• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision shooting from tripod

Zigjib

Private
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2014
G'day;
I've been practicing tripod shooting more recently.
When I was first taught tripod shooting, I was taught to setup the rifle/tripod by using the non-master arm as a spacer to get proper distance from the centre column for the firing position (big movements at the rear, tiny movements at the front and all that).
Once the sling was attached and tensioned though, the non-master hand wasn't used to add stability and was free to rest where-ever until it was needed for stoppages etc.
I got a little lazy here in that i'd have a spare mag sitting in my non-master hand ready to go for combat/tac reload. Works super well. We also did a minor 5° bend to index against the rifle.
I have been out of the current operational space for 2 years now because of injury and haven't kept up.
When I hit the range with some of my mates, they have all gone over to attaching the sling to the lower portion of the rifle, looping it under the tripod and connecting to their belt, and using their non-master hand on the tripod by turning their hand upside down and cocking the elbow so that it points out to the side/sky.
I gave it a go, and i hated it.
I couldn't get my arm comfortable at all. When I asked what the deal with it was, no one really knew, they were just doing as instructed (sky is purple and all).
Best i can tell, the elbow up, hand upside down thing is maybe mitigating recoil if you're leaning against your arm and pushing into the tripod but a lot of these guys had their hand on one of the rear tripod legs instead of the centre column as well?
I can't figure out what it's for or why shoot that way and it's insanely uncomfortable for me.
Can someone explain the theory behind it please?
I'll never be operational again but i don't want to fall behind and it was a bit of a soul crushing moment for me to realise that things have already changed so much and i was out of the loop.
Cheers guys
Carso

modern tripod shooting with a well balanced rifle = throw a gamechanger on top.

i've read your post like 5 times and am trying to figure out wtf they're doing and it just makes no sense to me

i rarely see anyone use a sling anymore unless they're in the ex-.mil camp (read stubborn and unwilling to adapt because 'they know better') or are super tacticool .mil wannabees

You lost me at “centre column and slings” when shooting from a tripod.
yeah that too.

mount the rifle at balance point (which is NOT at the magwell, or the front of the forearm, in most modern rifles). anything else is worthless

this thread is fairly recent

pretty sure frank had a show on it.

From a mil perspective, the school house and sections may or may not show clipping into the tripod. In our section, we all have carabiners on our belts or D-rings that we can hook into. However, that attachment is primarily for a drag bag during a low sniper crawl during a stalk. We will loop our sling around tripod sections and clip it into our belt, though when we are going to be on the gun for more than a few minutes observing while vegged up. It creates more anchor points and a mechanical advantage to save muscular strength. It doesn't always create a more steady position vs something like a sitting or prone position. I don't know if you have ever been standing or kneeling behind a rifle for a straight hour, but it gets very tiring. The sling attachment from the bottom center of the tripod, to your belt, allows you to sit back slightly and suck the gun into your shoulder using your body weight/gravity. A more hasty alternative is to wrap your sling around your weak arm, side leg of the tripod and use your offhand to grip and twist to pull the rifle down towards the tripod. This creates additional support and steadies your position by a large margin. It is fast and efficient.

Reactions: Zigjib
From a mil perspective, the school house and sections may or may not show clipping into the tripod. In our section, we all have carabiners on our belts or D-rings that we can hook into. However, that attachment is primarily for a drag bag during a low sniper crawl during a stalk. We will loop our sling around tripod sections and clip it into our belt, though when we are going to be on the gun for more than a few minutes observing while vegged up. It creates more anchor points and a mechanical advantage to save muscular strength. It doesn't always create a more steady position vs something like a sitting or prone position. I don't know if you have ever been standing or kneeling behind a rifle for a straight hour, but it gets very tiring. The sling attachment from the bottom center of the tripod, to your belt, allows you to sit back slightly and suck the gun into your shoulder using your body weight/gravity. A more hasty alternative is to wrap your sling around your weak arm, side leg of the tripod and use your offhand to grip and twist to pull the rifle down towards the tripod. This creates additional support and steadies your position by a large margin. It is fast and efficient.
Great until someone yells, "RPG!!!" and you can't dive to the floor because you are clipped in.
A delicate balance of security and mission demand.
Thanks for carrying the torch, Sir.

Reactions: crc1028 and Modoc
Ha! Yes, that is certainly true. However, if you are vegged up or in a hide and haven't noticed an rpg team near you, but they notice you... that's a much bigger problem considering you are the trained observer!
But you couldn't be more right. It has a time and place. And, ya, I'll say it, METT-TC 😒... I think in 3 years, I've been clipped in maybe a dozen times, and only when bent over on a tripod vegged up... waiting...

Thats good info mate, thankyou for that.
What about the upside down hand grip on the bipod? You guys use that?

Sometimes... Gripping the bipod for counterpressure can be necessary, but there is likely a more stable position to be in. It would not be my go-to move unless I had 0 time and was already in an awkward position. It's all going to be shooter and situation dependent. I've seen people get into some weird positions claiming that it improves their accuracy, though I feel way more unstable in it. You just have to try some things out and see how you like them depending on your flexibility and ability.

The key is to have as much bone support as possible, use as little muscle as possible throughout your shot process, get as low and as straight behind the gun as possible, and maintain a natural point of aim. Oh, and make sure your parallax is adjusted lol.