• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Premier Rear scope cap solution...

knockemdown

suburban redneck
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2007
Hey gents...
I lost the rear cap to my PH in the field last trip, so needed to replace it somehow. I'm kinda glad I lost it, 'cause I didn't like it much anyway. (I left the Oklahoma dust where it lay to illustrate that point, below) SO, I figured a cheesy way to get a BC cap to work (for me) with my PH 3-15x50...

To make an even surface for the BC cap to slide onto, I built up the area between the ocular's lip and lock ring with 1/4" masking tape until it was just even with the lip...
PremierBCCap001.jpg

I measured the lip OD earlier and had the appropriate BC cap on hand. Here it goes, sliding on with just the right amount of resistence offered by the tape...
PremierBCCap002.jpg

BC cap in place, with a good seal and perfect 'flipability'...
PremierBCCap003.jpg

I'm going to moisture & dust test it, but so far the cap fits as snug as on any of my other scopes. It think it will work out OK with just the tape, but a thin bead of silicon on the tape itself might help keep the cap in place more permanently...

<span style="font-size: 11pt"> <span style="font-weight: bold">BULTER CREEK REAR CAP SIZE USED IS A #17 </span> </span>

Good shootin'!

Re: Premier Rear scope cap solution...

If you want a great fit without the tape, soften the sleeve of the BC in near boiling water and slide it over the locking ring and all. Seals better, etc. The way you did it your BC unnecessarily hangs over the end of the scope by over .25". You might need to move up to an 18 though, I do not recall as I sold my Premier last fall--but having tried it all ways, I found my method to be the most effective.

Scout, yep it would require a larger cap for sure. I've actually tried that method on other scopes, but didn't like the "feel" of the cap opening & closing with it. It was like the expanded plastic caused the cover to bind on the cap and not lock & release freely...
Thank you for offering an alternative though. The scope provides enough eye relief and .243 recoils so little that I'm not sweatin' the extra 0.25"...

When I had mine I placed a glued in rubber band on the inside of the cap lip which required me to press firmly to close the cap. This created a tight dust proof closing over the lens as well as an acceptable level of protection against water. I'm in Southern CA anyway so water was secondary to protection from dust.

It worked very well although I was always thinking 'I really shouldn't have to be doing all this'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want a great fit without the tape, soften the sleeve of the BC in near boiling water and slide it over the locking ring and all. Seals better, etc. The way you did it your BC unnecessarily hangs over the end of the scope by over .25". You might need to move up to an 18 though, I do not recall as I sold my Premier last fall--but having tried it all ways, I found my method to be the most effective. </div></div>

That's what I did (both the BC part and the not having it anymore part).......