• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision stock upgrade for Ruger American

Yondering

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2017
Skagit Valley, WA
At the risk of sounding like a poor :LOL: I'm helping my son build a budget precision rifle on a Ruger American action. It's currently a 243 Win, but already picked up a Schneider 6mm 1:7 barrel from another member and will be making this a 6mm GT. He's only 15, so his budget is pretty low, but it'll be a good learning project with some gunsmithing/machining work and then some pride in working up his own loads and dope when we're done.

(It's not his first rifle and won't be his first intro to long range, he's been doing that and we don't need suggestions on breaking him in with a .22 or anything like that, but it's his first bolt action build.)

Anyway, point of the post is we're looking stock upgrade options. It won't be for PRS or any formal competition, just working on long range fundamentals up in the mountains; we have regular access to 900 yards and sometimes 1200+. Looking for a stock that's more rigid of course. I've been doing some research as well as a lot of reading and looking at pics here, but hoping some of you might have good suggestions. Current options we're considering are:

- Magpul Hunter stock; relatively inexpensive, and I'm happy enough with the one I have on a different rifle, but would prefer a more vertical grip.
- KRG Bravo; probably our best option right now, only thing I don't like is hearing the grip is really fat, although I've never used one. At $400-ish, this is about the top of our budget.
- MDT XRS; I like this one and it checks all the boxes except for budget. A little more than the kid can afford.

One that caught my eye yesterday was the Ruger Hawkeye long range tactical stock - it appears to be only a factory option, and only for the 77 action or rimfire, but the profile and basic functionality checks the boxes I'm looking for I think - nice straight forend and bottom of buttstock, vertical pistol grip, adjustable LOP and comb height. (Note, those adjustments don't need to be on the fly adjustable; removable spacers etc is fine.)
Do any of you know of a similar stock from an aftermarket company that looks like this for the RAR?

1.jpg

Reactions: FiremanBrad
Join the ruger groups or forums if you really want one. People routinely sell take-off stocks. I just dumped one off my Howa, that was impossible to find stand-alone.

Honestly, I have a feeling that you'll find that just about any other brand of chassis/stock will be higher quality than the ones supplied with ruger's budget offerings. They dont exactly aim to build $450 worth of value into a $500 rifle.

MSRP is $549.95, but you can get them for less. I have one and like it.

I have never used or even seen one of these chassis, but they are under your budget.
I just got one of these myself for my Howa, to use as a cheap hunting setup. Pretty sure it’s made by MDT. The shoulder pad even says MDT on it.

Hell of a deal for $270 OTD. Pretty decent honestly. Cheek rest uses clip on pads, so it’s not super adjustable but it comes with 4 different sizes so I’m sure you could make something work.

LOP uses MDT shims as well. Rear stock assembly is not replaceable like other Mdt products. I’d say this is a step below an oryx. Reminds me a lot of the chassis Savage comes with (also made by MDT)

Attachments

• IMG_7680.jpeg
    IMG_7680.jpeg
    643.8 KB · Views: 627
Reactions: MDT_Josh
I have never used or even seen one of these chassis, but they are under your budget.

Interesting find, thanks; I hadn't seen that. Looks a lot like MDT's LSS chassis but without the cheek rest adjustment. I think I want that, which is my main drawback on this one.
FWIW, DVOR (sister site to opticsplanet, except they actually have the items in stock) has this in black for $262 and FDE for $274.

The Oryx looks like a great option. Kinda heavy compared to the others; not sure if that'll matter a lot or not. We want this to be more of a "walking varminter" than "PRS competitor" type of setup. Maybe 10-14 lb range rather than 18-25 lb, as a rough estimate.

What do you guys think of the KRG Bravo? Yea or nay?

Reactions: AleksanderSuave
Interesting find, thanks; I hadn't seen that. Looks a lot like MDT's LSS chassis but without the cheek rest adjustment. I think I want that, which is my main drawback on this one.
FWIW, DVOR (sister site to opticsplanet, except they actually have the items in stock) has this in black for $262 and FDE for $274.

The Oryx looks like a great option. Kinda heavy compared to the others; not sure if that'll matter a lot or not. We want this to be more of a "walking varminter" than "PRS competitor" type of setup. Maybe 10-14 lb range rather than 18-25 lb, as a rough estimate.

