• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Preferred Mfg'd 6.5 Creedmoor ammo.

Preferred Mfg'd 6.5 Creedmoor ammo.

• Hornady Superformance 129 Grain SST

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hornady Superformance 120 Grain GMX

• Nosler Match Grade 140 Grain Custom Competition HPBT

• Total voters

FOHA1

Special
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2014
Talking mid-long range target shooting. Not really concerned with bullet expansion or wound channels, but what works best with your 6.5 Creedmoor gun at distance 800-1000yd+.

Please post basic specs on rifle. Barrel length, twist, and brake type or not.

New Creedmoor shooter here looking for expanded data. I've got a variety of ammo on the way and I'll find out what works best with my gun, but curious to see if there is a common ammo that is working better than the rest.

If you check other, please specify (if other than handloads).

The Hornady 140gr is the most common but since I have tried the Winchester 140gr ammo, it has shown to be more accurate and consistant(velocity)in my Savage CIB. With the costs being about the same, I have more cases of the Win than Hornady now.

However, I'm not sure how the Win brass will hold up for reloads..

I've seen reports that "Win" 6.5 Creedmoor brass looks the same and weighs the same as Hornady brass...also that the 140gr Match load it shows a BC of 0.580, which likely makes it NOT a 140gr SMK but rather a 140gr Hornady HPBT...?

I've just started into the 6.5 Creedmoor, but I recently got a case of Hornady 140gr A-Max lot# 3141278 from Midway, and three 5-shot groups were all easily sub-MOA.

Last edited:
Using the Nikon SPOT program it shows the Hornady 120g AMAX dropping only about 4-5" less that the 140g AMAX at 960yds.

Edit; Tried to upload the trajectory chart.

Attachments

• Creedmoor traj.jpg
    Creedmoor traj.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I checked other because I predominantly use hand loads.
However, the Hornady 140Amax shot well.
You might have also forgot about Copper Creek - they seem to produce some good ammo for the Creedmoor (both 6.5mm and 6mm).
6.5mm Creedmoor

The hornady 140 and 120 factory loads are all sub-MOA in my rifles. My handloads easily cut those groups in half though.

Factory hornady 140 amax have dropped more south Texas ( at least for me) , all deer weighed over 150 PDs , and an elk as well.
Shot placement is key though!!!