• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Premium ar 15 barrels

mi223

Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
West Michigan
I have an itch that needs scratched. I have been thinking about a premium quality barreled upper. This would be pretty general use. Little hunting, training, plinking, who knows what else.

What is your guys thoughts on having a custom barrel made from CLE or Craddock. Vs buying an off the shelf barrel from Noveske or DD. Also open to other segestions for off the shelf barrels.

Off the shelf looks to be a little cheaper. But could get chf that should last a hell of a long time the way I shoot.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: Jdfd556
I sent the parts for an AR10 build and Craddock turned it into a 6mmC laser. I also have a 20" varmint barrel from CLE that stacks bullets on top of each other. So I've learned my lesson in that regard, so much so that I'm now replacing the factory LMT barrel on an MLC with a signature barrel from Craddock.

I have a bartlein 18” SPR barrel from CLE using their match chamber in my mk18. This is typical with 77gr SMK hand loads for this barrel (flier in the second one was my fault). I use it for DMR type matches so I don’t need bench rest accuracy but this does put a big as smile on my face. It’s expensive but it makes me happy. Lol.

Daniel defense CHF barrels can shoot around 1-1.5 MOA pretty consistently in my experience with 77gr pills. If it’s gonna be for a general purpose rifle, I think a DD CHF is more than fine even for longer range stuff. If it’s gonna be more of a dedicated match/long range setup with lower volume fire and you want to shoot tiny groups, go with CLE.

Attachments

• F5EF142C-6D88-4AA9-B6DE-6C42B66BF381.jpeg
    F5EF142C-6D88-4AA9-B6DE-6C42B66BF381.jpeg
    315.7 KB · Views: 294
  • 33522CC4-3455-4B9D-AB1B-E82CEF6814FF.jpeg
    33522CC4-3455-4B9D-AB1B-E82CEF6814FF.jpeg
    231.1 KB · Views: 397
Reactions: MarshallDodge
I have a bartlein 18” SPR barrel from CLE using their match chamber in my mk18. This is typical with 77gr SMK hand loads for this barrel (flier in the second one was my fault). I use it for DMR type matches so I don’t need bench rest accuracy but this does put a big as smile on my face. It’s expensive but it makes me happy. Lol.

Daniel defense CHF barrels can shoot around 1-1.5 MOA pretty consistently in my experience with 77gr pills. If it’s gonna be for a general purpose rifle, I think a DD CHF is more than fine even for longer range stuff. If it’s gonna be more of a dedicated match/long range setup with lower volume fire and you want to shoot tiny groups, go with CLE.
Is CLE Criterion?

I know compass lake is around 5 months right now. I’ve got a krieger 18” from them and a Bartlein 18” from keystone. Both are very accurate. I’ve also had a Douglas and criterion from CLE. They are both collecting dust right now. Will never buy anything but a krieger or Bartlein again.

Craddock and CLE are both really good barrels and I have owned both but the reality is that they aren’t going to shoot any better than a $400 off the shelf Proof SS. The Proofs are really damn nice and what I’d put on a precision AR every single time.

Reactions: black max
I have at CLE 6.5 Bart. and a CLE 223 Bart. Both shoot like lasers. Might be worth the wait. I have Keystone Accuracy turning me a 6.5 Kreiger at the moment. Said wait time was around 3 weeks, when we spoke a couple of weeks ago . On a side note my most accurate 308 is a Craddock Precision Bartlein. See a pattern here . I cant wait to see how the Kreiger hangs.

I would buy a White Oak Armament barrel, a CLE Douglas barrel, a Proof, or a Rainier Ultra Match. I'm betting any of those barrels would be battling for tightest groups depending on the day. I would also highly recommend a Wylde chamber over the CLE chamber. And if ordering from CLE, either specify what you want your gas port to be or plan on using an adjustable gas block. (I would anyway). Pair with either a VLTOR A5 buffer system or a JP SCS.

I also favor a 1:8" barrel over a 1:7". A 1:8" is plenty of twist to stabilize and will likely allow you to run slightly higher velocities with the same amount of pressure. Another thing to consider if going with a custom barrel is using a 5/8 24 muzzle thread to leave more meat at the crown and depending on what muzzle device/ suppressor you use it could eliminate an adapter.

The best precision AR barrel I have right now is a 20" WOA SDM fluted, Wylde chamber, 1:7" barrel. It is a hammer and isn't picky about what bullets it likes.
My favorite barrel - 223/5.56 Predator, 1-8 twist (in stock at time I ordered)
I have right now is a 20" WOA SDM fluted, Wylde chamber, 1:7" barrel. It is a hammer​

Last edited:
CLE Bartlein, Proof, WOA have all shot very well for me.

I had a CLE Criterion that was... okay. I've had AR-stoners that shot just as good, though.

Does anyone have any opinions on WOA's
  • Transitional (Gain) Twist, 8 to 6.5 twist (bartlein barrel)

Is barrel length a factor in deciding on a barrel? Short can still be accurate. But does it need to be as accurate if it isn't as capable at distance?

I am thinking 16inch but I do like 13.7-14.5 pin and weld

Is barrel length a factor in deciding on a barrel? Short can still be accurate. But does it need to be as accurate if it isn't as capable at distance?

I am thinking 16inch but I do like 13.7-14.5 pin and weld

The length of your barrel has nothing to do with the accuracy of the barrel, muzzle velocity and Gas/Dwell time is what is effected by barrel length.