I have two Bravos and like them, they do need a few sharp edges sanded or filed though. The fat grip isn't an issue for me with medium sized hands. Someone with very small hands is going to keep their thumb on the right to get a 90 degree finger on the trigger anyway.

You don't mention your son's size but something that can adjust to fit him as he grows is a huge plus in my book. The large amount of accessories KRG offers allows him to change or upgrade things as his needs and budget grow.

Reactions: XP1K and Yondering
I have two Bravos and like them, they do need a few sharp edges sanded or filed though. The fat grip isn't an issue for me with medium sized hands. Someone with very small hands is going to keep their thumb on the right to get a 90 degree finger on the trigger anyway.

You don't mention your son's size but something that can adjust to fit him as he grows is a huge plus in my book. The large amount of accessories KRG offers allows him to change or upgrade things as his needs and budget grow.

Thanks, appreciate the info (from everyone here - really).

Good point about my son's size, and it was definitely more of an issue when he first started shooting centerfires at about 10 - he was pretty short then. But at 15 now, he's already maybe 5'10"-ish and probably only has 2"-3" more to grow. He's still growing a little, but probably won't change that much more so I think the common LOP adjustments most of these options have will be sufficient, and he's already bigger than a number of grown adult men. We both have medium sized hands, so good to know the above about the Bravo.

I'll admit we're both leaning toward the Bravo vs the Oryx a little more partly because we just like how it looks a little more, but that may be because we haven't handled either one yet. I've been spending my time mostly with ARs for at least 10 years and haven't paid much attention to the bolt action world beyond using what I already have, so I'm a bit out of the loop on the latest and greatest gear.

Last edited:
Reactions: FiremanBrad
I prefer the XRS over the Bravo. I'm nit picking, they are both really good. XRS just feels a bit better to me.

Also helpful info. Do you have any more specific comments on what feels better about it? Is it easier to get behind prone, for example, or does it feel more heavy and solid, or ?? (I'm just guessing at possible examples)

I know a lot of people prefer heavier chassis because the weight implies being solid and rigid - is that the case here? Or, conversely, does the Bravo have sort of a polymer stock feel to it during recoil, with a bit of flex or vibration?

Thanks for the input.

Good point about my son's size, and it was definitely more of an issue when he first started shooting centerfires at about 10 - he was pretty short then. But at 15 now, he's already maybe 5'10"-ish and probably only has 2"-3" more to grow. He's still growing a little, but probably won't change that much more so I think the common LOP adjustments most of these options have will be sufficient, and he's already bigger than a number of grown adult men. We both have medium sized hands, so good to know the above about the Bravo.

I'll admit we're both leaning toward the Bravo vs the XLR a little more partly because we just like how it looks a little more, but that may be because we haven't handled either one yet. I've been spending my time mostly with ARs for at least 10 years and haven't paid much attention to the bolt action world beyond using what I already have, so I'm a bit out of the loop on the latest and greatest gear.

Looks vs feel? I go by feel as that usually equates to performance. The one thing I do not like about the XRS is the plastic cheek rise. I ordered a WeiBad pad for it and fixed. For the $$ I just prefer the XRS. If you can get behind both at a match, do it. Go with what feels better.

Looks vs feel? I go by feel as that usually equates to performance. The one thing I do not like about the XRS is the plastic cheek rise. I ordered a WeiBad pad for it and fixed. For the $$ I just prefer the XRS. If you can get behind both at a match, do it. Go with what feels better.

For sure, but since neither of us have actually felt either stock, we're left with what other people say, and how they look like they'd feel. I'm not a PRS match shooter so unlikely to come across one of these in the wild anytime soon.

I know anarchy outdoors has a couple of different options on stocks and chassis as well in that 4-500 range! I personally have a krg and love it! I would say I have medium sized hands and I have no issues with the palm swell for the grip!

Reactions: Yondering
I have had all three of them.
They all feel good in their own way.

My observations:

Bravo, fat grip and it feels like plastic. It is super adjustable and you can get a ton of accessories for it. With enough extra $$, it can become a Whskey 3. I added the adjustable butt so it can fit properly prone or bench.

XRS, I find is the most comfortable of the three. Comes with straight and angled grip. Nice adjustability. No complaints.

Oryx, very modular. A little heavy and for sure needs a bag rider. Cheek piece is very high even at its lowest setting. Interferes with cleaning.
Still a very good chassis.
Many different grips fit it.

