• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Preferred Middle-Upper Tier Optics

zaprosper

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 10, 2020
Looking at upgrading the scope on my 6mm Creedmoor target rifle. I don't shoot competitions, mainly target and steel shooting from a variety of positions. Currently have an Optika 6 5-30 that is a nice scope, but is going to end up on my wife's target rifle.

Features that I hope to see an improvement on are depth of field and size of eyebox. Resolution and clarity are both pretty goodin the Meopta, but I would imagine all of the scopes I'm looking at would be a step up.
The scopes I have narrowed it down to due to availability and pricing include:
Bushnell XRS2
Burris XTR3 5.5-30
Delta Stryker HD 4.5-30
Tract Toric 4.5-30
Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29

Given the use, what would people recommend? Has anybody had a chance to compare some of these against each other? I was leaning towards the XRS2 as my hunting scopes do consist of LRTS and LRHS scopes and I have heard good things about it.

I love my Athlon Cronus BTR. Optics wise it compares to my NF ATACR

Unfortunately I haven’t used the others on your list but have heard great things about all of them so I’m tagging in to see the results

Reactions: zaprosper
I love my Athlon Cronus BTR. Optics wise it compares to my NF ATACR

Unfortunately I haven’t used the others on your list but have heard great things about all of them so I’m tagging in to see the results
I would imagine the Athlon, Delta and Tract are very similar for obvious reasons, but I'm curious if there are eyebox and depth of field difference between them. Also wonder how the other 2 stack up. Was leaning towards the Burris based on other feedback, but it is also the most expensive.

Not really an option. Used PM2 goes for twice the price of some of these other scopes in Canada. If I was looking at that price, I would also look at other options.

Reactions: YotaEer
Of course. Would probably be second to the top of the list. Right under the IOR Valdada. YouTube reviews tell me they are the King of Optics

I've never seen a Delta Stryker in the wild. I like the XRS2, I think that's a very good option, they are often boringly reliable. I like the Bushnell stuff.

The XTR3 has a very forgiving eyebox and depth of view, as many people have posted, so you don't have to take my word for it. It also has a greater FOV than your other choices.

I like glass in the Cronus, the eyebox seems decent enough. I've never found one with turrets I liked, but that's a personal preference.

The Tract takes last place out of these choices for me. The eyebox is definitely tighter, looking through it seems "tunnel'ish" to me, versus what I'm accustomed to.

4 out of 5 of these scopes are made by LOW in Japan. So they all have some decent qualities to them. The XTR3 has glass from Japan, the rest of it is made in Greeley Colorado.

I have an older Busnell dmr and it does exactly what it's supposed to do. Dials up and down exactly where it should and returns to zero. I need an upper level monkey though.

Reactions: Luke_Y
Just FYI, midway is running a special on the XRSII for $1,400 for the illuminated model and I think $1,300 for non-illuminated. and it comes with a $200 gift Card for either model.

I've never seen a Delta Stryker in the wild. I like the XRS2, I think that's a very good option, they are often boringly reliable. I like the Bushnell stuff.

The XTR3 has a very forgiving eyebox and depth of view, as many people have posted, so you don't have to take my word for it. It also has a greater FOV than your other choices.

I like glass in the Cronus, the eyebox seems decent enough. I've never found one with turrets I liked, but that's a personal preference.

The Tract takes last place out of these choices for me. The eyebox is definitely tighter, looking through it seems "tunnel'ish" to me, versus what I'm accustomed to.

4 out of 5 of these scopes are made by LOW in Japan. So they all have some decent qualities to them. The XTR3 has glass from Japan, the rest of it is made in Greeley Colorado.

I haven't seen too many Delta Stryker around either, but heard good things and a used one for sale in Canada.
Good to know about the XTR3. Sounds like it checks on most of the upgrades I am looking for and a larger field of view is always good to have. It will also likely be the most expensive scope of the bunch. It's too bad they don't have illumination yet either.
What didn't you like about the turrets in the Cronus?

I’ve never messed with an xtrIII (probably should).

With that caveat, with a sub $2k budget, I don’t really know why the conversation goes further than a used razor gen 2.

