• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Prefit help

Nittynate

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2018
So I installed new prefit Proof barrel and checked headspace with forster no-go gauge. The bolt would close with moderate force. I torqued barrel to 80 lbs. I Dont know how much force is too much. Is my barrel or action out of spec or did i use to much force? Also would closing bolt on gauge cause any damage? Any help appreciated. Thank you

If it got tight a bit on a no go it’s gtg.
Another half thou and it wouldn’t close.

DO you think any damage was done by pushing down with bolt on gauge to hard. I did not hammer it down or anything but was using some force. No visible damage or marking on gauge, bolt or action.

(y)
83CA4C0F-E014-47DB-A676-58037947A3A9.jpeg

Reactions: Changed
What's the rule of thumb for "closes with resistance" in the directions? I always thought it was very light, like finger pressure.

No "rule of thumb".
The potential issue revolves around whether you handload, or use factory ammo.
It's conceivable- if not likely- that some factory ammo may not chamber if you've got too much resistance on the go gauge when closing the bolt.
To me, "light" resistance means the bolt handle will not fall from gravity alone (stripped bolt, the only way to accurately check), and needs very slight fingertip pressure to assist.

In this case, if you handload and need a half-thou or thou, it's a simple matter to adjust your sizing die to bump the shoulder a bit more to get it exactly where you want it.

Only done it once when I barreled my savage, but I figured if I couldn't close it like I would with normal force to chamber a round, it was good.
Like mentioned, if you had to muscle it, then you are fine.

So I installed new prefit Proof barrel and checked headspace with forster no-go gauge. The bolt would close with moderate force. I torqued barrel to 80 lbs. I Dont know how much force is too much. Is my barrel or action out of spec or did i use to much force? Also would closing bolt on gauge cause any damage? Any help appreciated. Thank you
I’m curious about if you only need to buy one gauge to check headspace on a prefit. They sell three different sizes but if I only would have to buy one that would be nice. Did you only pick up a no go gauge?

I’m curious about if you only need to buy one gauge to check headspace on a prefit. They sell three different sizes but if I only would have to buy one that would be nice. Did you only pick up a no go gauge?
I always set my barrel to where it clears a go gauge (provided that gauge closely matches my brass) but won’t close on one layer of packing tape on the end of the gauge.
That tape is typically around two thou thick.

Reactions: Forward543
Also worth considering that your go/no go gauges are "lifetime" tools. Sure you have to spend a few bucks to have both, but you shouldn't have to buy them (for that cartridge) ever again if you take care of them.

Yeah, just pick up a go gauge and a roll of scotch tape. that will get you there.

I don't care what anyone guarantees. I won't buy a barrel for DIY installation unless it has a barrel nut instead of a shoulder.

I have to have the ability to control headspace, not live with whatever someone else decides it will be.

I don't care what anyone guarantees. I won't buy a barrel for DIY installation unless it has a barrel nut instead of a shoulder.

I have to have the ability to control headspace, not live with whatever someone else decides it will be.
I kinda felt the same.
With a barrel nut prefit as long as they got the case exposure close your GTG.
I’ll be doing my own shouldered barrels soon:)

No go guage is to make sure you can not get excessive headspace. For a precision rifle it is good to be tight on headspace, not anywhere near a no go. I use the go and a piece of tape to set on barrel nut installs and setting headspace on a shouldered barrel. A no go is a last chance don't use this barrel measurement. Usefully for factory rifles that are not meant to be precise. If using factory ammo it might be better to be .004-.005 off of minimum. Then you might have bit of expansion for some rounds, but would still close on most factory ammo. Minimum is great for a handloader, then all of your dies should work and brass expansion is low.