Added verticle adjustable butt.

Like an idiot, I sold the XRS. I will buy another to replace it.

One thing they all have in common is the short forend. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them

Xrs.
Grip isn’t overly fat like the bravo and more comfortable to me.
It has arca built into it already unlike the bravo.
It’s longer up front by a couple inches than the bravo as well so you can leave a bipod on the front and still put it on a game changer easily without having it all bunched up unlike a bravo which requires a spigot to get the bipod equally as far forward to not be in the way.

So a spigot and a 419 arca rail for like 200 100 extra to have those that features on the bravo vs the xrs.

Magpul hunter sorta sucks. I just got a used one for under 200 with bottom metal to bed an old barreled action in that was just setting in the corner. I just simply don’t like it’s dimensions, the butt stock is so high relative to the barrel that I have to pinch my bags awkwardly hard to make enough height to shoot them on the bench with a bipod. I feel like it’s made for people that shoot exclusively off a lead sled, so fudds. It is really light weight through. Had to drill some holes and clip the internal plastic splines to mount an arca rail but it was easy.

Last edited:
@spife7980
Are you sure about the XRS having the ARCA?
I know the ACC has it built in, but I haven't seen it on the XRS.
The Hnt 26 has it as an option.

The sole reason I sold my XRS was the short forend that needed an extended ARCA to get the bipod forward. I replaced it with the ACC.

Did they change them since Jan 22?

Reactions: spife7980
At the risk of sounding like a poor :LOL: I'm helping my son build a budget precision rifle on a Ruger American action. It's currently a 243 Win, but already picked up a Schneider 6mm 1:7 barrel from another member and will be making this a 6mm GT. He's only 15, so his budget is pretty low, but it'll be a good learning project with some gunsmithing/machining work and then some pride in working up his own loads and dope when we're done.

(It's not his first rifle and won't be his first intro to long range, he's been doing that and we don't need suggestions on breaking him in with a .22 or anything like that, but it's his first bolt action build.)

Anyway, point of the post is we're looking stock upgrade options. It won't be for PRS or any formal competition, just working on long range fundamentals up in the mountains; we have regular access to 900 yards and sometimes 1200+. Looking for a stock that's more rigid of course. I've been doing some research as well as a lot of reading and looking at pics here, but hoping some of you might have good suggestions. Current options we're considering are:

- Magpul Hunter stock; relatively inexpensive, and I'm happy enough with the one I have on a different rifle, but would prefer a more vertical grip.
- KRG Bravo; probably our best option right now, only thing I don't like is hearing the grip is really fat, although I've never used one. At $400-ish, this is about the top of our budget.
- MDT XRS; I like this one and it checks all the boxes except for budget. A little more than the kid can afford.

One that caught my eye yesterday was the Ruger Hawkeye long range tactical stock - it appears to be only a factory option, and only for the 77 action or rimfire, but the profile and basic functionality checks the boxes I'm looking for I think - nice straight forend and bottom of buttstock, vertical pistol grip, adjustable LOP and comb height. (Note, those adjustments don't need to be on the fly adjustable; removable spacers etc is fine.)
Do any of you know of a similar stock from an aftermarket company that looks like this for the RAR?

1.jpg
Saw a Magpul hunter for the ruger American for cheap in the classifieds ;-)

Piggy backing on this a bit. Are there upgraded options out there for a ruger American 17 HMR? Model number #8336.

I’ve looked around a bit….no luck.

@spife7980

The sole reason I sold my XRS was the short forend that needed an extended ARCA to get the bipod forward. I replaced it with the ACC.

Shoot. I guess I have mixed that up. I know my original from the initial release period did not have arca nor spaces for the internal weights. So I had to get a new forend to make it heavier regardless, there were two options, the updated regular that allowed weights or the enclosed and so I went enclosed and it had the arca built into it. I could have sworn that the updated regular had arca as well but Im not finding any evidence to support that now.
My bad, I still liked the xrs with its old non internal weight accepting foreend more than the bravo that preceded it though.

The xrs normal is 12.5 forend length, the bravo is like 9 or 10 so a spigot is required to get it equally as far out as the xrs. The acc is like 4-5" longer still.

