• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear The Pros Use - NEW DATA PUBLISHED

calz

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2012
Texas
A few months ago, I posted some info on the hide about the gear the top 50 shooters in the Precision Rifle Series were using, including caliber, cartridge, scope, gunsmith, action, barrel, stock, bullet, powder, suppressor, muzzle brake, and rear bag.

In case someone isn't familiar with the Precision Rifle Series … here’s quick explanation:

The Precision Rifle Series (PRS) is a championship style point series race based on the best precision rifle matches nationwide. PRS matches are recognized as the major league of sniper-style rifle matches. At the end of each year, the scores from 15 different matches are evaluated and the top 50 shooters nationwide are invited to compete head to head in the PRS Finale Match. The data I’ve published is based on the equipment those pros brought with them to the most recent finale. This is a great set of data, because 50 shooters is a significant sample size, and this particular group are also considered experts among experts.

I just finished publishing the updated data based on this year’s PRS season finale, which happened just a few weeks ago. I thought you guys might be interested in seeing some of the info that has come out of that. It’s interesting to see the trends between last year and this year.

I've included the highlights here, but if you're interested in digging in a little deeper there are a lot more charts and information provided at PrecisionRifleBlog.comhttp://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/12/17/best-rifle-caliber-what-the-pros-use/.

I only posted a few charts because there is a limit to the number of images in a single post, and I also didn't want to bore anyone ... just hit the few I thought most people would be interested in. But I also published a ton of other charts and data on the gunsmiths these guys used, actions, bullets, powders, brass, shooting rest bags, and a few other things too.

If you're interested, you can check out the other charts and data at PrecisionRifleBlog.com.

Wow, didn't realize Bartlein would have such a overwhelming presence.

Not a shock to me at all. Bartlein makes excellent barrels and have been being used by many people more and more over the past years. All my rifles now wear Bartlein barrels.

Wow, didn't realize Bartlein would have such a overwhelming presence.

It surprised me too. I guess those guys have figured out a way to keep up with demand, where Krieger is currently quoting 11+ months for a MTU or Heavy Palma contour in 6mm or 6.5mm.

That is not to say Bartlein isn't an amazing barrel on their own merit. Here are a couple 3rd party quotes I found about Bartlein's processes:

“Bartlein is a refreshing look at barrel making, they have some innovative methods and machinery that are truly on the cutting edge of barrel technology. They have an impressive shop, definitely the neatest and cleanest I’ve seen.” - BugHoles.com

“Their custom built CNC machines are the most modern in the industry. Bartlein’s precise machining and 5R grooving process increases accuracy and reduces copper build-up. Bartlein stainless steel barrels are the choice of champions worldwide and are used by numerous members of the US Team. Many national records have been set using these barrels. In fact, the President of Grizzly has set several national records in F-Class shooting.” - Grizzly.com

I see that Wiebad makes the most popular rear bag. But which model Wiebad rear bag? Also, which model McMillan stock?

Great data and very helpful as a match director to share with new shooters kitting up and also is obtaining sponsors for the prize table

I see that Wiebad makes the most popular rear bag. But which model Wiebad rear bag? Also, which model McMillan stock?

Todd Tac Pad, and I'm going to venture to say A5 McMillan.

Thank you for putting this together.

How about a list of what is used by non sponsored shooters?

This data can be misinterpreted as a guide by a new shooter thinking this is what it takes to be successful in a given match, just by what the top shooters are using, and that will automatically make them successful. We all know that a top shooter will score the same whether he's shooting a Surgeon action or trued Remington action, etc. As KevinU is hinting at, this data is somewhat meaningless when top shooters are sponsored with equipment. I'm not saying the equipment used by the top shooters is not what it's made out to be, some of my rifles share the same attributes that this data points to, but many wonder, as I do, what equipment would people be using and/or winning with if they weren't sponsored, and had to pay for their equipment themselves?

Last edited:

Man, I hear what you're saying. I'd love to know a lot of the details like that as well, and we did ask a few more questions on this year's survey, like what their muzzle velocity was and what brass they use. But we try to be really respectful of these guys' time. Most of the shooters are really busy with a lot of people fighting for their time every day (think George Gardner who runs GA Precision, or Wade Stuteville who runs Surgeon ... who both completed the survey). If you've ever ran a business, you know exactly what I'm talking about. These guys donated time out of their busy day to fill out our survey, and we just want to be sensitive to what that costs them in terms of time.

