• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Predator Custom Shop Rem. 300WM pix/range Update 2

ckruse

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2011
SW Missouri
Keep in mind I'm quite new at this, and on the days that I do something impressive it' usually short lived! Been working with a new build based on the PCS Omega II. Mine was chambered for the 190-220 range projectiles, whereas the original was optimized for the 240SMK. Here's a couple of shots of the rifle:
300WM-2.jpg

300WM-1.jpg

It was built by Bob Howard at Predator Custom shop. It features a new Remington 700 Police 300WM long action, 1:10 28" fluted AMU Rock barrel, PTG one piece fluted bolt/mini M16 extractor, Longrifles Inc. fluted bolt knob, Remington 40X trigger, Badger 20MOA base, Badger Max 50 rings, Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 MIL/MIL glass, Holland's Signature Series level, McRee Precision folding Chassis and stock pack, BlackHawk ergo grip, Harris SLM w/PodLoc, Predator Custom brake. I have five 5 round magazines, and 2 ten rounders- enought to melt a barrel in 1 sitting!
smile.gif
Here's a closeup of the brake:
100_3645.jpg

Sporting the County patch:
100_3644.jpg

The brake features a jam nut or sleeve that is turned with a spanner wrench. It allows you to index the brake for optimum effect and retaining your sight picture. It also came with a thread protector.

I made it out last Wednesday to do some load development, and had unusually good wind for my area. It wasn't still or perfect mind you, but it was better than the average day. I've been doing load development at 300 yards, it just seems to work better with this rifle. After shooting a couple of .5 MOA groups at 300, I moved out to 500 and shot these two back to back:
300WM5500.jpg

300WM5500-2.jpg

300WM5500-3.jpg

300WM5500-4.jpg

The high point of impact group measured right at 2.5", and the centered one right at 2.75". Although it's hard to tell in the spattered paint, they are both 5 shot groups. This was with a trial load with the 190 SMK/Hodgdon H1000. I have a big lot of 208 AMAX I'm hoping will do as good or better. I've been a Law Enforcement rifleman for over 15 years. It took getting into this long range stuff to find out how little I really knew about shooting a rifle!!
smile.gif

I also shot at 600 yds that same day with good (not great) results. I'll be working toward the thousand yard mark very soon. A big "Thank You" to all those who helped with this project, and all who share their knowledge with the rest of us. This stuff is truly ADDICTIVE! CKruse

Re: Predator Custom Shop Rem. 700 300WM pix/range

Very nice rifle and good shooting!! Looks like your going to have tons of fun in the near future
smile.gif

Bob does outstanding work. Nice shooting.

Just curious, why didn't you opt for the 240 chambering? The ballistics on that thing are incredible......it's a mini Lapua Magnum with much cheaper ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bob does outstanding work. Nice shooting.

Just curious, why didn't you opt for the 240 chamfering? The ballistics on that thing are incredible......it's a mini Lapua Magnum with much cheaper ammo. </div></div>
Thanks for the compliments, I'm starting to get a few things figured out! While the 240 SMK gives up scant little to the 338LM out to about 1500 yards, I felt it wasn't right for me. As for why I went with the chambering I did instead of the 240 SMK, several reasons:

1. No factory loading. We are issued .308's but my boss is open minded to the fact we might someday call some of our bigger options into use. The availability of a number of factory rounds in that range would facilitate that. Plus, you don't absolutely <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">have</span></span> to reload like you would with the 240 SMK.

2.I feel like the only place the 240 option would outshine the one I went with is beyond the 1500-1600 mark. My personal spot to shoot right now goes to 880 yards. I hope to open it up to 1000 this summer. No immediate plans to shoot beyond that.

3. Component cost. While it's much cheaper than the 338LM, you pay double for the 240 SMK. A box of 100 turns into a box of 50 at the same price. Using the 190-220 range, I usually pay in the high twenty to low thirty dollar range per hundred. The only additional cost over loading .308 is in powder use and brass price. In summation, it was just a better choice for <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">me</span></span>.
smile.gif
CKruse

Great looking rifle. Nice brake, looks very sleek.
cool.gif

Regards, Paul.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ckruse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bob does outstanding work. Nice shooting.

