• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Preferred target shape for shooting groups?

strat81

Misanthropic Realist
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2009
Hamilton County, Nebraska
What is your preferred target shape for shooting groups on paper? Square? Diamond? Circle? Trapezoid? Rhombus? Decagon?

I like diamonds and will bisect the diamond with my reticle, but I'm curious if there's something better.

Square...Grey in color. Aim at the corner but dial so the POI is about an inch away

I use two black square so that the bottom right corner of one square and the top left corner of the other square are the same point. Make since? Or just a sheet with a bunch of 1/2" dots.

1/2 inch square in a 1/4 grid for load development.

Any sort of reactive target for self gratification ?

I use two black square so that the bottom right corner of one square and the top left corner of the other square are the same point. Make since? Or just a sheet with a bunch of 1/2" dots.
I like this and shoot very similar targets but use 1 inch squares

Been thoroughly enjoying cheap 1'' to 2'' circle stickers a nice bright orange love it when I see them with 5 shots all touching , Its such a happy sight to me .almost as sweet as the ting of steel plates , clear skies , birds chirping , sun shinning , and the smell of fresh Folgers black in a still 1/2 full cup .
ok the last part was more from the commercial i just saw but it does seem like it fit a little .

I dont have the best eyes so i punch the center out of the 1 inch dots and put them on white paper very east to see the floating dot reticle

I just use the StormTactical ones from the site (.pdf of a hundred + choices). I tend to like the diamond ones in the MIL sizing. Makes it easier once on paper to look through the scope, see where the impact is, pull a blank one out back at the bench and see what sort of MIL adjustments are needed.

Especially since I'm new to all this. Anything I can use to break it down into a more mechanical/mathematical process, the better, until I get enough experience under my belt to make correct adjustments from use.

(Oh yeah, and I focus on the reticle, not the target .... :p ).

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
I prefer gridded paper for zeroing because I can line up my reticle. I’m anal about measuring small distances as well.

if I don’t have gridded paper I’ll draw a dark colored square w/ a “hollow center.” The hollow center being my bull. Aim small, miss small.

In the pic below I bore sighted, got on paper & made a correction. It was a bit much, but not too bad. It was warm here in Texas that day, & mirage was tough at 100 (25X) so I sent another to confirm the my 2nd shot. I measured the distance, corrected for it & got it right on my 4th shot.

Attachments

• CDAFA1B6-0CB8-4CF2-BE83-59CB3C3F9712.jpeg
    CDAFA1B6-0CB8-4CF2-BE83-59CB3C3F9712.jpeg
    376.2 KB · Views: 62
stopped shooting "targets" all together at shorter ranges

i now carry a roll of painters or duct tape in my bag

stick it on what ever is hanging there

either i put a little circle on the tape and dial off

but

most of the time i just put a shot on tape/target and dial off

stopped shooting "targets" all together at shorter ranges

i now carry a roll of painters or duct tape in my bag

stick it on what ever is hanging there

either i put a little circle on the tape and dial off

but

most of the time i just put a shot on tape/target and dial off

I’m only shooting paper to establish or confirm zero. After that? It’s nothing but steel.

lay out 3-inch square grid on a full-sized poster board with magic marker. pair the posterboard with a similar-sized cardboard backing. these are are inserted into a target holder stuck in the ground. it's easy to line up reticle on the edges, so you are essentially aiming at a '+' sign. you have a permanent record if you want it. only used for load development or zeroing.

X’s. These were 5 shot load development groups a couple of barrels ago. You can really clean up your sight picture and print tiny groups.

Attachments

• B5BA31DF-543E-4AEA-A8F2-EE88815448A1.jpeg
    B5BA31DF-543E-4AEA-A8F2-EE88815448A1.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 33
If I am going to print something Ive always used the storm tactical moa target page 21
1571930767966.png

But Since often times Im testing out more than 5 and that means more than one page I have since started buying butcher paper and 1/2" orange stickers on a roll. Cut the paper to size and place stickers appropriately.
2C36E444-6E61-4D27-8684-93233470B53C.jpeg

35AC0099-0E0B-454C-B739-B85FA0DB1C54.jpeg

^ Always in the data book with me. The stickers are where it’s at though. Zero admin stuff to bring with and all you do is walk up and plop em on. The ring reinforcement stickers are fucking awesome (I painted the yellow ones black as yellow was a bit too light).

Depending on the day you’re having though, 1/4” targets may not work out for you and cause you to get angry... so I recommend keeping the 3/4 stickers and the Shoot N See ones nearby lol

Screenshot_20191026-225436_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I like these little guys. Stick them on a piece of printer paper as required. The small black diamond in the center is a nice aiming point. Either these or the solid black circles.

Picked my favorites fro Storm Tacticals shared targets and customized them.

VooDoo1MOAOrange.png

I have 1 MOA, 2 MOA, 3 MOA and 6 MOA dots and print them on heavy paper as needed.

VooDoo

Reactions: M8541Reaper
The green and black ones with the outline of a muzzle brake.