Last edited:
Also helpful info. Do you have any more specific comments on what feels better about it? Is it easier to get behind prone, for example, or does it feel more heavy and solid, or ?? (I'm just guessing at possible examples)

I know a lot of people prefer heavier chassis because the weight implies being solid and rigid - is that the case here? Or, conversely, does the Bravo have sort of a polymer stock feel to it during recoil, with a bit of flex or vibration?

Thanks for the input.
Its more comfortable to get behind for me. I like the shape and feel of the grip better. I like how you can put some cant on the cheek piece. Also, the forend is longer on the XRS. My main complaint about the Bravo is the short forend. Sure you can add the spigot, but then the price difference is becoming much less.

I found that dvor sale as well, about a week after I bought mine and posted about it in here lol.

It’s even a better deal at that price.

I would say it’s more like an Oryx than an LSS XL, but maybe this photo will help more?

You can see in my photo here:

Mdt Oryx
Trybe ROCS
MDT LSS XL Gen 2

Also take a look at the savage I mentioned:

The Trybe ROCS looks like the front end of the MDT savage chassis, and the rear end of the MDT oryx.

My Howa weighs in the Trybe weighs in at 9 lbs 11.5 oz, empty mag, as it sits. A smaller scope could probably shed that weight down when more. Ignore how the scope sits, it hasn’t been leveled yet, just sitting there to keep the rings from getting mixed up.

I personally tried a KRG Bravo, I prefer the feel of the MDT chassis with more aluminum than plastic, but these are subjective things.

I believe the mdt oryx weighs about a pound more than the krg bravo, with the Trybe right in between the 2 at something like 3.7 lbs so I guess that may be important to your overall build type, depending on the weight of the action and optics.

I prefer to use my own grip which made the bravo ultimately a non-option for me.

Attachments

• IMG_7906.jpeg
    IMG_7906.jpeg
    897.1 KB · Views: 1,176
@spife7980

The xrs is longer than the bravo, I have both. He may be comparing it to that.
The xrs may be shorter than the ACC? Don’t know since I don’t have that one.

XRS is substantially shorter than the ACC, up front. 12 inch fore-end vs 18/19 inches depending on if you're comparing to ACC Elite or ACC Premier.

In overall length, XRS makes up for it in the rear portion of the chassis, but still is on average 5.5" inches shorter than both ACC offerings.

I have all but the XRS on hand. The longest forend is the ACC. The shortest is the Bravo.
My Bravo has a spigot on front because without it, it's short and wobbly

Reactions: Shiftyk5
Shoot. I guess I have mixed that up. I know my original from the initial release period did not have arca nor spaces for the internal weights. So I had to get a new forend to make it heavier regardless, there were two options, the updated regular that allowed weights or the enclosed and so I went enclosed and it had the arca built into it. I could have sworn that the updated regular had arca as well but Im not finding any evidence to support that now.
My bad, I still liked the xrs with its old non internal weight accepting foreend more than the bravo that preceded it though.

The xrs normal is 12.5 forend length, the bravo is like 9 or 10 so a spigot is required to get it equally as far out as the xrs. The acc is like 4-5" longer still.
The new XRS line has weights available for them as well as an optional fore end that has a built in ARCA. I just added an arca to mine.

I hope MDT makes the Field stock for the Ruger American eventually. It looks like a great option for a budget build.
Ah man, if they did it’d be a no-brainer for this build, that’s pretty much exactly what we need.

It looks like everything the Magpul stock tries to be, but done right. I do have a Magpul on another American and it works well for what it is, but this seems better.

I’d get one for a 700 to try it but my only remaining 700 is a LA (a 35 Whelen, God’s cartridge 😄).

Lots of great info here, really appreciate all the responses.

It sounds like the XRS has the best reputation overall. I do prefer a long forend for something like this; good to know that the Bravo is short.

It looks like that Trybe chassis (MDT for the poors? 😄) has a long forend too, Aleksander’s pic above helps. I really like the stock on the XRS - but is it twice as good as the Trybe chassis? (About $540 vs $270, keep in mind this is for the kid to work on solid fundamentals, not a competition build.) We shoot mostly prone for long range if that helps, or sitting/standing supported, never at a bench.

MDT just released it recently. They said more inlets are to come. @MDT_Josh is the Ruger American inlet a possibility for the Field stock?

@MDT_Josh I hope you guys are considering the American inlet. As a test engineer I’ve learned to normally avoid first runs of anything but would make an exception for this one.

Lots of great info here, really appreciate all the responses.