There are a number of studies that have proved that as you increase the number of questions on a survey, the number of responses you get will go down proportionately. This year we got just under 90% of the shooters to participate, which is good ... but if we start requiring more detail that will likely drop pretty dramatically. So there is a balance between the amount of detail we can ask and the number of people that will take the time to answer those questions.

Having said that, I do try to provide a little more context in the posts themselves. For example, I did say the most popular Wiebad bag was the Todd Tac-Pad in the shooting bag post. And I also said the most popular McMillan stocks are the A5 and the A1-3 (or the thumbhole stock like the KMW Sentinal Combat Stock) in the stocks post.

Once again, I hear what you're saying ... and I'd like all the exact model numbers too. I just wanted to explain the other side of that equation. It isn't that we just forgot to ask.

This data can be misinterpreted as a guide by a new shooter thinking this is what it takes to be successful in a given match, just by what the top shooters are using, and that will automatically make them successful. We all know that a top shooter will score the same whether he's shooting a Surgeon action or trued Remington action, etc. As KevinU is hinting at, this data is somewhat meaningless when top shooters are sponsored with equipment. I'm not saying the equipment used by the top shooters is not what it's made out to be, some of my rifles share the same attributes that this data points to, but many wonder, as I do, what equipment would people be using and/or winning with if they weren't sponsored, and had to pay for their equipment themselves?

Just as a disclaimer, I realize just because these guys use something doesn't mean its the best out there. Some of them are sponsors shooters, but make no mistake ... they're all fierce competitors. The few guys I know in this absolutely wouldn't use a product that might somehow handicap them, even if it was given to them.

But I do like your idea. Maybe next year we can survey all the PRS members, instead of just the guys who qualify for the finale. The PRS includes a few classes of shooters: pros (mostly sponsored shooters), semi-pros, and one other class down (forgot what they call it). It would be cool to see what the wider group used if we could figure out a way to make it happen.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
The few guys I know in this absolutely wouldn't use a product that might somehow handicap them, even if it was given to them.

Excellent point. That's what some people don't get. They just think people will just take anything that is offered to them. There are some people like that who just will take anything but I don't think any are on that list. Myself and our team have been offered a lot of products but we aren't in it to get free gear. We have turned down a bunch of companies. We are in to win and we use products that will help us best to do that and in that we can promote the products because they work.

Just as a disclaimer, I realize just because these guys use something doesn't mean its the best out there. Some of them are sponsors shooters, but make no mistake ... they're all fierce competitors. The few guys I know in this absolutely wouldn't use a product that might somehow handicap them, even if it was given to them.

But I do like your idea. Maybe next year we can survey all the PRS members, instead of just the guys who qualify for the finale. The PRS includes a few classes of shooters: pros (mostly sponsored shooters), semi-pros, and one other class down (forgot what they call it). It would be cool to see what the wider group used if we could figure out a way to make it happen.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Well put, and I hope I didn't come across as if the data you put together wasn't worthy, you did a good job, and maybe in the future you can put an asterisks next to an item to signify it was something provided by a sponsor, just a taught.

Thanks for the hard work.

Man, I hear what you're saying. I'd love to know a lot of the details like that as well, and we did ask a few more questions on this year's survey, like what their muzzle velocity was and what brass they use. But we try to be really respectful of these guys' time. Most of the shooters are really busy with a lot of people fighting for their time every day (think George Gardner who runs GA Precision, or Wade Stuteville who runs Surgeon ... who both completed the survey). If you've ever ran a business, you know exactly what I'm talking about. These guys donated time out of their busy day to fill out our survey, and we just want to be sensitive to what that costs them in terms of time.

There are a number of studies that have proved that as you increase the number of questions on a survey, the number of responses you get will go down proportionately. This year we got just under 90% of the shooters to participate, which is good ... but if we start requiring more detail that will likely drop pretty dramatically. So there is a balance between the amount of detail we can ask and the number of people that will take the time to answer those questions.

