• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Premier or S&B?

lostangel

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2010
El Campo, TX
www.inamorato.net
Premier Reticle 5-25X56 with Gen2 XR reticle
Mil adjustments

OR

Schmidt and Bender 5-25 x 56 Police Marksman II LP with P4f reticle
Mil adjustments

Which is better? More rugged? Which do you prefer? Why?

I am within $1k of buying one of these new. Should have the cash in hand before the Premier is available.

Re: Premier or S&B?

DAMN!! Never seen a dead horse beaten till it got up and ran

notthisshitagain4jw.jpg

LOL^^^

but seriously I am trying to decide between the 3-15 Premier or the 3-12 S&B...with the same respective reticles you are looking at. Im half leaning toward the Premier because its made in the USA and a little cheaper. And without having looked thru either scope, the GenIIXR reticle seems more appealing to me. *coming from a new first time bolt gun owner ;-)

Having had both I much prefer the S&B reticle and knobs. Both are well made scopes with good glass and tracked correctly. I still have one S&B 5-25 now and have another getting delivered tomorrow set up exactly like you are looking at. Love everything about the scope.

I don't like the MTC knobs on the Premier as it's harder to get to the .1 or .2 after the heavy click. Just don't like the feel of the clicks either.

I don't like the tiny dots and larger hash marks on the XR reticle either. Confusing to the eye. The dots should have been bigger. I would recommend going with the standard Gen II if you go Premier. I have the Gen II in my present S&B 5-25 and like it alot. It's a good reticle although it's not available in the S&B any longer.

Having bought one of Rob01's S&Bs, I agree. I've shot mine out to 1000 meters and the P4F worked very nicely. It tracks perfectly as well. (I have the 13 MIL single turn)

Jeff

S&B =
smile.gif

I think the Premier is brighter to my eyes. I would go Premier just because of how I see through it.

I like the premier for the reasons that another posted he didn't. I do like the feel of the clicks. To me, they are very positive and I don't feel like I would be able to skip over them. I would say this, if you are going to go with the 3x15, I would think the mil dot would be better. The gen 2 xr is very small at low power and you need to crank up the power in order to see it very well. To me anyways, the mil dot shows up very well in the 3x15. You can also get almost new used premiers in the exchange for alot less than new price which means they would be much cheaper than an s and b. Everyone has their fav. Many prefer the s and b and the premiers are starting to get their following also. I don' think you can go wrong with either one.

What rundm said.

Also, if you get the S&B no one is going to tell you "Damn, you should've got the Premier." Or vice versa.

Do keep in mind, like you said earlier, Premier is made in the USA. I know international commerce is what it is, but I try to help whenever I can.

To add, they have also been around since close to the beginning under "Premier Reticles", when they used to take Leupolds and make them better. Remember those days guys? haha.

Either way you're good to go!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cornhuskid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having bought one of Rob01's S&Bs, I agree. I've shot mine out to 1000 meters and the P4F worked very nicely. It tracks perfectly as well. (I have the 13 MIL single turn)

Jeff

S&B =
smile.gif

</div></div>
I'm guessing that this was a 4-16X, as the 5-25Xs' don't come in ST, only DTs' (56 MOA of 1/4 MOA clicks and 27 MIL of .01 MRAD clicks). I only point this out for the edification of the OP.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
notthisshitagain4jw.jpg
</div></div>
No shit.

I bought a PR 5-25 because it was several hundred dollars cheaper than the S&B, so far I really like the PR, glass is very good, eye relief is good, I like the tool less system of setting zero, there is no back lash on my paralex knob, this is my first all MilRad scope, the distance between clicks is rather close compared to my all MOA NF, and I not sold on the MTC at full Mils, but like I said this is my first all MilRad scope, I also had a hard time focusing the reticle to my eyes, at first I thought it was mirage, the rednecks at the range asked why I was pointing my stick at the sky so many times, I also didn't expect there to be clicks when setting zero, and finally the lack of marking on the paralex knob was an oversight IMHO, but God made paint markers for a reason, all future PR scopes will be marked. Long term there is no data to say if the PR will stand the test of time or be as if not more whatever compared to S&B, PR is one of the new kids on the block, yes I know they have been in business for a longtime, but the Heritage series is relatively new in comparison to S&B.

is there an e.t.a. on this S&B 3-20? worth the wait?

I have found my PH 3-15 to be a great setup. It works well for me for the reasons stated above. The Gen 2XR is fine/small at 3 power, but, if I'm dialed in to 3 power I'm not ranging, calling shots, or using the inverted tree as it is intended. At 8 to 15 power the Gen 2XR works very well for me and I can see it just fine.

Excellent glass, very good eye relief, tool-less turrets, nice clicks, all work well for me.

I've also thoroughly enjoyed my PH 3-15, I ordered mine without the MTC clicks and I ordered a clockwise rotation turret. One nice thing about Premier, is they will make the scope how you want it.