It sounds like the XRS has the best reputation overall. I do prefer a long forend for something like this; good to know that the Bravo is short.

It looks like that Trybe chassis (MDT for the poors? 😄) has a long forend too, Aleksander’s pic above helps. I really like the stock on the XRS - but is it twice as good as the Trybe chassis? (About $540 vs $270, keep in mind this is for the kid to work on solid fundamentals, not a competition build.) We shoot mostly prone for long range if that helps, or sitting/standing supported, never at a bench.
If you’re looking for more of a traditional hunting stock, it sounds like you’d be happier with an XRS.

I found it about $120 cheaper here after doing some googling:

That’s before tax and shipping. Alternatively, you can check the hide marketplace for a used one, or wait for mdt’s Black Friday sale.

You’ve got options based on your timeline :)

Good luck and hopefully you and your son both enjoy the purchase.

If you’re looking for more of a traditional hunting stock, it sounds like you’d be happier with an XRS.

That’s before tax and shipping. Alternatively, you can check the hide marketplace for a used one, or wait for mdt’s Black Friday sale.

Thanks, good find. I may just go ahead and order that.

Don’t know much about this company but they have been getting good magazine reviews. The Heatseeker chassis

Sharps brothers Heatseeker chassis

Does not include the butt stock or grip.

View attachment 8206707

I was eyeballing that one too. It looks like it's pretty much the same basic chassis as the MDT LSS, or at least the same basic format, although the wood panels are pretty cool. My problem with both of them is that the ~$430 price tag is just the chassis itself, so by the time I add the rest of the parts it'll be more than just getting the XRS.

Last edited:
I have my 6cm American predator in an Indian Creek Designs chassis, works well, not the most rigid. KRG does the bravo, which is lighter than the XRS. So you'll need a thick barrel to balance the XRS, BUT it's a good Chassis. For a barrel, take a look at Urban Rifleman, he does barrel nut prefits for the ruger(and many others) They're Wilson blanks, but shoot fantastic and he does great work, lead time is about 3 weeks on an in stock blank. @padom has one his 6br nut prefits and it's a hammer, like better than 1/4 moa and stupid cheap.

I have my 6cm American predator in an Indian Creek Designs chassis, works well, not the most rigid. KRG does the bravo, which is lighter than the XRS. So you'll need a thick barrel to balance the XRS, BUT it's a good Chassis. For a barrel, take a look at Urban Rifleman, he does barrel nut prefits for the ruger(and many others) They're Wilson blanks, but shoot fantastic and he does great work, lead time is about 3 weeks on an in stock blank. @padom has one his 6br nut prefits and it's a hammer, like better than 1/4 moa and stupid cheap.

Thanks, that's a good source to know about for barrels.
I picked up a lightly used Schneider prefit (set up for a Rem 700, will require some lathe work to fit it to the American but that's part of the project) from a member here in the MTU profile, which should be plenty heavy enough. It's currently a 6 BRA but will get rechambered to either 6 GT or 6 Creed.

I found PatriotvalleyArms had (has?) a sale on their CDM barrel nut prefits too, $399 using Rock Creek blanks, so I picked up one of those in 6 GT, 1:7 twist, to try out. That kinda blows our budget out of the water but it's on my dime, not the kid's; I just want to see how these shoot.

MDT just released it recently. They said more inlets are to come. @MDT_Josh is the Ruger American inlet a possibility for the Field stock?
Ah man, if they did it’d be a no-brainer for this build, that’s pretty much exactly what we need.

It looks like everything the Magpul stock tries to be, but done right. I do have a Magpul on another American and it works well for what it is, but this seems better.

I’d get one for a 700 to try it but my only remaining 700 is a LA (a 35 Whelen, God’s cartridge 😄).
Loving the kind words here guys and girls and we appreciate your support!

I was actually the design lead on the Trybe Defense R.O.C.S chassis, so I know that system quite well and is kind of a hybrid of a few things, but almost an Oryx Lite as that is what the customer was requesting :) For $279 they are an insane deal.

As for the Ruger Field Stock, I can neither **CONFIRM** or deny, that there has been any work on them, or that they may be launching around the same time as a certain, large sale that we have once a year near turkey day. Seeing as I cannot publicly talk about these details, I would suggest saving a little longer and making a great purchase in the near-ish future!

