• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Preparing for first match

reeljob

Pastor
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2009
Galax, VA
I am getting ready for my first match scheduled two weeks away. The course of fire will not exceed 200 yards. I am thinking this will be a good one to get my feet wet in before I move on to F/TR class.I will be using my .308 FCP10 Savage with a Leupold MK4 6.5-20x50 and 190 SMK loads. What advice do you seasoned guys have for a new competition shooter? I am not new to competing, I have shot and done well with IDPA,trap, and skeet but with the exception of a few varmit class 100 yard events this is a new game for me with my rifle.

Re: Preparing for first match

got'em, what else do I need.I might as well get started off on the right "rabbits foot"!

From what I understand it is an F class match with target scaled for the 200 yard limitations of the range.

Ok. I have no idea what kind of shooter you are or if you've ever done anything like this before, so if I offend you in any way, I apologize in advance.

This is you first match. The most important preparation thing is to show up with your rifle, ammo, a bipod, eye and ear protection and something to write on.

Once there, the most important thing in the match is to compete safely and follow the range commands. Don't worry about winning, worry about competing safely and completing the course of fire. Look around to see what the folks are doing during prep time, and then concentrate on your target and have fun. Just shoot the very best way you can, and learn about the competition. Keep your ammo close to you, don't move around, find a comfortable position, learn about it. Don't shoot other people's targets, shoot yours.

When you finish your string, make sure your rifle is safe, pick up your stuff and move it out of the way. Look at what people are doing. Make mental notes of how things work, what you are learning and ask questions. LISTEN to the answers.

I do not know if you have pits or how scoring will work, but pay close attention to that part and learn how it's done and do it quickly and accurately.

At the end of the competition, make sure you have all your gear. Turn in the scores and listen to what people are talking about.

Overall, don't act like a know-it-all, ask good questions and the old timers will be happy to help you and point you in the right direction. If you brag, you will be ignored.

Make sure your rifle is ready for the match. Check the scope and all the screws. Make sure you have the required ammo plus a few extra rounds. Bring just a few things to the line; ear and eye protection, ammo, rifle, mat, bipod, rear bag and something to write with. I use a small aluminum paper holder that I bought at Office Depot for $5. In it I keep plot sheets and score cards and my come-ups and stuff. Plus a couple of pencils.

You may need snacks, water and stuff, but that's up to you and where the match is.

In my vehicle, I keep a complete set of tools and cleaning equipment and spare parts. I have chairs, spotting scope, and all sorts of other junk, but I bring only one box to the line with my rifle case.

Good luck to you, let us know how you did, and be SAFE. And most of all, have fun.

Always keep a spare jungle penetrator in your cargo pocket.

Thanks Sig685, that is exactly the advice I am looking for. That is how my first IDPA match went. Alot of observing and taking mental notes, I have greatly improved since then from the help I recived from the seasoned guys. Yes, always Safety first and foremost. It doesn't really matter how I score I am just looking foward to learning and hanging out with people who have the same interest. This is a new game for me and I am willing to watch and listen for along time to come in order to get good at the game. I am aware ain't nothing worth doing easy. Good luck and good shooting.
I will post the results of my learning and scores after the match, weather permitting.

Reeljob

Rifle
Bipod
RearBag or whatever you use
Ammo, only take the required amount to the line with you, ie 2 sighters and 20 rounds for score, take 22 rounds
Pen or Pencil
Shooting matt of some kind
Chamber flag
Eye and Ear Protection for the pits and while shooting
Snacks and water in the car\truck
Spotting scope will help when score keeping
Condoms and Lube

427Cobra, I disagree with your statement about only bringing the exact amount required for the string to the line. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! I bring my complete ammo box with me, for 2 reasons. 1- If I shoot 20 X in a row, the rules say I continue shooting until I drop out of the X. 2- If I have a problems with a round, the last thing I want to do is run out. The second to last thing I want to do is get up and get another round out of my gear off the line or worse in my SUV.

What can go wrong you say? After dozens F-class matches, I have seen several cases where you need more than your alloted 22 rounds. I had a misfire for the first time in several thousands rounds during a match this past weekend. Yes, I was shocked, but I pulled out the cartridge and pulled the next one which worked fine. Stuff happens and at the worse time, deal with it and move on.

Another time, a cease fire was called for some reason or other and I had to pull the chambered round out of my rifle. That load has the bullet jammed into the lands; you do the math. I simply put the now empty case back in the box, punched the bullet out with a cleaning rod and when firing resumed, I loaded the next round in the box.

Another time I fat fingered the bolt, the round was not in properly and the bullet was damaged. I put the cartrige in the box and loaded the other one.

Yet another time, the target puller pulled the target out from under me just as I fired. The puller acknowleged his mistake and I was awarded another shot. I just pulled one more out of the box.

In the vast majority of matches, I will have shot exactly 66 rounds. But I always have a few extra, just in case and it has saved my bacon at least four times.

To make sure that I use exactly the proper number of rounds, I count 22 rounds in the box and turn the next cartridge over to act as the stopper. I also keep track of my rounds fired by writing the score of the previous shot after firing the current round and going to pick up the next round. After my last shot I simply insert the chamber flag instead of the next round. Force of habit.

Also, be aware that 1000 yard competitions have unlimited sighters, as per rule 17.5.1. I have fired in Palma-courses (800/900/1000) where unlimited sighters were used at 800, but only two sighters were allowed at 900 and 1000.

It is my opinion if you need a spotting scope to see your score and impact in F-class, you have the wrong riflescope for this game.

Well, I make it a policy of mine to never discuss other people's sexual habits; it's none of my business as long as you don't disturb me when I'm on the line.

If you believe that it will help reduce your stress level, then by all means knock yourself out.

I am reducing my stress level, hence the joke, its the internet.