It’s proven and a tank.
I would agree with you, if the prices up here coincided with the prices in the land of Freedom. The Gen 2 retails at 3000 and holds price well on the used market. Delta Stryker is available for 1500 used, XRS2 for 2000, Cronus runs closer to 2400 new and Tract is around the same with exchange. That's the main reason I don't have it on the list. At the price of a new Razor, a couple people have used Minox ZP5, but my wife might divorce me if I buy one.

I would agree with you, if the prices up here coincided with the prices in the land of Freedom. The Gen 2 retails at 3000 and holds price well on the used market. Delta Stryker is available for 1500 used, XRS2 for 2000, Cronus runs closer to 2400 new and Tract is around the same with exchange. That's the main reason I don't have it on the list. At the price of a new Razor, a couple people have used Minox ZP5, but my wife might divorce me if I buy one.

Is it not possible to buy a used razor through the PX here and have it shipped into Canada? (I honestly have zero knowledge of this).

I haven't seen too many Delta Stryker around either, but heard good things and a used one for sale in Canada.
Good to know about the XTR3. Sounds like it checks on most of the upgrades I am looking for and a larger field of view is always good to have. It will also likely be the most expensive scope of the bunch. It's too bad they don't have illumination yet either.
What didn't you like about the turrets in the Cronus?

Two things I've had issues with in the Cronus turrets. They were either mushy with very little tactile feel. Or something else not even close. Inconsistency seems odd. You would think they would also at least be somewhat similar.

At one point I had 6 or 7 different XTRIIs. Every turret was nearly identical in feel. I may be wrong, but the QC consistency seems important to me.

The XRS II has a great eyebox, it gets tighter at the higher end of course, but still very good. Glass is awesome, tracking is very reliable. Brantley took one out of the box and won KO2M with it. I'd suggest grabbing one from Midway while you can. You probably won't be able to get something made by LOW with that level of glass and build for that price.

I
Is it not possible to buy a used razor through the PX here and have it shipped into Canada? (I honestly have zero knowledge of this).
I wish. I would be buying shit on here all the time if it was possible. Or buying from Doug at Cameraland with some of the deals he has.
Due to ITAR regulations, they have heavy restrictions on exports for "national security" and unfortunately that includes riflescopes. You can get scopes exported, but you need to go through an FFL with authorization to export. I have done it once before, but it is quite the hassle, time consuming and a lengthy process. That process also adds to the cost.
You can always risk not getting caught, but I don't want to risk a pricey scope getting confiscated.

• Sad
Reactions: Dthomas3523

You mentioned the ZP5, have you seen they came out with a Minox LR 5-25 that’s just under 2k new? From reviews I’ve seen it shares many features with the ZP5. Maybe worth a look for you anyway.

You mentioned the ZP5, have you seen they came out with a Minox LR 5-25 that’s just under 2k new? From reviews I’ve seen it shares many features with the ZP5. Maybe worth a look for you anyway.
To add to this, I’m up in Canada and will sell you one new in box for $2500. $2850 with a 20moa Spuhr mount. I find the scope too long for my needs and want to sell it.

I have both Cronus BTR and the XRS2 great scopes. I really like the floating cross hair reticle on the Cronus BTR, . I have no complaints at all with my XRS2, it’s glass is VERY clear.

I have both Cronus BTR and the XRS2 great scopes. I really like the floating cross hair reticle on the Cronus BTR, . I have no complaints at all with my XRS2, it’s glass is VERY clear.
Taking reticle out of the equation(is always a preference thing) how do they compare in regards to eyebox, depth of field, etc.

Taking reticle out of the equation(is always a preference thing) how do they compare in regards to eyebox, depth of field, etc.
I feel very comfortable with the eyebox on the Cronus BTR and is very forgiving, I slightly prefer the Cronus at high magnification where a larger objective helps illumination in most Athlon scopes is second to non. I like the magnification lever on the XRS and locking windage.

Usually go shopping in Montana every summer, but we can't right now due to the virus...
Yea man i hear ya. We head up to BC a few times a year to catch a hockey game and explore but no dice since they closed down the boarder this year.

Looking at some Elk/Bear hunting outfitters up there now.

Reactions: zaprosper

Given these prices, I'd go for the Stryker.

