• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Precision Suppressors

wtmyers

UCG Precision
Supporter
Minuteman
May 24, 2018
Conroe, TX
In one of the "Everyday Sniper Podcast" Frank mentioned that a student of his was having trouble with his groups at the Alaska course. The cause was a poorly built suppressor. I think that I have run into a similar issue with my Silencer Co Hybrid. My MPA .338 Lapua - 300gn Bergers at 2720 ft/sec groups really well (0.3") with a muzzle break. I tried the same load with various seating depths with the suppressor and cannot come close to this group. I'm gonna try again with a borrowed Thunder Beast suppressor, but was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. My guess is that there may be too much turbulence caused by the .46 end-cap or poor barrel harmonics.

I always assumed a load worked up for unsuppressed would not always work for suppressed. you could very well work up a new load that shoots well with your suppressor.

all the weight on the end of your barrel changes everything

Reactions: Lunchbox27
I'm just saying, try that before you go thinking you have a "bad suppressor"

Absolutely.

The borrowed suppressor will be a quick and easy test and if that does not yield the results I'm looking for, then I plan on starting the load ladder from the beginning. I've just never run into this issue before with any of my platforms, however I've always used a suppressor that was fairly close in caliber size to the projectile.
I just happened to listen to that podcast episode and found it interesting and had never thought that it could possibly be the wrong suppressor not necessarily a bad one.

First thing to do when a can shoots poorly is the check the mounting method. If your shoulder is off a little although you might not be hitting the baffles or end cap you could be coming close enough to cause an issue. You shoulder could be off quite a bit and not have any issues with a brake since they are so short. Unfortunately bad shoulders / threads are not an uncommon issue.

Remember that with any suppressor, your “adding barrel length and FPS”, so as was already mentioned, you need to work up a load specifically for a suppressor

First thing to do when a can shoots poorly is the check the mounting method. If your shoulder is off a little although you might not be hitting the baffles or end cap you could be coming close enough to cause an issue. You shoulder could be off quite a bit and not have any issues with a brake since they are so short. Unfortunately bad shoulders / threads are not an uncommon issue.

Good Point. I sure hope I don't have to re-thread the barrel.

Remember that with any suppressor, your “adding barrel length and FPS”, so as was already mentioned, you need to work up a load specifically for a suppressor
True. This is the first time I have had such an issue. My other suppressors (all Thunder Beast) have needed only a slight seating depth adjustment and then have been right on the money. But your right, with the Hybrid I may be completely out of the sweet spot / velocity node.