• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Match Things that make you go hmmmm

The RSO/Spotters giving wind corrections to the shooters on the clock....

ETA: Should have clarified....not new shooters or somebody thats on their 4th shot and still off by 3 mils. I am all about that.
I am talking about mumbling under their breath to buddies of guys in the top third. And not doing it for everyone on the squad.

Last edited:
The RSO/Spotters giving wind corrections to the shooters on the clock....
Back before the PRS when rifle matches were for fun and to get better at shooting it was common not only for the RO and spotters to help the shooter with calls, but people in the squad (and we're not talking jerseys and "teams") would often help each other as well.

Back before the PRS when rifle matches were for fun and to get better at shooting it was common not only for the RO and spotters to help the shooter with calls, but people in the squad (and we're not talking jerseys and "teams") would often help each other as well.

That's still done many places at club level matches, usually when the shooter is a beginner or first timer and they're obviously having trouble correcting a bad wind call (meaning they've missed several shots in a row).

Last edited:
I'll start

1. Being handed a tourniquet with the course of fire.

2. Seeing fellow competitiors doning plate carriers in the parking lot of venue
i have no issues with either of these

1) its actually a nice thing to have. god forbid ever have to use it. but i keep one from a match in my shooting and hiking packs all the time because of it

2)practice like you play

i have no issues with either of these

1) its actually a nice thing to have. god forbid ever have to use it. but i keep one from a match in my shooting and hiking packs all the time because of it

2)practice like you play
Wait who hands out tourniquets? I thought he was joking?

I was at a match at K&M when it was in FLA and someone was shot there,

Early on, a handgun stage, draw on the buzzer, Competitor grazed his leg grabbing the trigger before removing the pistol from the holster completely, not bad, but enough.

That is what ended Handguns in a PRS event, poor safety and weapons handling

Early on, a handgun stage, draw on the buzzer, Competitor grazed his leg grabbing the trigger before removing the pistol from the holster completely, not bad, but enough.

I’d bet money it was a black hawk serpa

I have been 2 National matches where PRS had pistol included. The bulk of PRS shooters are not marksman the amount of atrocious pistol shooting was kind of embarrassing that some were wearing jerseys so they’re “big time” PRS guys was kind of funny.

Not saying all PRS dudes are bad some are good or even great but probably less than I expected.

Reactions: Steelcityprecision
I have been 2 National matches where PRS had pistol included. The bulk of PRS shooters are not marksman the amount of atrocious pistol shooting was kind of embarrassing that some were wearing jerseys so they’re “big time” PRS guys was kind of funny.

Not saying all PRS dudes are bad some are good or even great but probably less than I expected.
Airsoft may be a safer option for pistol stages?

the amount of atrocious pistol shooting was kind of embarrassing that some were wearing jerseys so they’re “big time” PRS guys was kind of funny.

You do realize that anyone can buy a jersey with a bunch of "sponsor" logos, right?

Get yourself one here: Match Jerseys | TechwearUSA

Also, not sure why being good with a rifle would make you assume same person is just as good with a pistol. Two completely different skills.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
You’ll wish they had given out tourniquets if it happens to be you.
Maybe not...tourniquets are very rarely useful for civilian penetrating trauma. They did indeed save a lot of lives due to the unique injury patterns in the GWOT, where you had highly effective body armor and IED injuries resulting in soldiers bleeding to death from extremity trauma until tourniquets returned to fashion. Most civilian penetrating trauma deaths are to the head or torso. I still carry a tourniquet in my range bag, but it's also VERY unlikely that I will see a situation where it would help.

The best option here is not to get shot in the first place and I agree we need to work on things in that regard at most matches outside of Rifles Only.

Maybe not...tourniquets are very rarely useful for civilian penetrating trauma. They did indeed save a lot of lives due to the unique injury patterns in the GWOT, where you had highly effective body armor and IED injuries resulting in soldiers bleeding to death from extremity trauma until tourniquets returned to fashion. Most civilian penetrating trauma deaths are to the head or torso. I still carry a tourniquet in my range bag, but it's also VERY unlikely that I will see a situation where it would help.

The best option here is not to get shot in the first place and I agree we need to work on things in that regard at most matches outside of Rifles Only.
I sat through a 4 day active threat conference where an entire day was dedicated to the exact thing. The amount of preventable civilian deaths caused by penetrating trauma to the extremities is extremely low. I was very surprised by the numbers

I sat through a 4 day active threat conference where an entire day was dedicated to the exact thing. The amount of preventable civilian deaths caused by penetrating trauma to the extremities is extremely low. I was very surprised by the numbers

But every tool on pistol-forum/lightfigther/random tactitard forum tells me I can't EDC without one.

You do realize that anyone can buy a jersey with a bunch of "sponsor" logos, right?

Get yourself one here: Match Jerseys | TechwearUSA

Also, not sure why being good with a rifle would make you assume same person is just as good with a pistol. Two completely different skills.
The fundamentals of marksmanship kind of apply to both. At least I thought so but whatever. I’m also literally wearing a jersey in that little picture there but you probably can’t see it.

Thanks for insights.

Me, at the first PRS match.

After 20+ years of successfully shooting IHMSA including earning the International class rating, my broken hand, arthritis and general aging has taken me out of this competition. Shooting Precision Rifles alleviates much of my shooting hand issues. (I don’t have to bear the weight of a six pound handgun with only my right arm resting against the side of my leg to support, all the while working with a 2.5oz trigger)

So, my son says that since I enjoy going to the ranges and ringing targets as far as 840 yards, shooting my own homemade scenarios against the clock, now owning two precision rifles...It is time, that I drag my 72 year old butt out to a match.

Damn @hic28 he's talking s* about you. Don’t worry dawg, you can still use me as an excuse. Cause I ain’t walking from stage to stage...
I’ve offered to give you a broomstick to work the peddles but I know you secretly just want a chauffeur.

how many 160lb deadlifts you think I do in one weekend of match shooting? Probably more effort than walking from stage to stage

Me, at the first PRS match.

After 20+ years of successfully shooting IHMSA including earning the International class rating, my broken hand, arthritis and general aging has taken me out of this competition. Shooting Precision Rifles alleviates much of my shooting hand issues. (I don’t have to bear the weight of a six pound handgun with only my right arm resting against the side of my leg to support, all the while working with a 2.5oz trigger)

So, my son says that since I enjoy going to the ranges and ringing targets as far as 840 yards, shooting my own homemade scenarios against the clock, now owning two precision rifles...It is time, that I drag my 72 year old butt out to a match.

Good for you sir. I am old , fat, slow and lazy. Longrange shooting checks all of my boxs.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
The day before our state F class 2020 tournament somebody shot themselves in the arm at the other end of the range in the pay by hour range crowd. Most of the F class guys watched the other side pretty closely after that.