• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses Precision shooting schools near(ish) to Northern Va?

- Peacemakers has a few a month.
- Sean Little (Hogstooth) from Vaportrail tactical puts on a few in Culpeper.
- Not NOVA but Modern Sniper is putting had a class Nov 1-4 in Rocky Mount, VA.
- Bangsteel

Reactions: montagne
Looks like vapor trail tacticals class has already passed

Lots more opportunities local to you but oddly every time I attend a class at Sig sauer there seems to be some one from South of the MD line either lugging their gear up to New Hampshire or coming empty handed and letting Sig supply them with everything they could possibly need.

There are also a bevy of small time schools and independent instructors. SpecDive Tactical was pitching me on their long range class when I was picking up my can. I’ve never taken one of their classes, so I can’t speak to the quality.

Never took their class either but last I heard they put on a 2day course ($750) at Echo valley training center in WV.

Not really NoVa, but I believe Caylen W. is headed to Pigg River in Rocky Mount, VA in November to do a class. Ask him or Josh Bandy.

Reactions: Jonesing to shoot
Academi in Moyock, NC has a precision rifle course. It would be interesting just to tour that place.

Are they back doing civilian courses? At one time, they weren't. My buddy is head of the K9 training up there.

Are they back doing civilian courses? At one time, they weren't. My buddy is head of the K9 training up there.

Last I heard the various armorers courses were the only thing open to civilians (I've took the AR armorer's class a few years ago).

To the OP (@montagne ), Frontline Defense in NC might be a closer drive than you think. Paul is good people and a great instructor. The class I took there had a couple of students from NOVA and one from Baltimore.

Reactions: BravoXray
I'm a member at Peacemaker, but haven't taken any classes. They have a 1000 yard range but not sure if they use it for classes? In In my opinion, you are going to have to plan on a weekend somewhere. I live in Arlington, and just got back from the SH Precision Rifle class at Treadproof in Tn. . It was a 10 hour drive (11 back if you count the time change LOL), and it would have been worth driving another 6 hours. Spoke with some folks that have trained at Pig River, and heard nothing negative. I have also traveled to PA to Miffin County shooting range. We did use the 1000 yard range. I took a class with Spec Dive many years ago at Echo Valley. They only offered 300 yards then, and the instruction at the time wasn't that great. Frank and Marc are doing a class in PA next year, and there is a discussion in this forum you might want to check? The class they put on is hands down the best I have ever attended, and I would strongly recommend it

Reactions: Ruggedtouch
Starts today but maybe for future reference. They have open range days too. Great people and place.

Reactions: Caterpillardoc
I know this is a few months old, but please, do yourself a favor, and go take a class at Bangsteel. Dan is very laid back and so casual, that you just ease into the shooting, and the lesson just flows. No stress or pressure, just good old school guys out getting it done. Next thing you know, you are banging steel at 1k, and there is so much info flowing, so many aha moments. It’s pretty cool.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
I know this is a few months old, but please, do yourself a favor, and go take a class at Bangsteel. Dan is very laid back and so casual, that you just ease into the shooting, and the lesson just flows. No stress or pressure, just good old school guys out getting it done. Next thing you know, you are banging steel at 1k, and there is so much info flowing, so many aha moments. It’s pretty cool.
That’s interesting and good to hear. Have you taken any other classes? I’ve heard mixed reviews on their quality of instruction, especially regarding fundamentals.

I have not taken other classes. Bangsteel will tailor your class to you. I took a semi private lesson with another guy. Both of us were experienced shooters who had new rifles and needed to dial in and fine tune long range dope before the PRS season started, so that’s what we worked on Out to 1100 yds. As it warmed up the wind came up, so we worked on wind calls a lot then. I guess my point is that it was very casual and relaxed, no chest pounding, no “ I was a Navy Seal, Scout Sniper, Recon Beret” so you gotta do what I say, going on. Just a very knowledgeable instructor helping you with no stress or pressure and a lot of learning going on.

I would also add, im an experienced PRS shooters, with a good many 1 and 2 day matches under my belt, and I have Ro’d a lot of the same stuff, but currently I’ve slid back over to uspsa, because I don’t have a place to practice long range, and it’s hard competing with people who do. So, understand, Bangsteel is not a square range with berms and facilities and stuff. There is no classroom. You will be on one mountain ridge, shooting across a little valley into another mountain. The scenery is beautiful and the views never cease to amaze me. Like I said though, the knowledge will flow, soak up all that you can.