• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Prep work on barreled action prior to duracoat?

lelandEOD

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2008
I'm almost ready to coat my Defiance .284 Winchester in duracoat. My question is: what kind of prep work will ensure good adhesion of the duracoat? The barrel and action are very smooth and quite polished. I am tempted to sandblast the thing as I've had excellent results with that method in the past... but ... damn... that just seems sacrilegious, doesn't it? What method of prep are the shops using prior to coating? Steel wool? Something else?

Re: Prep work on barreled action prior to duracoat?

I would highly suggest blasting it then baking to make sure all oil is gone.

Isn't soda blasting better than sand?

Degrease, 120 grit aluminum oxide, blow clean (or degrease again), spray. I've had the best luck with that. I've also done just a scrub down with a scotch brite pad, degrease, and spray for when the blasting cabinet was broken. It held, but not quite as well as with the blasting.
Of course, just be patient with the dry/cure times. If you get ants in your pants and start touching/fondling/abusing it too quickly, then don't blame us when the finish doesn't last
smile.gif

This is the advise I thought I'd get. I just have a hard time imagining putting my beautiful barreled action into a sand blast cabinet. But, I can't leave it polished... I just can't.

Is there anything I should be wary of hitting with the blaster? I will obviously be very careful around the bolt lugs. I just can't afford to scree this up. I blast and park 1919's and AK's all the time... precision bolt rifles... not some much.

Thanks guys!

tape off the lug faces and the bolt face with 100 mph tape. plug you chamber and muzzle, blast well, degrease (before and after blasting) by soaking in acetone, put gloves on at this point as not to transfer oils, bake it for 30 mins to an hour at 300F, let cool a little, paint, let cure, reassemble, shoot, post range report.

good luck

I will add this from my own experience. Leave your rifle in the direct hot sunlight after you degrease the second time. This will let your barrel heat up and the oil will seep out from places you have already degreased. Degrease again if you see any oil seaping out from the cracks and screw holes. Trust me if will f__ your duracoat job up if you don't. O, like Dingo said, don't touch it for atleast a week, it just about kills me to do this everytime but it is also a must for a good job.