Having said that, I do try to provide a little more context in the posts themselves. For example, I did say the most popular Wiebad bag was the Todd Tac-Pad in the shooting bag post. And I also said the most popular McMillan stocks are the A5 and the A1-3 (or the thumbhole stock like the KMW Sentinal Combat Stock) in the stocks post.

Once again, I hear what you're saying ... and I'd like all the exact model numbers too. I just wanted to explain the other side of that equation. It isn't that we just forgot to ask.

Thanks Calz. That makes a lot sense. I do appreciate you gathering the data, creating the blog and also the competitors that filled out the survey!

Todd Tac Pad, and I'm going to venture to say A5 McMillan.

Thank you for putting this together.

But what about the rear bag? The Todd Tac Pad is not used as a primary rear bag is it?

But what about the rear bag? The Todd Tac Pad is not used as a primary rear bag is it?

I myself and many others use it for everything, rear bag included. Like so.
20140126_094233_zps11d99dde.jpg

This is not what the bag was originally designed for, but works well as a rear bag. There is an option to have different mounting hardware put on the loop.

Last edited:
I myself and many others use it for everything, rear bag included. Like so.

This is not what the bag was originally designed for, but works well as a rear bag. There is an option to have different mounting hardware put on the loop.

Thanks for the info and picture. That helps.

Interesting information.

The data point that appears incongruous is the predominant choice of 6mm's for a tactical/"sniper" match.

Looking at it from my perspective of for hunting applications, and especially considering longer distances, these seem to be on the very weak side of power choices.

Are there any requirements in the matches to knock over steels at longer distances similar to silhueta matches?

There used to be, kinda - you had to have enough kinetic energy to knock over LaRues at distance. This last year there were not any auto resetting targets in the few matches I shot that I can remeber. Although a guy who I was squaded with 8 years ago took down a Larue at 750 yards by shooting it in the head with an 80 grain bullet in an AR-15.

Interesting information.

The data point that appears incongruous is the predominant choice of 6mm's for a tactical/"sniper" match.

Looking at it from my perspective of for hunting applications, and especially considering longer distances, these seem to be on the very weak side of power choices.

Are there any requirements in the matches to knock over steels at longer distances similar to silhueta matches?

You are not knocking down a moose but you do need to hit/flash or reset target which I think the 6 or 6.5 does well

Thanks for the information. I just shot out to my farthest using the JEC brake. I wasn't convinced that it was the right choice because I never hear it mentioned in posts. I see it rated the top brake used for 2013 in your data and it worked incredibly well for my developing skill set.

Really nice work, OP.

I am by no means a pro, but I'm about to take possession of a rifle that's been almost two years in the making. I'd heard that 7mm SAUM was making some inroads in the precision world, and that's the caliber I chose. I did get a Bartlein for it. I'm looking forward to shooting it.

Thanks for posting this, very interesting to see what the best use. One question though, what are the average distances at these PRS matches?

Thanks for posting this, very interesting to see what the best use. One question though, what are the average distances at these PRS matches?

There is no average distance. Each match is unique to the target size and distance, but you should be prepared to shoot from 10 yards to 1100 yards. Most points are inside of 800.

Between Wiebad and Str8 Laced bags they had 68% of the pros using their stuff! That will sure stick in my mind next time I'm in the market, it seems great PR doesn't actually make a better product, as some of the other competitors in the field spend a lot of time blowing their own horns! I too would like to know which bags.

Glad to see new data on this. One more thing I would also wonder about is what system the pros use to carry their gear. For example, do they use chest rigs, battle belts, packs with scabbards, packs w/o scabbards, etc.

34% of the shooters used Str8 Laced Gun Gear bag, which is the same amount as Wiebad. But where Wiebad has a lot of different bags (like the large, multipurpose tak-pad, and other speciality bags), Str8 Laced Gun Gear really only makes more traditional size rear bags. So that's the one your probably looking for. I personally bought their original rear bag after seeing 40% of the shooters used them last year. It's awesome. It is the ideal dimensions in my opinion for a rear bag and weighs just 6 ounces. I couldn't think of any thing I would do differently to improve upon it. But, I already have a Wiebad bag on the way and I'm looking forward to trying it out. I have a box full of others I've tried, so at some point I might do a review of all of them. For now, if it's just for use as a rear bag ... my Str8 Laced Gun Gear original size bag is head and shoulders over the rest I've tried.

Last edited: