• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Prefit Barrels in a KRG Bravo?

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Can anyone speak to the fit of a barrel nut in the KRG Bravo chassis? The KRG website says of the Bravo...

“Barrel contours accepted: 1.25” for 4” in front of action face, then 1.20” straight to end of foreend. A 1.25” straight cylinder will fit but we fell that the clearance is too minimal. We recommend using no larger than a varmint contour to keep proper balance”.

Considering that a Savage barrel nut is right around 1.30” in diameter, it would appear the KRG Bravo may not accept barrel nut arrangements if the nut diameter exceeds 1.25”. I would expect most barrel nuts for Remington and Howa prefits are similar in diameter, calling into question whether those barrel/nut parts can fit. One person has cited having to do some “relieving” for a BigHorn nut used in a Bravo.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/krg-bravo-fit-finish.6913017/#post-7357162

Phil

Call James at Northland Shooter Supply he can give you the dimension. Bugholes is also using his own nut not sure about the dimensions call or send him an email.

Reactions: coltm4
I will call both tomorrow. I saw that BugHoles has no listing for a nut using metric threads. Nor did I see anything metric at Northland. Not being able to be use prefit barrels in the Bravo would be a real shame. BugHoles nuts seem to be small in diameter, a good thing, but they have nothing in metric.

There's another thread on here a member had to removed some material to get his Barloc to fit. I don't remember if it was a Nucleus action, but he was running a PVA barrel on his.

That was me in the other thread. I have personally tried it with nucleus and barloc, nucleus and PVA nut and nucleus and NSS nut. The only one that needed relieved was the barloc, the cleanest was the PVA nut by far. The barloc required a pretty substantial amount of material removed but not enough to hurt the structural integrity imo.

The aluminum backbone of the Bravo (and other KRG chassis) is cut to the diameter of the action out to approx 4-6" ahead of the action face, depending on the inlet. Basically anything that is smaller than action diameter will clear but it's best to go at least .050 under action diameter. Thank you all for your business that have posted here.
Justin

To add to the above, I have a TL3 in a Bravo, and I've found that Savage Prefit barrels with the PVA barrel nut fit just fine.

I will report back on what Patriot Valley Arms (PVA), BugHoles, and Northland Shooter Supply (NSS) have to offer in metric barrel nuts and outside diameter. I will also check Criterion since they offer Howa prefits with a nut, as does SinArms (own custom nut).

Following up on my efforts to try and understand how much room there is for barrel nuts on the KRG Bravo chassis and what nuts may or may not fit, KRG wrote this.

I don’t have a list of which will work but generally as long as the barrel nut is less diameter than the receiver it will work just fine.

My Howa receiver is about 1.350" in diameter on the horizontal plane (it has a flat bottom). From what KRG says, any barrel nut that size or smaller should work. I have a spare Savage barrel nut, and it is 1.30". Some of the hex nuts may be too big across the points of the hex. BugNuts (BugHoles) uses a nut that has six flats designed in a way where the nut is no larger than 0.050" larger than the barrel breech. That surely would work. I'll find out for sure when I get the Bravo chassis here.

BugHoles told me that they have not seen any chassis that will not accept a 1.30" diameter nut, but also says they have not tried a Bravo either. If the 1.30" nut is a problem, I was told they can turn down the barrel breech to 1.20" and use a 1.25" nut. I suspect that will not be necessary, given KRG's comments above.

Phil

Krg bravo with a 700 action and NSS barrel nut and light varmint barrel. Plenty of room for bigger contours.

Attachments

• 20180430_115414.jpg
    20180430_115414.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 178