• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Predictions......?

NH4X

Master Of Sparks
Minuteman
May 19, 2020
Out of curiosity I'm about to test 215m primers against known loads with 210m primers.

Predictions ?

More fps with same load as 210m s ? The same fps ? Reach max load with less powder with 215m s. E.S better,worse ,or about the same.?

6 cm , Nosler brass 8th firing not annealed , SuperF 42.0 to max (to be determined) ,115 DTAC coated ",on lands " ( 43.0 is max with 210m @ 2950fps ave.)

Speak now or forever hold yo peace
Will report findings ,when I have them

I predict you're going to get a lot of shit over wasting that 215M Unicorn and very coveted primer on a case that holds less than 50 grs. of powder.
It won't be a "Snipers Hide not enough data test ". Probably 15 shots or less . Having checked inventory, I'm going to have to sub 115 VLDs for 115 DTAC Another reason for test is ,although not real low on 210m and others ,if 215m closes up E.S. with SuperF imma gonna be happy, Groups good but E.S. is higher than I care for.......sometimes.........Maybe " loader" is the cause ,never claim to be perfect.

It won't be a "Snipers Hide not enough data test ". Probably 15 shots or less . Having checked inventory, I'm going to have to sub 115 VLDs for 115 DTAC Another reason for test is ,although not real low on 210m and others ,if 215m closes up E.S. with SuperF imma gonna be happy, Groups good but E.S. is higher than I care for.......sometimes.........Maybe " loader" is the cause ,never claim to be perfect.

What’s your ES?

Also realize ES is a direct function of SD.

I.E. if you have two loads and both have a 5sd, but one has a smaller ES….that’s just a product of insufficient data.

By knowing the SD, you know pretty much exactly what the ES is going to be, not the other way around (if your SD is the actual long term SD).

And then you can use a 95% confidence interval with the amount of shots used for your SD and get an idea what area your SD really falls in.

Cliff notes: ES is all but worthless compared to SD for our purposes. But most don’t understand how to properly use the SD your chrono spits out and opt to use ES incorrectly.

Last edited:
As @FLIGHT762 mentions, you're not going to find anything groundbreaking, especially staying with the same manufacturer. Magnum primers are overkill in a small round like a 6 CM. I don't even use them in my 300 PRC - I found the BR2s to be more consistent overall and they fire fine.

Additionally, if you're not annealing and you're 8 loads in, inconsistency in the brass will likely overshadow any minor gains you might see in a primer.

If you want to improve your round-to-round consistency, get some better brass (Lapua) and reassess your reloading process, including annealing.

Reactions: camocorvette
Prediction:
It’s going to increase velocity by 20-30 fps and SD will increase by 20%.

So, you're now changing bullets, primer, and charge weight? And only testing 15 rounds to draw a conclusion?

Reactions: jakelly
Cliff notes: ES is all but worthless compared to SD for our purposes. But most don’t understand how to properly use the SD your chrono spits out and opt to use ES incorrectly.

Pretty much this. Most people don't realize that SD will normalize with higher round count, while ES will go up until it reaches its theoretical maximum.

To exemplify your point, I randomized a fictitious 350 round count around 2900 fps +/-10 and calculated a 5.7 SD and a 19.9 ES. If I change the last two values to 2875 and 2925, that yields a 50 fps ES!!! OMG that's so high! This fictitious ammo sucks!!! This because two rounds were a little lower and a little higher than the other 348.

The SD only goes up to 6.1. This tells you what you need to know: the majority of rounds will be in a small regime.

So, you're now changing bullets, primer, and charge weight? And only testing 15 rounds to draw a conclusion?

Nope... Just primer change right now........but running low on DTAC

Want to compare known numbers against nothing but different primers. This is from boredom....,to see what numbers show up....that's all.

Not drawing conclusions from anything