• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Preference on cleaning patches

Bayou1535

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2011
MW
Whats everyone's preference on cleaning patches? I usually use old t-shirts but I'm gonna order a bunch to organize a little better. The ones I'm looking at are Bore Tech, Butches, Montana extreme and pro shot.

Re: Preference on cleaning patches

I prefer Butches...very high quality patches compared to cut up t-shirts.

BnC

The cut up t-shirts I mainly use for BP's and pistols and was looking for something for the rifles.

Go to a local garage sale and buy a bunch of cotton bed sheets. 50 cents a piece, wash them really good, and cut them up. Just as good as anything else you will buy except for them being that much cheaper. Pennies on the dollar.

Butch's triple twill and pro shot are my favorites. Bore tech patches and dewey fray to much. Midway runs sales often on the butch's triple twill patches. You'll love them. Very strong with no fraying or pushing your jag through them.

I use Brownells' square thirty cal for everything. Trim as needed.

Cotton Flannel for sure. Just be sure to keep them sterile as the flannel loves to pick up dust/lint/funk and that could turn a patch into a lap.

large military cotton flannel rolls_ cutted to fit inside 35mm.photo rolls cylindrical plastic boxes,or uncutted inside a large square box,closed lid,but with a thin front cut to allow extraction and cutting of the needed portion_

These triangle shaped patches are the best Ive ever used. The guy who makes them sold them out of the gun shop I was working at. He always gave me bags to use on customers guns. Now Im on an overseas contract doing small arms repair for the Army and he send them to me as I need them. The soldiers seem to really like them too.

http://store.rigelproducts.com/section5.html

I like Southern Bloomer brand. Holds solvent and oil very well, absobs quick, no loose threads,and has a tight tough weave. Tight enough you have to push like you mean it on a sharp jag. And probably cheaper than average.

Agreed on the Butches and Midway. $18.99 regular. On sale some times for $8.99.

I bought enough of the pro shots to get me through but 8.99 would be a nice deal for the butches. I will order some if I catch them on sale.

I use brownells round patches for years now and really likes them they absorb the fluids real well and my jag never penetrated through them