• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Premier Scopes?

heron163

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2004
Boston
Hey - I have a Premier scope from about 10 years ago. It is a 5 - 25/56 and is a really solid scope. It is on a GAP .260 rem build
I built awhile back and never really used... Premier isn't around but I heard a few things about Tangent Theta doing the warranty
service on these. Not sure is this is accurate. I am going to sell this rifle and need to know if the Premier scope is still high value.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

You are correct. Premier as a company no longer exists but as a condition of tangent theta taking over the company, all premier equipment warranties are to be honoured by them. You are also correct, that is a solid scope.

It depends on your serial number if they will warranty your scope. If it's new enough they will fix it or give you more money towards a tangent if it breaks. If it's too old they will not fix it and will give you like 1000 towards a tangent if it fails.

Reactions: mjh30
One stock sold to flyfisherman246. One still available.
It depends on your serial number if they will warranty your scope. If it's new enough they will fix it or give you more money towards a tangent if it breaks. If it's too old they will not fix it and will give you like 1000 towards a tangent if it fails.

Just want to clarify that Tangent Theta is no longer repairing Premier scopes as parts have run out. Those serials under warranty will be granted 80% of the original retail price toward the purchase of an equivalent TT scope. If the scope is not covered (I.e. was not originally sold within ATI’s distribution network) then you get $1000 toward an equivalent TT scope.

Or if you unknowingly end up buying an old test & evaluation scope off the PX here then you can get hosed like I did and find out that your scope has *no* warranty support or trade in credit from Tangent when the parallax takes a dump. Still get pissed thinking about that.

Do yourself a huge favor and email or call Crystal at Tangent and make sure the serial number of the scope you want to buy is covered for the trade in credit, otherwise you'll end up with an expensive paperweight and nothing to show for it when it dies. As mentioned, scopes sold from their official distribution network get a larger trade in value than scopes sold outside their official distribution network, and if you somehow end up getting stuck with an old demo / T&E scope like I did you get *nothing* other than an email saying you are SOL.

Also, AFAIK Tangent is out of parts for the Premiers and no longer works on them, it's a trade in credit only if your Premier decides to shit the bed.

Reactions: Buckshotu2
So Premiers are worth $1k or less?

They’re worth whatever anyone is willing to pay but there is some risk that comes with the purchase. I have a 5-25x56 on my TWolf and have not experienced any issues. Most of the time, a problem arises with the parallax mechanism binding. This can be mitigated by keeping scope ring cap torque between 12-15 inch lbs and using quality rings or mount (Badger, Nightforce, Larue, etc).

Crystal Turco at ATI is very responsive with questions and serial number look-ups and usually returns emails same day or the following business day.

It wasn't PT008 by chance was it?

Not sure exactly what you mean by "PT0008" unless you're referring to a user here. I bought it here several years ago and can't remember the seller's name now. The parallax took a dump last year and developed a bunch of slop and now you can no longer dial out parallax past about 300Y. I was going to disassemble the thing in the name of science and see if I could machine new parallax parts, but ended up putting it on a PCP air rifle that usually gets shot out to 125-130Y max... works fine on that rifle since I never run into the 300Y parallax limit. Hopefully the parallax mechanism won't completely break.

Just my luck that the only 1 of my 4 Premiers that took a dump was the only one that was *not* covered because it was a former T&E unit. My other 3 are all covered by the maximum trade in credit as they were sold within the official distribution network.

Nope, serial number for my former T&E unit that wasn't covered is 001490.

They told you that was a T&E unit? I remember the test units being denoted by a PT = prototype. There was only a handful of those and then they started with the 000 numbering so the one that went down would've been the 1,490th made, well past the T&E phase.

Nope, Crystal said my scope went out as a T&E unit for review and was never returned to them, so it wasn't covered at all.

Love to know what dirtbag didn't send it back after they were done with it and instead kept it to resell... I asked Crystal, but she didn't know who it was sent to originally.

Oh, it was a review scope, gotcha. I understand now and I'd be upset too by the situation.

Now as to how the situation was created in the first place and I'm just speculating but based on experience sometimes review samples get sent out without a real time limit attached to them. I've also known of writers that get optics on long term loan basically to use in other reviews under the auspices of providing more exposure. If the company isn't happy with the exposure they get sent back, if they are happy then they'll keep them until the next ooo shiney comes along.

Again, I'm just speculating but in the case of Premier, if the writer had the sample in their possession when Premier effectively went under then at that point who do you send it back to? Normally, if a sample is out too long then some calls get made and the conversation is basically hey you need to send this back or buy it. If the company is in turmoil and minds are on other things, no one is there to make a call or follow up on things so it falls through the cracks. Eventually, assets are sold and so on and these things become someone elses problem to figure out. It sounds like TT only knows it was out for T&E but not to whom so it was effectively a dead end. Meanwhile, whoever got the Premier for review, moonwalks into oblivion having made a nice profit.