• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Prefer cant in your base our your mount?

gl51virus

Private
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2011
Lake Charles, LA
Going out to 1000 yds with a .308. Would you prefer 20 MOA cant in your base our in your mount (such as a Larue one piece)?

Re: Prefer cant in your base our your mount?

It depends on the scope that you choose. With a NF 3.5-15 you probably won't need an angled base.

lucky dog you. that is my next scope puchase. got lots of adjustment there

I think you've got 100 MOA on a 5.5-22NF, so you could probably get away with a zero base on that scope, too. I like a -20 base, though, as it keeps the internals from getting too near its limits of travel.

It's pretty much same-same, though an angled base can often end up with a lower overall mount, that's a big plus. Do you need any slope at all? That depends on the scope and how square the bore is to the base. With that NF, it's not very likely that you actually NEED any, but a 20 MOA base would give you options down the road if you moved that to another rifle.

I have Leupolds and Nightforces(5.5-22). Each have enough verticle to reach 1000yds with a straight base. I have heard but can't confirm that a 20min base is preferable to keep the controls centered in the tube. Net /net I believe you can make straight base work so long as the scope has close to 100" of adjustment

I'd prefer to keep the travel in the base because that gives you flexibility as to caliber requirements. You may want a 30 or 40 MOA base for ELR shooting with X caliber, but would prevent Y caliber from being zeroed at 100 yards. A person could go 20 on a base and 20 on the mount. If its in the base, it could always be there for whichever scope you plant to put on it.

I chose a 20 MOA base and low rings. Since my scope as a 10 mil over hold I won't have a ton of dialing to do. A 20 MOA base does help if I wanted to dial all my shots tho, vice over hold

I always choose to set the amount of cant with the base just to ensure my scope and ring options are left flexible.