The XRS is an excellent system too that offers a ton of modularity and customization, however, it is a little pricier and that is one of the reasons we're so excited that Field Stock is now available and coming for your favourite inlet soon ;)

- Josh

I'll admit we're both leaning toward the Bravo vs the Oryx a little more partly because we just like how it looks a little more, but that may be because we haven't handled either one yet. I've been spending my time mostly with ARs for at least 10 years and haven't paid much attention to the bolt action world beyond using what I already have, so I'm a bit out of the loop on the latest and greatest gear.
You can't go wrong with Bravo or Oryx. I have two of the Oryx. And the grip can be changed to a vertical grip, if that is preferred. Bravo looks little more like a hunter stock. Oryx has MLOK for accessories. And MDT just released bipods for Oryx. 95 each plus shipping.

Tried my best to get Brenda to let me put an MDT chassis on her ruger American. Key word though was “her”. She likes her guns. but she likes them they way they are.

Loving the kind words here guys and girls and we appreciate your support!

I was actually the design lead on the Trybe Defense R.O.C.S chassis, so I know that system quite well and is kind of a hybrid of a few things, but almost an Oryx Lite as that is what the customer was requesting :) For $279 they are an insane deal.

As for the Ruger Field Stock, I can neither **CONFIRM** or deny, that there has been any work on them, or that they may be launching around the same time as a certain, large sale that we have once a year near turkey day. Seeing as I cannot publicly talk about these details, I would suggest saving a little longer and making a great purchase in the near-ish future!

The XRS is an excellent system too that offers a ton of modularity and customization, however, it is a little pricier and that is one of the reasons we're so excited that Field Stock is now available and coming for your favourite inlet soon ;)

- Josh
I wouldn’t have sold my ruger American if I could have gotten an mdt field stock for it lol.

Please make one for the Howa mini inlet too.

The ruger american that I have has been rebarreled with a preferred barrel in 6 creedmoor and I wanted a better stock. I tried a magpul stock first and it was ok, not good but not terrible. I just replaced it with a krg bravo and its awesome. I have the enjoyment of being a lefty so I had to mod both stocks but its pretty easy to do. I would definitely buy a mdt for another ruger american build, a LH inlet would be awesome.

anyone ever order from tactical surplus usa?

seems like a great price, but what's the catch?

anyone ever order from tactical surplus usa?

seems like a great price, but what's the catch?

I ordered an XRS from them last Thursday and got it yesterday. No catch, just a surplus parts company. I’d never heard of them but did some research and saw good reviews So figured to give it a shot; I’ll order from them again.

Thought I'd follow up on this thread with pics of what my son and I came up with. I bought a lightly used MTU profile Schneider 6mm barrel (1:7) here on the hide that was previously set up for a Rem 700, re-threaded it to fit the American with a shouldered profile and chambered it in 6 GT. Made an experimental brake/suppressor mount for it too that turned out pretty well I think; it's hogged out of a 1.5" bar of 17-4 stainless and heat treated to H900.

We dropped it into the XRS chassis I mentioned above, bedded it (probably didn't need it, but I prefer to bed all my rifles) and topped it with a Burris XTR II. It ended up at 17.0 lb all in; plenty of weight there for what we need. I'm actually considering another lighter version too, now that MDT has their Field stock and I picked up a Sendero profile 6 GT PVA barrel; just need another American action to go with it.

I do like this XRS chassis, seems to be a pretty decent setup for the money with a lot of flexibility in what can be done with it. If anyone wonders about barrel diameters, it accommodated this MTU profile barrel (1.208" at the receiver on this one) with plenty of extra room in the barrel channel.
My next project with it will be to make a custom upper half for that Harris bipod (no offense to bipod snobs, but I've got no interest in spending $400-$800 on a bipod) that includes the pivot and attaches directly inside the front of the XRS handguard, so it'll eliminate all of the Harris parts from the pivot up, and put the pivot point immediately below the barrel.

My only complaint about the XRS chassis (@MDT_OFFICIAL if you're listening) is that the vertical grip option leaves a gap between the grip and trigger guard. Not a big deal, but very similar to the gap in the same spot on a lot of older AR15 rifles - just one of those minor quibbles that bugs me more than it should. I may switch back to that grip and just fill the gap with some RTV or epoxy, but it'd be nice to have it fit flush straight from MDT.