ILya

I"ve tried 4 or 5 of the 300 - 600 $$ scopes. All but the Sniper has a pitiful parallax adjustment ring focus. They won't focus past 100 or so yds. Or is it just me? Cyclops never goes over the paralax features in any detail on his U-Tube critiques. I think this is the most important feature. No fucus means you can't see clearly the target. Any comments? Thanks in advance.

I"ve tried 4 or 5 of the 300 - 600 $$ scopes. All but the Sniper has a pitiful parallax adjustment ring focus. They won't focus past 100 or so yds. Or is it just me? Cyclops never goes over the paralax features in any detail on his U-Tube critiques. I think this is the most important feature. No fucus means you can't see clearly the target. Any comments? Thanks in advance.

Which exact scopes are these? If adjustable parallax scopes do not focus past 100 yards for you, that means you are either very good in picking out bad scopes or your eyepiece is not adjusted properly.

ILya

Reactions: silentheart
For target shooting look at sightron. Great glass, and they're finally catching up with the rest of the features.

I've got a fair bit of time behind the xtr 3 and cronus. Xtr 3 easily.

I’ve never messed with an xtrIII (probably should).

With that caveat, with a sub $2k budget, I don’t really know why the conversation goes further than a used razor gen 2.

It’s proven and a tank.
Or a new one.... last year they could be had for 1650 at thanksgiving

Which exact scopes are these? If adjustable parallax scopes do not focus past 100 yards for you, that means you are either very good in picking out bad scopes or your eyepiece is not adjusted properly.

ILya
Anthlon Halos Rtr 8X34; Vortex Diamondback Tact. 6X24X50 FFP (and one before that I sent back); Sniper (lowend, don't remember which one); they sent me the ST 5X25x50 FFP (this one looks good at 200yds (don't have longer range); I have a Nikon Prostaff 3X9 very clear but no side paralax wheel).l Going to range again today to give another try w/the Vortex DiamBk 6X24FFP. will let you know how it goes. FYI> I am looking at some mid-tier scopes. After sufficient research will go with one of them. Thanks, Chuck

Anthlon Halos Rtr 8X34; Vortex Diamondback Tact. 6X24X50 FFP (and one before that I sent back); Sniper (lowend, don't remember which one); they sent me the ST 5X25x50 FFP (this one looks good at 200yds (don't have longer range); I have a Nikon Prostaff 3X9 very clear but no side paralax wheel).l Going to range again today to give another try w/the Vortex DiamBk 6X24FFP. will let you know how it goes. FYI> I am looking at some mid-tier scopes. After sufficient research will go with one of them. Thanks, Chuck

Get the eyepiece properly focused. If you are having a bunch of problems with different scopes, it is either that or you need corrective glasses of some sort (if eyepiece does not have enough adjustment range for your eyes). I am familiar with the Diamondback Tactical and had my hands on several of these. Unless you managed to get a dud, these focus at infinity just fine.

ILya

Get the eyepiece properly focused. If you are having a bunch of problems with different scopes, it is either that or you need corrective glasses of some sort (if eyepiece does not have enough adjustment range for your eyes). I am familiar with the Diamondback Tactical and had my hands on several of these. Unless you managed to get a dud, these focus at infinity just fine.

ILya
Have appt for eye exam. I hope it's my eyes. Thanks.

I sound like a broken record on this, but the Sightron SVSSED 4.5-24 is a very worthy riflescope.
They have two models, one with ZS and one without.

I ended up getting the Bushnell XRS2. Also tried getting the Delta Stryker as well based on feedback, but it sold right before I messaged the seller. Excited to try out the XRS2, but part of me wishes I would have waited to see what the new offering would be from Bushnell when they release the details for their ET line.

You could always move down here. :)
That would involve me selling out of my business and finding a job down there so not likely to happen anytime soon😒. If you have a great paying job for me that pays for me to have nice guns and scopes I'll consider it.

That would involve me selling out of my business and finding a job down there so not likely to happen anytime soon😒. If you have a great paying job for me that pays for me to have nice guns and scopes I'll consider it.
haha, well I don't have a job for you, sorry. But I'm sure someone does as even in spite of the Covid shutdown, the US is still a great job market for all skill levels. At least for the time being, we'll see if the far left is going to take power here in a couple weeks and if they do we'll have to wait to see what policies exactly they'll enact that will subsequently discourage business and prosperity.