• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Precision Rifle- Production or Custom in left hand action

Packfan

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2021
Reno, NV
New guy that has been lurking for a while, but never posted.

I searched and came up with a number of threads on this topic, but my options are more limited given the left hand requirement. Use will be shooting long range steel from bench and prone. I may also jump into a PRS match to try it out.

I am leaning towards 6.5 Creedmoor as I have another gun in this caliber and still have some ammunition on hand. (Getting thin though!) 6mm CM is a tougher call due to current ammo availability and barrel life.

I have narrowed it down to 3 options:
1. Masterpiece Arms PMR Pro- $2,500.00
2. Bad Rock South Fork- $2,000.00
3. Custom Bighorn Origin build on an MPA chassis- $2,800.00+

I am leaning towards the MPA as I can get one immediately- the are normally 16-18 weeks out. The Bad Rock is a 12 week wait, and no clue on the custom as actions and chassis are also in short supply.

The MPA is probably more gun than I need, but it also looks like a good value for what you get- really nothing else to add but scope and rings. Scope will be an existing Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 5-25-50 FFP MOA.

I am a little concerned about the weight of the MPA given the M24 barrel and comp chassis. The Bad Rock is a tad lighter (although they are now using an M24 profile.) On the custom I would probably spec a varmint/sendero contour.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Weight difference will be negligible.

Get the MPA. I'd take something that's 99. 7% of what I want today, as opposed to 100% in a year.

I personally like the extra weight from the heavier barrel. You get the benefit of a thick barrel without having to purchase a weight kit for balance.

If you have to hike in/out to your shooting spot the lighter contour may make sense.

The fact that the MPA is available now is big as I would be able to enjoy it this season versus waiting until the end of the summer. I have a Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 CM now. Even this seems heavy after years of packing around lighter weight hunting rifles. The focus was always less weight not more.

I don't anticipate hiking with it. Will be mainly shooting from prone or whatever PRS requires. I would guess shooting unsupported standing or kneeling/sitting may be more of a challenge though.

For your intended purpose the heavier weight is common.

I’m seeing a lot more 6 CM than 6.5, and cheaper. That may be regional? On a custom action barrel changes are pretty easy.

I think 6 CM is pretty prevalent here too. As well as the other 6mm flavors.

I would try 6mm, but the current ammo and reloading component shortage is a big concern. I have nothing in 6mm and even dies are almost impossible to find. I have 400 rounds of Hornady American Gunner 6.5 Creedmoor 140's and a couple of boxes of Hornady 6.5 CM 140 ELD-M's, so at least I can start shooting. I am out of powder, so reloads will have to wait.

I think I could go to 6mm with the next barrel? I believe the Curtis Axiom in the MPA will take a shouldered pre-fit barrel? Am I correct here? At least MPA has them listed for $565.00 on their site.

Yeah, get the mpa in 6.5 now. You’ll like it and can move to the more high performance 6 after the barrel is shot out.

You’ll need more ammo to shoot a barrel out either way so you might as well go with what’s in stock and get to shooting like you want to.
And even then, 40% of the rifles at a local match are gonna be 6.5 too, it’s not that much of a disadvantage.

I think 6 CM is pretty prevalent here too. As well as the other 6mm flavors.

I would try 6mm, but the current ammo and reloading component shortage is a big concern. I have nothing in 6mm and even dies are almost impossible to find. I have 400 rounds of Hornady American Gunner 6.5 Creedmoor 140's and a couple of boxes of Hornady 6.5 CM 140 ELD-M's, so at least I can start shooting. I am out of powder, so reloads will have to wait.

I think I could go to 6mm with the next barrel? I believe the Curtis Axiom in the MPA will take a shouldered pre-fit barrel? Am I correct here? At least MPA has them listed for $565.00 on their site.
Yes there are pre-fits available for the axiom.

Honestly, are there many PR matches lined up?

My order is in for the MPA PMR Pro and it will be here next week!

Next decision is rings that will work with my Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 5-25x50. I have some Seekins 30mm alloy rings that may fly. I will have to measure them as I am unsure of the height. I also have the option of swapping out the rings on my Bergara which are Badger steel 30mm medium height. Any other suggestions? Any idea on what height I may need?

As far as matches, I have nothing on the calendar yet. I would want to shoot the new rifle A BUNCH before even attempting one. The local club is having a long range practice tomorrow that I am going to try to check out. I wont have the new rifle yet, but I hope to learn about the matches there and hopefully meet a few of the people involved.

Regards.