Also as a side note - as a machinist & gunsmith I do like working on the American action. It doesn't get a lot of love, but is fairly easy to work with once you have a tool to remove the factory smooth barrel nut. I can post some pics of the tools I used for it if anyone's interested. And for shouldered installations for thicker barrel shanks instead of a barrel nut, the flats on the receiver match up very well with the 1.208" shank on this MTU profile.
Anyway, a few pics:

Lojcpoeh.jpg

ZuRdvTFh.jpg

qDsc6I5h.jpg

Thought I'd follow up on this thread with pics of what my son and I came up with. I bought a lightly used MTU profile Schneider 6mm barrel (1:7) here on the hide that was previously set up for a Rem 700, re-threaded it to fit the American with a shouldered profile and chambered it in 6 GT. Made an experimental brake/suppressor mount for it too that turned out pretty well I think; it's hogged out of a 1.5" bar of 17-4 stainless and heat treated to H900.

We dropped it into the XRS chassis I mentioned above, bedded it (probably didn't need it, but I prefer to bed all my rifles) and topped it with a Burris XTR II. It ended up at 17.0 lb all in; plenty of weight there for what we need. I'm actually considering another lighter version too, now that MDT has their Field stock and I picked up a Sendero profile 6 GT PVA barrel; just need another American action to go with it.

I do like this XRS chassis, seems to be a pretty decent setup for the money with a lot of flexibility in what can be done with it. If anyone wonders about barrel diameters, it accommodated this MTU profile barrel (1.208" at the receiver on this one) with plenty of extra room in the barrel channel.
My next project with it will be to make a custom upper half for that Harris bipod (no offense to bipod snobs, but I've got no interest in spending $400-$800 on a bipod) that includes the pivot and attaches directly inside the front of the XRS handguard, so it'll eliminate all of the Harris parts from the pivot up, and put the pivot point immediately below the barrel.

My only complaint about the XRS chassis (@MDT_OFFICIAL if you're listening) is that the vertical grip option leaves a gap between the grip and trigger guard. Not a big deal, but very similar to the gap in the same spot on a lot of older AR15 rifles - just one of those minor quibbles that bugs me more than it should. I may switch back to that grip and just fill the gap with some RTV or epoxy, but it'd be nice to have it fit flush straight from MDT.

Also as a side note - as a machinist & gunsmith I do like working on the American action. It doesn't get a lot of love, but is fairly easy to work with once you have a tool to remove the factory smooth barrel nut. I can post some pics of the tools I used for it if anyone's interested. And for shouldered installations for thicker barrel shanks instead of a barrel nut, the flats on the receiver match up very well with the 1.208" shank on this MTU profile.
Anyway, a few pics:

Lojcpoeh.jpg

ZuRdvTFh.jpg

qDsc6I5h.jpg
Love how your build is coming together, and we are happy to hear you are enjoying it. We appreciate the feedback and I will make sure to pass it on to the team!

-Paige

Reactions: Chris W. and Modoc
Hi all. Have a buddy who just acquired a Ruger Ranch in .300 BO. He is only going to use it for 50 or so yard shots at night at a feeder where he needs some quieter discretion…..subsonics and a thermal scope. But even with a Bobro mount the Pulsar Trail sits a bit high for his eyes. The easy solution is a stacked pad or pool noodle and duct tape. But he is interested in knowing whether there is an aftermarket stock with an adjustable comb that will level the stock close to the scope rail height. Please advise if such a creature exists……Magpul looks promising but I don’t think the comb is quite high enough…..and I doubt he will drop more than $200-$300. Thanks!

Hi all. Have a buddy who just acquired a Ruger Ranch in .300 BO. He is only going to use it for 50 or so yard shots at night at a feeder where he needs some quieter discretion…..subsonics and a thermal scope. But even with a Bobro mount the Pulsar Trail sits a bit high for his eyes. The easy solution is a stacked pad or pool noodle and duct tape. But he is interested in knowing whether there is an aftermarket stock with an adjustable comb that will level the stock close to the scope rail height. Please advise if such a creature exists……Magpul looks promising but I don’t think the comb is quite high enough…..and I doubt he will drop more than $200-$300. Thanks!
Tha magpul doesn’t work well with ruger 223s and 30bo, you’ll need the mags with extended feed lips.

Get a triad tactical scope pack
IMG_0470.jpeg

Edit: for 50 yards I wouldn’t invest a penny into the rifle beyond the pack that can be moved to something else.

Last edited: