• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Preferred target shape for shooting groups?

strat81

Misanthropic Realist
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2009
Hamilton County, Nebraska
I'm working on some load development and shot with a few different targets today. I noticed that even with the same load, I did not shoot as well with squares as I did with other shapes. Also, a square with a very small center dot did not work well for me either.

What is your preferred target shape for shooting groups? Circle/dot/bull, diamond, square, something else?

Do you think the optimum target shape varies based on reticle type?

Or is it mostly personal preference?

I was working with an 18" stainless barrel AR-15 w/ Burris MTAC 3.5-10x @ 100 yards.

Re: Preferred target shape for shooting groups?

I personally like light colored circles, most likely with a dot in the middle, i tend to shoot best with them

Diamonds. Either 1" or 3/4". Black.

I also do well with 1" black circles.

I think it's mostly personal preference, because I have a friend who shoots well at fluorescent orange stickers, but those are very difficult for me to center up.

I like a 1" black dot, works well with my mil dot ret.

(i prefer Black rounds w red dots)
definitely personal choice. Id chalk this one up the same as reticule preffrence, -plenty of good options out there, but you gotta use what youre best with or what youre training for.

I use a 3/4" white dot with a heavy dark grey or black outline. I also like diamond of same dimentions. White center slows you to see and center retical better than dark center.

a big help would be to move your point of aim either up or below your point of impact....that way you don't destroy your point of aim like I see a lot of new shooters do

I must be strange because I like something with a point to really focus on. diamond or triangle

Or any steel at distance.

I prefer to use the smallest black dot ( drawn and colored using a template) against a bright white background with the scope at the highest magnification power that I will use in order to be able to quarter the dot with the reticle.

I prefer the hollow blue diamonds of the mountains plains industries targets that Sinclair sells. I just find them the easiest to center up on.

And target SIZE must be appropriate for the reticle and magnification.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CamW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out this site, you can design your own targets with different sized bullseye and rings.

http://www.printtargets.net/</div></div>

Awesome! Thank you.

And thanks to all that replied.
smile.gif

I tend to shoot best groups with the SH Group Shot Target or the 3 inch shoot nc's, they both have a 1/4'' dot in the center which I like, but I've only used them at close range from 50-125 yards.

I like to use orange dots. I use 1 inch orange dots from 100-400 yards. 2 inch orange dots from 500- 800. 3 inch orange dots at 900-1000.

A good 10X scope will be plenty to see the dots at those distances, although I usually shoot with at least a 12X, and up to a 48X scope!

Aim small, miss small ;-)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Storm Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A bunch of free to-scale ones here, your choice of MIL scale (yards or meters range) or MOA scale (yard range):

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2446827

</div></div>

The ones I'm using are from you guys. Excellent target in just about any configuration.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TackDriver13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like to use orange dots. I use 1 inch orange dots from 100-400 yards. 2 inch orange dots from 500- 800. 3 inch orange dots at 900-1000.

<span style="font-weight: bold">A good 10X scope will be plenty to see the dots at those distances....</span></div></div>

10x is enough to aim at a 1" dot at 400 yards??

My Premier 3-15 is just *barely* adequate for 1" dots at 200 yards. It has the Gen2 mildot. My 5-25 Premier with Gen2XR @ 15x improves this, but not enough for 300 yards.

I like to aim at a dot where the dot size and scope magnification allows the quadrants of the dot to just peek out of the crosshair.