• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Preparing for Rifles Only

rware91

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2009
Spring, Texas
I will be attending PR 1&2 in March and I need a little help preparing.I would really appreciate any advice from people who have attending rifles only training.

Ammo- I usually handload, is this the way to go for rifles only, or is it better to just purchase quality match ammo?

Rifle- I have a remington 700 in 308, with a bartlien 26 inch barrel with a mcmillan a5. This is set up for f class. the gun is super heavy. Would it be better to just use my stick or try to borrow one from family?

sling- i dont usualy use a "sling" so who makes the best one for this application?

Cleaning- I use dewey rods, since everything has to fit into a pack, who makes a good cleaning kit or what should i include in my homemade kit?

Pack- Who makes the best pack with a built in hydration system that i can fit all of my gear into?

thanks for all of the help, i am excited about attending this class.
Ryan

Re: Preparing for Rifles Only

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rware91</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will be attending PR 1&2 in March and I need a little help preparing.I would really appreciate any advice from people who have attending rifles only training.

Ammo- I usually handload, is this the way to go for rifles only, or is it better to just purchase quality match ammo?
<span style="font-weight: bold">
Caliber 308? If it's not a "hot" load and it is consistent, than you can use your ammo. If you prefer to use match, makes sure it's 175smk. Corbon makes good match ammo.</span>

Rifle- I have a remington 700 in 308, with a bartlien 26 inch barrel with a mcmillan a5. This is set up for f class. the gun is super heavy. Would it be better to just use my stick or try to borrow one from family?

<span style="font-weight: bold">What is "super heavy"? If it's unmanageable then obviously it will not do you any good. However, you should train and fight with the same weapon so why you would take this time to mess with a new (to you) rifle when the one you have is excellent is not a great idea.</span>
sling- i dont usualy use a "sling" so who makes the best one for this application?

Cleaning- I use dewey rods, since everything has to fit into a pack, who makes a good cleaning kit or what should i include in my homemade kit?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Don't worry about cleaning your rifle. A custom barrel should be able to handle 300+ rounds without fouling, especially in 308. Make sure it's clean before you go, put about 10 fouling shots through it, and don't worry about cleaning.</span>

Pack- Who makes the best pack with a built in hydration system that i can fit all of my gear into?

<span style="font-weight: bold">There are a ton of packs out there. I use Kifaru or Maxpedition, SO Tech or Spec Ops. All will be more than adequate for what you need.</span>

thanks for all of the help, i am excited about attending this class.
Ryan</div></div>

Join and read all of the online training and try to put that into practice between now and then. It will make your learning curve much easier and the concepts not foreign to you when you show up. Also, go with a great attitude as Jacob is a TOP NOTCH instructor as is Lindy and Frank so you will learn a great deal.

Be prepared to have a great time too.

Thanks for the detailed response. I am looking forward to having a great time while learning and expanding my skills behind my rifle.

Lindy,
Thanks for posting, I consider myself a begineer in this sport so any technique shown or instructed will be taken and performed to the best of my ability. I saw the the equipment list and was just trying to get some suggestions on the specifics, plus any tips. Thanks for all the help, that rifles only has already given. Jacob responded to my emails on new years day. I am excited to learn from the dedicated and professional instructors that rifles only has.
Ryan

You won't be humping TOO much, so I wouldn't worry about the weight of the rifle. Tony (TBurkes) makes a GREAT sling that you can order from Rifle's Only's website. I HIGHLY recommend the Bi-Athalon sling. It works for slung shots perfectly and you can use it as a traditional biathalon, a two point sling, or a three point sling! I love mine!
If you know your handloads work, then those should be fine, but I highly recommend SWAmmo's 175s. $1 a round for match grade bullets is pretty damn good!
Cleaning...I have yet to clean a rifle at Rifle's Only...But a cleaning rod of some type is always handy for removing obstructions if necessary.
Good packs can be had here: http://www.eberlestock.com if you want to spend some money. If not, anything that'll hold some ammo and a camelback will do!

You'll have a great time at R/O and there is a possibility I'll be seeing you there! (all depends on work!)

WuLitian thanks for the reply. thanks for the advice on the rifle. I was worried about it but am feeling better and better now. Due to time i think i will just purchase the match ammo. hope work, will sort itself out and you can come.

One thing which you should consider before you show up is your trigger. Make sure it is set to a suitable weight for a field trigger. You will be making shots from improvised positions, often under stress, with your heart racing and chest heaving. That is not the place for a several ounce F class trigger. I have seen several people end their day at RO early because of a poorly suited trigger weight.

As for your other questions,

- TAB Gear makes great slings. I have many of them. You will benefit from learning how to use one properly and this will be a great time to learn.

- Ammo is a personal choice. Make sure it is consistent, safe, and will stay supersonic across a variety of density altitudes. There are some pretty big weather shifts down in Kingsville. Just dont switch mid class. You need to build experience and confidence. Changing too many things at once is not a good idea.

- You shouldnt need to clean a good barrel during the class. Bring equipment to clean your bolt, lug recesses, chamber, and trigger. It is dusty down there. I bring a boresnake and pull it through if needed.

- If your rifle is the one you want to get better with, then bring it. If you are looking at changing configurations and can borrow one in that style, you could go that route. Many skills learned will be the same from rifle to rifle. Some small things, however, will be modified based on the weapon and I would want to learn/practice them on the gun I will be using in the future.

- You can use almost any backpack. It is not THAT strenuous. DO bring weather gear. Again, weather changes down there and can be harsh at times. The stickers can be a bit....numerous. You can get by with a water bottle if you dont want to bring a heavy hydration bladder. I try and stay light.

As Lindy said, keep and open mind and try to apply what you are told. My time at RO has increased my skills greatly. The Dos Equis isnt a bad idea. Remember, warm, not chilled.

Sean

Rware91, I am looking to attend this course we'll have to get in touch. Send me a pm when you get a chance.
Rthur