• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Preparing for delivery of my first 700!

frankxtc

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2020
New project to work on!
Ordered one of these from Bud’s a couple days ago:

The only bolt rifles I have are an Anschutz .22, used by my son for 3P Smallbore, and a Gilkes-Ross 6BR Match rifle.
Have many 7.62x51 mag fed rifles, now will have a bolt action in 7.62.
Planning to put an Omega 300 suppressor on the 700.
Am stealing the Zeiss Diavari-ZM/Z 3-12x56MC scope and bipod from my son’s old “F” class rifle, which he has not used since he was 11 or 12.
Would you just use an add-on riser for the cheek rest, on the stock that comes w/ the 700, or replace the stock w/ something else, adjustable LOP and riser?
Thanks,
Frank

Reactions: kRcu
Consensus seems to be to follow the break-in procedure to the letter with these rifles.

I don't own one myself, but others on here have told me this is the case.

As for the cheek riser, a good kydex riser will work fine. You can also sell the HS Precision stock and go with a KRG or other reasonable chassis.

Very happy with my 5R in a Manners T5A w/ Gen2 mini chassis. Just went to the range today and pleasantly surprised at the 5 shot groups. More so that I could still see clearly enough. Haha.

Thanks for the tips on alternative stocks & risers!
Received the 700 a couple days ago, installed the SilencerCo ASR muzzle brake in anticipation of the suppressor getting out of jail “someday”.
Tomorrow the Brownells order should show up w/ the scope rail, HS-Precision bottom metal, Geissele trigger.
Going to use the Tubb Final Finish Bore Lapping System on this barrel.
The daytime high temperatures here are supposed to drop into the high 80’s-low 90’s, almost tolerable for a trip the the range, very excited to try this out. Have some M852 and M118 ready (thanks CMP!!!)

Reactions: TommyD11730
The Bradley B24 is one I like for these HS precision stocks. They cost more than a Kydex kit, but they also don't require permanent modification to your stock.

Wow. Where was that rifle 20 years ago? When I bought my 700VS, the 5R barrels were just becoming available, but still unobtanium. As for now, anything that comes out of the Remington factory needs to be checked by a gunsmith. It's been a few years since a good Rem/Marlin horror story has hit the web, but there have been a few where even a semi-sober QC person would have spotted and sent back into the factory. Hopefully your gun shop has one of those Geissele bore rods to check the bore and supressor alighnment. Hate for a baffle strike to happen on your first outing.

As for a cheek riser, I still prefer the nylon slip ons with a soft cheek spot. Mouse pads and duct tape are cheap and can be used to adjust the height.
pJVj9rP.jpg

Made some progress today!
- mounted the scope
- HS Precision bottom metal went on w/o any fitting!
- found the old velcro cheek riser from my M1A.

Will be ordering the Geissele 7.62MM suppressor alignment rod for future projects.
I'm done buying suppressors on F-4.
At my age, not sure I have enough life span remaining for the current F-4 to complete approval.
When I get the form-1 process figured out, will build my own from now on.
Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 16.59.39.png

Bipod is on backwards. The giessele trigger is nice, you'll like it. Does that cheek piece stay put, looks like it might move around on you?