• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Preparing for a carbine course

kfgk14

Private
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2010
So, I've decided I'm taking a carbine course. I'm not sure who from yet. I've looked at Vickers, Magpul, Viking Tactics, Tigerswan, etc. and they all look very good, but it'll all come down to who will run a class close enough that I won't have to fly there. Being trapped in NH right now, I'm surrounded by ban states and Canada on two sides, and Maine/Vermont don't lead anywhere that would help me get to the free states past New York and Massachusetts. For the time being, I have to pray that somewhere in Vermont/NH/Maine I find a course.

Anyway, I digress. I've got my AR, chest rig, FAK, ammo, mags, 1st line belt, etc. all set up and sanity checked. I'm hoping the course I take will confirm the rig's setup as viable. So, what advise can you offer me regarding getting ready for my first carbine course? What to pack? What to leave at home? is there anything i should practice pre-course? I assume I'll need some spare parts for the AR, basic stuff (bolt and bolt rebuild kit, batteries for lights, extra slip 2000) and a cleaning kit. I'm bringing gloves and foul weather gear, too. obviously bring ear/eye protection, that would be a dumb thing to forget.
I've been drilling gun safety home for weeks, and I've familiarized myself with the mechanical workings of the rifle, as best as I can. Should I consider viewing the instructional videos made by whoever I'm taking the course from, to get an idea of what the course will cover?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Preparing for a carbine course

Bring whats recommended for the class from whatever class u decide to go to. Only thing i can recommend to bring is an open mind. Dont be that guy in class that only does things one way and one way only.

You've already got a pretty good start. Mindset and preparation go a long way.

I would suggest going over weapon conditions and malfunctions. Also, be in reasonable shape. For example (in your shooter kit), sprinting 5-20yds for strings of fire, being able to jog for 100yds without being too winded to shoot, being up to drop to a knee & prone quickly, etc.

Besides that, I agree with the above post- follow instructions and keep an open mind.

Stay light. Ive done many carbine courses. Everyone from Vickers, Magpul and law enforcement run courses.

Ive never done a course of fire in one that required more than 3 mags. So I run with 2 on my side and one in the gun.

Chest rigs with 10 mags, med kits and 20 pounds of other stuff hanging off you make no sense in a carbine course.

I run a High Speed Gear War Belt with two AR mag holders, two Glock mag holders and my Glock holster.

Keep it light and simple.....you'll appreciate that by day two if its a strenuous course.

You sound pretty well prepared, I would advise as mentioned before to go light.
Belt rig with 2 -3 spare mags for carbine, same for pistol.
I like the kangaroo pouches, and I run a ready mag on my carbine.
I can drop and reload a new mag much faster than anyone from pouches, with the ready mag.
I take a spare lower with me in case of parts breakage, easier to pull 2 pins than replace parts imo.
For practice, maintain the basics, dont rush and you should do just fine.
Remember that its supposed to be fun.