Just curious, why didn't you opt for the 240 chamfering? The ballistics on that thing are incredible......it's a mini Lapua Magnum with much cheaper ammo. </div></div>
Thanks for the compliments, I'm starting to get a few things figured out! While the 240 SMK gives up scant little to the 338LM out to about 1500 yards, I felt it wasn't right for me. As for why I went with the chambering I did instead of the 240 SMK, several reasons:

1. No factory loading. We are issued .308's but my boss is open minded to the fact we might someday call some of our bigger options into use. The availability of a number of factory rounds in that range would facilitate that. Plus, you don't absolutely <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">have</span></span> to reload like you would with the 240 SMK.

2.I feel like the only place the 240 option would outshine the one I went with is beyond the 1500-1600 mark. My personal spot to shoot right now goes to 880 yards. I hope to open it up to 1000 this summer. No immediate plans to shoot beyond that.

3. Component cost. While it's much cheaper than the 338LM, you pay double for the 240 SMK. A box of 100 turns into a box of 50 at the same price. Using the 190-220 range, I usually pay in the high twenty to low thirty dollar range per hundred. The only additional cost over loading .308 is in powder use and brass price. In summation, it was just a better choice for <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">me</span></span>.
smile.gif
CKruse </div></div>

I got ya....makes sense.

I meant to mention I'm using a Big Dog Steel target with the T post bracket. Super easy set up with little to no impact to the property. I shot a .308 yesterday, and back to the .300 today. Man what a difference in how the magnum rings the steel!
smile.gif
CKruse

You are going to get a nice ding-impact at 1000y with a 300WM.

05/01/2012 Update: I've been working slowly toward the 1000 yard mark. Last week I shot my first half-mile(880 yd.) shots. My group looked a lot more like a shotgun pattern, due in part to gusting winds, and I'm sure a good deal of operator input!
smile.gif
But, I did have 13 rounds on target, and only 3 off.

Yesterday I finished my shift and noticed a nearly complete lack of wind. I asked my 15 year old daughter to spot for me, and we headed to the prairie. My thinking was to back up to around 800 yards, verify my dope, and try to tighten things up a bit. By the time we got over there, the south wind had woken up just a bit, but still very good considering the norm. We set up at 820 yards. My first group was high and left, but was the size of a tennis ball. Here again, bear with a new guy as he gets a little excited!
smile.gif

5820yds.jpg

My daughter is getting better and better at spotting the vapor trail, and enjoys helping dad out. She is also an accomplished hunter and shooter for someone her age.

I'm still shooting the 190 SMK in front of H1000 and it averages right at 3030 FPS. No signs of pressure, a pretty mild load that's performing well out of the 28" Rock tube. I'm loving my McCree Chassis, and have made a few minor adjustments as I've went along, resulting in a perfect fit! Thanks Scott! Round count as of today is 270. Thanks for looking, CKruse

+1..... For Pedator Customs.
I have 2 builds, all are shooters!

Good shooting.

SNIPER-2

05/08/12 Another update. Thanks for those that have stopped by, and especially those that have posted. Here's to all of us that have shot out of the back of the truck to get above the hay:
100_3672.jpg

And those that have gone that one better by rolling all the windows down to make it catch less wind!
100_3678.jpg

In hopes of hitting that distant little white dot sitting above those two squares in the center of the gap 1000 yards away:
100_3673.jpg

Big shit-eating grins will certainly ensue!
smile.gif

100_3685.jpg

I'm shooting due east, had a north wind steady at 4-5 mph, occasionally gusting to 10, and every so often dropping out completely. Didn't have a spotter today. I shot this at 900:
10900yd.jpg

I felt pretty good about those, moved back to 1000 for my first time ever. I shot 10 rounds and was a click too high. I should have got a picture of a pretty nice group sitting right at the base of the neck! Moved a click down and shot 10 more. 9 hit paydirt, I pitched one off. I know that to many here, this is no big deal. I can't help but think there's a lot of guys like me who were only dreaming of doing this a few months ago. Thanks again for reading my post.
smile.gif
CKruse

100_3682.jpg

Thats fine shooting in anybody's book.

Most people that say they get on steel with every shot at 1000 couldnt even find the target in their scope at a true 1000.

Good job. My next build from Bob will be in .300 WM as well.

Thanks for the positive comments. I've really come to enjoy the firm "shove" I get when I pull the trigger, seeing the target flinch behind a spray of paint and lead fragments, then hearing that clank! Time to start buying H1000 and SMK's by the truckload!
smile.gif
CKruse

++++++1 for Predator Custom. Jim and team have done well over a dozen barrels for me to include my persoanl AR 10 and all have been TAC Drivers