• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision rifle weight

Travis224

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2010
Council Bluffs, Iowa
I'm going to start, I don't compete a ton with both rimfire and centerfire. I did just get a Rimx rifle out of the first run from Altus. I first ordered the proof stainless 20" heavy contour to start shooting. And while it shot pretty good with the cheap ammo I have, I thought it would shoot better. Also, I wanted something I could hunt with when I desired. (My setup hit 21lbs with the MPA comp folder chassis). So I went and ordered the 18" proof carbon barrel and stick it in a MPA Hybrid chassis. Shaved off 8 lbs roughly.

The question is, you guys who will be shooting Nrl22 matches, would you prefer weight for shooting stability, or a lighter faster transitioning rifle if accuracy is equal?

Reactions: jeronimo
If I had my ideal weight it would be between 12-13 pounds. Unfortunately for me to get it to balance in my chassis it's around 15-16lbs. That's a little rough on the offhand stages.

Reactions: Travis224
Personally I like my rifle having some weight to it. Both my match rifles are right at 18 lbs. that Said I’m not carrying those rifles around to hunt with. If that was the case the rifle would be right around 8-9 lbs.

Reactions: Travis224
Ideally I have 2 setups I can do, one really heavy, one lighter for hunting. Neither setups shoot any worse than the other..bug when it comes to certain stages, lighter weight COULD be better since the recoil isn't a cause to have a heavier rifle.

Anything under 10 pounds is a lightweight to me personally.
My 10/22 With a Tac-sol fluted sleeved barrel is 5.5 pounds scoped, I'm pretty sure my piston air rifle weighs more than that.
If you want to shave some weight but prefer a chassis see if you can find someone with an XLR carbon folder, it's not thier lightest but very confortable.
Thats what I have my 6.5x47 in with a medium Palma profile barrel finished at 24" and it is perfectly balanced.
I could check the weight but believe it is in the 14-15 pound range with the somewhat porky IOR 3-18X44 In badger rings.

Mine is a RimX, 20" Shilen (true) Heavy Palma contour, MPA BA Comp with front weight kit, S&B PMII 3x20, 15oz suppressor, CkyePod, and one mag....weighs 19lbs 2oz It took that CkyePod, front weight kit, heavier contour barrel and 1lb suppressor to get the rifle to balance. It's dead steady on a heavy fill game changer.

I'm guessing your rifle is extremely rear heavy

That MPA BA Comp seems to be about as rear heavy as my lightened up ACC. I removed .7 lbs off the rear of my ACC - swapped the standard steel buttplate with aluminum version. Stuck in 3 weights in the fore-end, added the ckye pod up front, and I need about another 1.5lbs if I want it to sit perfectly on the wiebad MFC on a sawhorse.

14.7lbs w/o the bipod. 16 w/ the bipod. Another 1.5lbs so 17.5lbs for perfect balance.

For offhand shooting though I drop all that stuff and I'm getting used to the 14.7-15lbs.

For my standard centerfire ACC, since it runs with an additional 1.2lbs in the rear, I'm guessing that will sit close to a 20-21 lb rifle.