• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Premier - Gen 2 MD or Gen 2 XR?

Meuse

Exceptionally Average
Minuteman
May 28, 2008
Purgatory
Ok, here's a question for all you guys running the Premier Heritage optics.

I've arranged a sweet deal with Scott at Liberty Optics on the Premier Heritage 3-15x50mm double-turn MTC. My trade-in is enroute to Scott and I need to make a reticle decision. The PH 3-15 will go onto my new 700 LH LTR .308. I realize that this scope may be a little heavy for the LTR rig.

Here's the longterm plan - Shoot the 20" barrel out and build it back up with a 22" 1-11.25 5R .308 barrel with brake set in a Manners T4A or McMillan A5 and DBM system.

I'm gonna attempt to shoot the 20" LTR up to 1000 yds (club max is 1000 yds) fairly regularly. I hope to dial in a nice 155 Scenar load. I've got another Rem 700 donor action that I wanna make a .260 Rem. The PH may spend some time on the .260, too. I was running the Leupold TMR reticle in my previous scope (the trade-in).

Knowing this, give me your opinions on the Gen 2 Mildot and Gen 2 XR reticles. I'm a little partial to the Gen 2 XR reticle at this point. Is the Gen 2 XR reticle gonna be overkill considering my rifles and application.

Thanks fellas.

Re: Premier - Gen 2 MD or Gen 2 XR?

the gen 2xr might give you a little more precise for using wind holdovers without dialing elevation. The Gen 2 Mildot is good to if you plan on just dialing elevation and holding wind, I am running the Gen 2 XR in a 5-25 and its a little small on the bottom end of the power but its a good reticle i like it and it works for me.

They the hash marks wrong on the XR, the half mil are bigger than the full mil, I vote gen2mildot

Glen,

Thanks again for helping me out with the two left hand bases. One base was missing screws but I talked with your wife on Thursday after the bases arrived. She was gonna mail four screws out so I should be golden.

The rifle shot great this weekend. So much for the 30mm rings I got from you... I'm gonna need 34mm's for the PH
grin.gif
. Scott was nice enough to help me solve that problem, too.

Thanks again for everything.

Jace

I'm an XR guy, personally.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They the hash marks wrong on the XR, the half mil are bigger than the full mil, I vote gen2mildot </div></div>

Ya, why is that?? On every other scope the full mils are a large hash.

My guess... it might be because people are used to looking at mildots at the 1 mil marks. So it's still that way. I think i would like it the other way though - that way the mil is the smaller and the hash is the larger (brain-eye thing?) That would mean the 1st markings around the cross-hair would be a mildot instead of the hash mark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyrekzz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My guess... it might be because people are used to looking at mildots at the 1 mil marks. So it's still that way. </div></div>

This is true. But they needed to make the mildots a standard .2 mil instead of the .1 they made them.

yeah... after looking at it, it is backwards i think. Maybe they made a mistake but it would cost too much to change right now???
smile.gif

dots are at full mils on the GenIIXR, they are just smaller than usual (.1 mil).

5-25heritagegen2xrslick.jpg

I like the XR better. While the Gen II might be easier to remember, the XR isn't too much more information to process.

I went with the Gen2Mildot on my 3-15X and Gen2XR on the 5-25X.
So far I very much like the look of the Gen2MD throughout the 3-15's entire power range. The 2Mildot is very useable all the way through and would think the 2XR may get a little lost with the power down low...

Will be shooting through the 5-25X 2XR for the first time this weekend & hoping I like it as much for use on the higher powers at longer distances. From gawking through it so far, I think the 2XR comes into it's own around 10X and only gets better as you go up...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnson184</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They the hash marks wrong on the XR, the half mil are bigger than the full mil, I vote gen2mildot </div></div>

Ya, why is that?? On every other scope the full mils are a large hash. </div></div>
Is it really that difficult to fathom? The basic parameter of a Mildot scope is that it is 1 MIL from the center of any Mildot to the center of the the next closest Mildot.

This is true whether the next Mildot is next to, above, or below. So logically, <span style="font-weight: bold">any marker</span> <span style="font-style: italic">midway</span> between two Mildots is at a <span style="font-weight: bold">.5 MIL</span> <span style="font-weight: bold">regardless of shape (dot, hash mark, or "+" sign)</span>.

Seems pretty simple to me...

Keith

yep... i just think that on some of the other scope i've seen have the larger markings at 1 mil... brain-eye thing and getting used to. What they could have done maybe is have large hash marks and small hash marks instead. Because when you look from the cross-hair to the 1st marking - it's a large hashmark at 1/2 mil... whereas on others... it's a smaller hashmark and then the larger is next at the full mil. you know? But i get what you're saying about the mildot to mildot - excellent point.

Thanks guys.

I went with the Gen 2 mildot reticle in the 3-15x50 after talking with Scott at Liberty today - complete with Seekins low rings. He says it should be here by Monday.
wink.gif

I knew that I wanted the 3-15x50 over the 5-25x56 scope. Scott also threw in his two cents and seemed to make a couple good points:

- The Gen 2 XR may be somewhat less user friendly at the lower magnification ranges of the 3-15... but may be prefered in the 5-25 model.
- The Gen 2 mildot remains extremely user friendly throughout the 3-15 magnification range.
- Crank up the illumination setting on the Gen 2 mildot and you've essentially got a red dot sight - which may be nice if it's ever used for hunting.

All in all, the Gen 2 mildot seemed a little cleaner to me and doesn't seem to lose anything compared to the Gen 2 XR.

<span style="font-style: italic">And now for the shameless Liberty Optics plug:</span>

Fellas, if you're thinking about getting a Premier - give Scott at Liberty Optics a call. He gave me a screaming deal on mine.... I really don't think anybody can touch his price.