work plus the cost of a blank...

Who’d you have do the chamber? Proof?
Thanks!

Proof Prefit from Front Range Precision. 6 Dasher for mine.

A good smith is always going to up the price of your build by a bit for sure, the prefits are $580 from FRP. What is a blank these days $400? Fritz Alhquist at Black Canyon Customs is the best around here and he is $450, that is a great price if you want to go that route but it is going to be $280 more than a prefit, that is a easy trade off for a loading you can’t find prefit or a custom chamber.

Reactions: clark33

Christensen Arms Ridgeline. Comes with a TriggerTech as standard equipment. MSRP $1999. I have 2 of them, and with handloads, they both shoot in the 1/3 MOA range. You could always sell the stock and put it in a chassis if you wanted, but they’re pretty accurate and lightweight for hunting.

0200F288-9E35-438C-87B4-5E08AB96C628.png
403E9D0C-6E39-4985-8531-EBAE9A4AF58D.jpeg
6295ED91-542F-4B3B-BCCF-A6C39FF659A1.jpeg69BEDF4D-AB28-488F-A1EE-2886600C111B.jpeg

Last edited:
I tend to agree with the consensus. Get the Origin and build from their. Especially since ELR is a consideration. 300 PRC is pretty much over kill for 800 to 1000 but ELR is a whole different story. Save a bit more rather than skimp to purchase now.

Thanks for all the great advice, everyone. After reading through all this I'm definitely going the Origin / prefit route.

I'm going to have an action ordered this week and will be looking at barrels soon. Proof is at the top of my list after all the advice received here. Never having done anything "custom" in a bolt gun, What barrel profiles should I be looking at? Primarily prone or bench shooting at longer ranges. I'm not familiar with all the different names like Sendero vs Palma vs MTU, etc.

Also, muzzle threading.. I've seen options for 5/8"-24 and 3/4"-24. I've previously only seen 5/8, so is the 3/4" threading something I should be looking at?

Thanks for all the great advice, everyone. After reading through all this I'm definitely going the Origin / prefit route.

I'm going to have an action ordered this week and will be looking at barrels soon. Proof is at the top of my list after all the advice received here. Never having done anything "custom" in a bolt gun, What barrel profiles should I be looking at? Primarily prone or bench shooting at longer ranges. I'm not familiar with all the different names like Sendero vs Palma vs MTU, etc.

Also, muzzle threading.. I've seen options for 5/8"-24 and 3/4"-24. I've previously only seen 5/8, so is the 3/4" threading something I should be looking at?

3/4" is fine if you can get the brake/suppressor adapter you want in that size. most of the big 4/5 port devices are available in 3/4" though not as commonly stocked as a 5/8"

M24/M40/MTU/Proof Comp Contour/Heavy Varmint are all standard steel target/precision contours. if you're not carrying it the extra weight isn't a bad thing

the medium/heavy palma isn't bad either but a little lighter

if getting a proof you're limited anyways as they only do a few contours (how they keep price down) and if you're dead set on 300PRC it's not gonna be a steel proof but carbon fiber or have to be chambered from a blank. you could however do a 6.5PRC or a normal 6/6.5CM or 6Dasher in a steel barrel all of which will be easier/cheaper to shoot and do fine to 1k

Most gunsmith will be able to spin you a barrel with origin action. Go with MTU profile if you just shooting off the bench. Get a good solid bipod and a good stable rear rest if u mainly do ELR. Choose wisely with the bipod heights. You might need a bit extra height when you dial 20+ mil on your scope.

Well....I'm all in. Origin action is ordered and on the way.

I found a prefit barrel in 300PRC in-stock at Straight Jacket Armory. The barrel is from Benchmark, who i'm not familiar with, and its 24" instead of the 26" I was looking for. Twist isn't listed (I already messaged them), but am I giving up anything significant losing 2" of barrel with this caliber?

Well....I'm all in. Origin action is ordered and on the way.

I found a prefit barrel in 300PRC in-stock at Straight Jacket Armory. The barrel is from Benchmark, who i'm not familiar with, and its 24" instead of the 26" I was looking for. Twist isn't listed (I already messaged them), but am I giving up anything significant losing 2" of barrel with this caliber?
no 24" is fine. 40-50fps

benchmark makes good barrels

24” is ok, not a deal breaker. Enjoy your new setup, have fun and stay safe.

How does Benchmark stack up against the other top tier manufacturers like Bartlein or Krieger?

What I'm really looking for is a 1/2 MOA rifle. The Benchmark is $799 and if I can spend a little more for better I will definitely do that.

Last edited:
It should a little less than 1/2 moa with factory round.

Is there any difference between the Triggertech Special and Diamond other than the pull weight? I haven't been able to find anything definitive on that. I plan to run 1 - 1.5lbs pull weight, and Precision Shooters has the TT Special on sale for $160 right now so that would work for me. They are sold out of the Diamond or I would have just taken one of those.

Is there any difference between the Triggertech Special and Diamond other than the pull weight? I haven't been able to find anything definitive on that. I plan to run 1 - 1.5lbs pull weight, and Precision Shooters has the TT Special on sale for $160 right now so that would work for me. They are sold out of the Diamond or I would have just taken one of those.

As far as I know, there is no other difference between the diamond and special versions except for pull weight and the diamond does not come with the bolt release since it is targeted towards clone actions that use a side bolt release, like the Zermatt Origin. For a standard Rem 700, you need the model with bolt release and only the primary version and special version come with that option. Got a link for that trigger at that price?

Reactions: spife7980
Forgive the dumb questions, but does that mean this trigger won't work on an Origin since it has the bolt release? I just ordered my Origin Long Action and I'm looking for the other parts now.

Discount code: TRIGGERTECH20

Forgive the dumb questions, but does that mean this trigger won't work on an Origin since it has the bolt release? I just ordered my Origin Long Action and I'm looking for the other parts now.

you can take the bolt release off of a TT (or any trigger really) to use on an origin

Reactions: stevieb92
I really like the diamond on my origin. It is lighter pull weight for bench rest style shooting. You can’t go wrong with triggertech , I have it on all my bolt action.

Yep, you can take the bolt release off, but you can't add one to a trigger that didn't originally come with one. Thanks for the code!

Yep, you can take the bolt release off, but you can't add one to a trigger that didn't originally come with one. Thanks for the code!

Thanks for the tip. I went for the Special. Couldn't pass up $160 with free shipping. I went into this with a budget around $2000 so I'm already blowing past that with a custom build and saving 45% over a Diamond was too good a deal. I don't think I'd want to run a pull weight below 1lb so this should fit the bill.