That said most people shoot heavier barrels 18"-24" more accurately because they have the barrel weight keeping the rifle planted where the lighter shorter barrels tend to hop around and require more discipline and focus to keep the same level of consistent accuracy.

For my precision gas rifles I have Craddock, CLE and Proof Research Barrels all of which are single point cut rifled barrels when CLE and Craddock use Bartlein or Krieger blanks. As far as the blanks go they equally perform but with CLE and Craddock you get to control every aspect and design of those barrels and that's what make the extra $200+ worth it over any off the shelf barrel.

I just bought a Wilson combat barrel. I heard that's who makes barrels for woa but not sure.

I decided to try the chamber and bolt before assembly and I can't get the bolt to close on a factory round but it will on a resized reload of mine. It's a Failzero bolt that I bought somewhere else so I'm waiting on a set of gauges to check it with. I will probably just ream the chamber a few thousandths more myself if it needs it.

I just bought a Wilson combat barrel. I heard that's who makes barrels for woa but not sure.

I decided to try the chamber and bolt before assembly and I can't get the bolt to close on a factory round but it will on a resized reload of mine. It's a Failzero bolt that I bought somewhere else so I'm waiting on a set of gauges to check it with. I will probably just ream the chamber a few thousandths more myself if it needs it.

Don't mess with the WC barrel sell the FailZero Bolt and buy a bolt from WC, those chromed bolts tend to have issue with consistent headspacing on Match Chambers due to the inconsistencies of the thickness of the Chrome.

Reactions: Codiekfx400
Does anyone have any opinions on WOA's
  • Transitional (Gain) Twist, 8 to 6.5 twist (bartlein barrel)
The gain twist barrels are for shooting 85+ grain bullets. In an AR, they have to be hand loaded into the chamber. They are not magazine length. Even then, 1:7 can handle some (I’d have to look up numbers to quantify “some”) of those heavier bullets. The gain twist is supposed to prevent the bullet from sliding across the lands in the beginning of the barrel. Whether it is any benefit to those high power/service rifle shooters who use them, I don’t know. But it’s of zero benefit to someone who is only going to be shooting mag-length loads.

Craddock and CLE are both really good barrels and I have owned both but the reality is that they aren’t going to shoot any better than a $400 off the shelf Proof SS. The Proofs are really damn nice and what I’d put on a precision AR every single time.
Can agree on the proof barrels being take drivers. Bought an upper from you a while back with one and it’s a consistent 3/4 moa

Don't mess with the WC barrel sell the FailZero Bolt and buy a bolt from WC, those chromed bolts tend to have issue with consistent headspacing on Match Chambers due to the inconsistencies of the thickness of the Chrome.
I tried a second non coated bolt and it wouldn't close either by hand with the ejector removed.
Unless the force of closing the bolt with the spring when fully assembled will force it closed.

I have all the tools except the gauges and reamer and ordered them today as I will probably use them in the future for other builds so I don't mind doing the extra work to make it all work. I would like to do a bartlein or other cut rifled barrel myself later on.

When I looked at EXO Nickel Boron coated bolts it looked to me like Failzero had the best coating I've never had one before and was curios to try one.

I can only speak from my experience. I built a lower using a Spike's receiver and Rock River two stage trigger. I chose a mid-length NM Rock River upper with an 18 inch stainless barrel with a Wylde chamber and 1/8 twist. I don't think I could ask for anything more accurate. This was a few years ago, and it seems they offer only a 20 inch barrel now with several handguard choices.

Last edited:
Larue Tactical, White Oak Armament, Precision Firearms. I have experience with them all and would take them in the woods, to competition, or just plinking with the boys.

WOA is my preference. More of their uppers have won compeditors 1st place at camp perry then i believe any other mfg. my favorite is a 20” varnment upper. Wait time for any of the worthwhile uppers will be 12-16 weeks.

I have been debating caliber on this build as well. Reading one of the other threads has me thinking about a proof carbon 14.5 inch 6arc. But man that is the most expensive option yet.

Reactions: GlockandRoll
Proof ARC barrels have been pretty stellar across the board from what I've seen. 4-5 Carbons and just as many stainless barrels. For that matter, I've got a Bartlein CLE ARC barrel that's produced some .8-.9 MOA 20-shot groups, too.

So after looking over the specs, a proof carbon is 25oz. A government profile barrel is about the same. What is the advantages of going with a proof vs using an lighter profile steel barrel?

CLE is good. i have an extra gift card form them if you need one. i could sell at a discount. i dont need any new barrels soon.

Reactions: YotaEer
Shot these last week with my WOA barrel. Not the greatest shooter obviously, but that one group is the smallest I've ever shot with any firearm. This was with h335 and Hornady 55grain soft points and win brass. You can score a WOA for under $300. Not much too lose in my opinion.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220603-125846.png
    Screenshot_20220603-125846.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 101
  • Screenshot_20220603-124841.png
    Screenshot_20220603-124841.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot_20220603-124520.png
    Screenshot_20220603-124520.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_20220603-124310.png
    Screenshot_20220603-124310.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 90
i’ve got a woa shilen rachet, a cle krieger in260 rem, a cle 223 with a bartlien and sold a craddock 223 bartlien rifle. they all shoot as well as i’m able to shoot although i’m partial to the compass lake barrels. get a premium barrel from one of these fine businesses and don’t look back.